28 Gallon SW Build...hopefully...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A little confused....ammo went from about 3-4ppm to about .25 in 24 hours....nitrites still high, but then my nitrates dropped way down...any ideas?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111004_175644.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111004_175644.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 71
Did you do a water change? Only way for nitrates to drop is through water change. There as some ways people do it in well established tanks but in your case that would be the only way. Either that, or you may have messed up the test somehow. I would run the nitrate one more time. Based on the Am and Nitrite, I would say you have a colony of BB but it may not be a strong colony yet. I would continue to dose with Pure AM for a while longer, trying to bring it up to 4ppm each time. Once Am and Nitrite disappear quickly AND the nitrate climbs and stays high, you should be good to do 20% water changes until you get the nitrates below 5 but preferably close to 0. Then you can SLOWLY add a couple of fish.

Just an update..still cycling...can take 4ppm of ammo to zero in 24 hours or less...nitrites still high...nitrates still around 20-40ppm.

Getting there. :) Like twitch said, slow and sure will give you a very stable tank I think. Can't wait to see it come together.

Ya im in no rush...cause im still trying to tweak this skimmer...figure how mich top off water is gonna be needed. Lots of fun!

Ok so i put a lil too much ammo in last night...like around 5ppm so thats why the ammo still shows up a little. The nitrites have totally dropped off and the nitrates are around 10-20ppm. Ammo is at .25 gonna bring back up one more time and then see where am at.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111011_205829.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111011_205829.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 63
Ohhh yaaa finally...lol. this skimmer is so hard to adjust some time. Some days it fills up with water in a few hours...other days its always dry

wish i knew more about skimmers. im sure more experienced aa members could suggest some way to get it dialed in.

what kind of skimmer is it and how deep of water is it in?

Lol i think so...could i put two clowns in there?

As long as they are the same and one is bigger than the other. The bigger one will become the female and the smaller one the male over time. There will be a little aggression during that process but shouldn't be too bad. You can do "some" mixing and matching but you have to be careful which ones you mix or it will be trouble.

I'm assuming you mean perculia with perculia ocelaria with ocelaria.

I know aussy b&w will mix with Ora ocelaria.

Spelling is off I'm sure.

I just want your average clownfish...the sterotypical nemos...since i was 5 i've wanted them...22 years of waiting is now over...lol. need a CUC and my shrimp and ill be sittin pretty till i decide on a light and corals

I just want your average clownfish...the sterotypical nemos...since i was 5 i've wanted them...22 years of waiting is now over...lol. need a CUC and my shrimp and ill be sittin pretty till i decide on a light and corals

I wanted B & W but was overruled by my wife and my 14 year old daughter. They insisted on Nemo. Can't say I am overly disappointed though. LOL

Ya i really like them...that and cleaner shrimp and fire shrimp...i think they are gorgeous

Back
Top Bottom