29 + 10 planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hadn't considered that the hardness booster might affect the shininess of their shells.

The rabbits have pitting, but I'm not sure what's new and what was there when I got them. The two mystery snails we've had for a while look like their shells are thin.

I am genuinely embarrassed to post some of these pictures, but hopefully I can get some help to get them healthy again.

1490110767213.jpg
1490110804661.jpg

Bonus blurry kuhli loach doing what kuhli loaches do.
1490110876171.jpg

I'm guessing honestly. I use Prime. But my snails definitely don't like it when I use more than the recommended amount. I have coral/aragonite in my canister too.

I use 50% RO/DI water with Seachem equilibrium to add back missing needed minerals.

I saw the pitting in shells when my water was too soft and ph was below 7.

Water is hard to control!

1490135779936.jpg
Maxime is feeling better.

I did get Prime and some carbon, so I'll try those when I get home. I love my snails. I want them to be healthy and happy.

And it pains me to point this out but they do lose something of their beauty when they age. A little less bright and irregular.

And it pains me to point this out but they do lose something of their beauty when they age. A little less bright and irregular.
They'll always be gorgeous to me.

I need to figure out a safe and consistent way to increase carbonate hardness.

1490197253149.jpg
This breaks my heart. The broken part at the bottom was from a fall several months ago, but the erosion at the apex is recent.

The oozing snail failed today's sniff test. All of the other snails are behaving normally, eating and pooping like champs.

Is it possible she is trying to physically squeeze into a spot she is to big for and scraping the shell on a rough rock or something?

Not sure if crushed coral will counter the shell erosion.
In my planted tank and shrimp tank I have been using (inconsistently) Calcium Montmorillonite Clay to increase the calcium content. It's made for promoting clear water and health in koi ponds. I have used cuttle bone in the past but it takes forever for it to dissolve.

There's no way to bring shell back once it's gone, but I don't want it to get worse. I had a cuttle bone in the tank until very recently.

I was looking at calcium chloride at Petco the other day wondering if that might do any good. I'll check out the montmorillonite.

1490299575060.jpg
Synchronized pooping.

I did some research, and calcium in the water column and food have no effect. It's entirely pH. I usually do my water tests in the afternoon. I'll check pH this evening just before I turn the CO2.

Products like Correct pH are really attractive right now.

Last edited:
Never heard of that calcium clay stuff? I love learning!

Since I added the calcium/aragonite last year my PH has never dropped below 7.4.

But I don't use Co2 so I'm not sure how that comes into play.

Last edited:
1490368233773.jpg

Kuhli under the bridge has been with us since January 7th. To the right of the zucchini joined us February 4th. Right by the glass came to our home March 15th.

I think they do well in our tank!

And, yes, ourmg nerites lay eggs on other snails.

It's amazing how fast this little Khuli's grow when they are happy. And they look happy.

I added aragonite sand. I rinsed a lot but not enough. Added quilting batting to the filter to get the dust out.

I hope the kuhlis stay happy. They prefer the lowest pH of all the inhabitants of that tank.

My tank is running 7.4 to 7.8. The Khuli's are ok as long as the changes are gradual. They freak out if anything changes to fast.

Back
Top Bottom