29 + 10 planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have eight mystery snails, and these two have taken to lolling out of their shells. Those tentacles are waving. Sometimes they lift their siphons, but they hang out on their backs. I've picked them up a couple of times to make sure they're okay, and they suck right back in to their shells, so that's good?

I put them in the isolation box so I can keep an eye on them. We're leaving town for a few days this weekend, and I don't want them to die while we're gone. Or before then... But definitely not while we're gone.

If they keep falling from your tank your water lvl is to high. To keep ms the water lvl needs to be 1" or 2" preferably below the tanks top.

Snails be lazy? I've had some float or lay around for a few days and then *poof* their fine. After relations....tired...?

If they do it right after a water change then suspect the change has stressed them.

Still love that dinosaur. I never know if he is going to a party or something or coming back from one. I miss the old pirates in a chest bubblers - don't really see knick knacks like that anymore here (I refuse to embrace spongebob squarepants ornaments though lol - I have my pride).

I never fancied the Spongebob ornaments myself... but I may be biased. I was never allowed to watch that show (but never had any desire to, anyways). :lol:
Just the other day I was in Petco picking up some supplies for my hermit crabs and fishies (and, of course, checking out all the other animals), and as I was admiring the chameleons, I saw a family with two small kids walk by.
It looked like they'd only come for dog and cat food, since that's what their cart was full of and they were headed for the checkout, but then the little boy stopped in front of the rack of bettas.
"Can we get a fish?" he asked excitedly.
"No," his dad said.
"Why not?" his mom told him, giving her husband a "please let him have this fish or we'll never hear the end of it" look.
"Okay, sure," his dad obliged, and the little boy and his sister started jumping up and down and screaming happily. "But you have to take care of it."
They eagerly promised that they'd "take the best care of it in the whole wide world".
I thought this was adorable- but I worried that they wouldn't get the right sized tank or that they'd be told those terrible "betta cubes" (literally the size of a mug, if not smaller) were a great home for their new pet. I decided not to say anything- as usual, because last time I saw this scenario and tried to help politely, I got a bunch of sass thrown in my face ("You're just a kid! What could you know? How can a tank even be too small for a betta, they live in puddles in China or something!"). So I went over to the tarantulas and minded my own business.
When I'd finished checking out the reptiles, I decided I'd better go (I had other things to do, sadly, as much fun as looking at all the animals was). I headed to the checkout and passed the same family, who had now added one betta, some rainbow gravel, a bottle of water conditioner, and food to their cart.
"Pick out a tank," the father told his kids.
As I'd expected, they rushed off into the aisle where the impossibly tiny betta tanks are. I just kept walking, but then I heard the boy yell "Let's get the Spongebob tank!".
I sighed as I checked out, knowing exactly what tank he's talking about. It's a half gallon tank. That poor fish would not only have to live in the most miserable tiny box for the rest of his life, he'd have to live in a Spongebob box, seeing that deranged yellow sponge every day... *shudder*
That incident even further cemented my dislike of Spongebob. If I ever have kids, not only will that show be banned from my house but uttering the name of it will be equivalent to a curse word. :D
(Sort of went on a tangent here... I blame Spongebob.)

Still love that dinosaur. I never know if he is going to a party or something or coming back from one. I miss the old pirates in a chest bubblers - don't really see knick knacks like that anymore here (I refuse to embrace spongebob squarepants ornaments though lol - I have my pride).

Bubbles matches the background, and the snails love to ride him, which is hilarious to watch.

Sponge Bob was big while I was in undergrad, and some of the psych students had put together a study about how tv affected cognitive function. They found that Sponge Bob was uniquely disruptive.

That poor fish would not only have to live in the most miserable tiny box for the rest of his life, he'd have to live in a Spongebob box, seeing that deranged yellow sponge every day... *shudder*

You know, for a bit I thought you were going to surprise me, tell me that you were so proud that they walked out with an Aqueon 10 gallon kit. but no, you broke my heart.

That's really good growth. You could take clippings and spread them to other parts of the tank.

Thank you! Sometimes pieces of the rotala break off, and I just stick those in the sand on the edge of what has become a forest. I will tell you, though, it is impossible to remove guppy fry at this point.

I agree looks good. How do you dose?

I'm trying to balance CO2 with pH right now, so it's still in transition. I'm using three pumps of NilocG Thrive twice a week, two teaspoons of NilocG hardness booster with water changes, and-- because even with the aragonite the pH drops to 7-- one tablespoon of baking soda twice a week.

I switched from Excel to Metricide a couple of weeks ago. I had been using about a tablespoon (I know!!! I know!!!) of Excel daily before I got the aragonite just because I was struggling to keep the pH up so that my snails wouldn't dissolve. I'm using about a teaspoon of Metricide now.

Those snails also fertilize the plants quite heartily. Still, I have low nitrates, usually just around 10.

I have a Current Satellite LED+. I use a cloudy setting from 8am to noon and then again from 4pm to 8pm. It's on a moonlight setting in between. I turn the CO2 on about when I get up, usually between 7 and 7:30 (we just need to hook the solenoid up) and leave it on until the drop checker turns lime green, which usually is around 6pm. I've been noticing that it changes a lot more slowly than I like, though. I don't think there's anything to be done about that.

I have a little bit of algae-- I don't mind the green algae because the snails eat it, but there's some powdery dusty stuff that I'm trying to keep down.

Speaking of CO2, I'm noticing the fish near the surface. I had closed the needle valve to the 20 long. I wonder if that increased the pressure too much on this one.

Bubbles matches the background, and the snails love to ride him, which is hilarious to watch.

Sponge Bob was big while I was in undergrad, and some of the psych students had put together a study about how tv affected cognitive function. They found that Sponge Bob was uniquely disruptive.

You know, for a bit I thought you were going to surprise me, tell me that you were so proud that they walked out with an Aqueon 10 gallon kit. but no, you broke my heart.

Thank you! Sometimes pieces of the rotala break off, and I just stick those in the sand on the edge of what has become a forest. I will tell you, though, it is impossible to remove guppy fry at this point.

I'm trying to balance CO2 with pH right now, so it's still in transition. I'm using three pumps of NilocG Thrive twice a week, two teaspoons of NilocG hardness booster with water changes, and-- because even with the aragonite the pH drops to 7-- one tablespoon of baking soda twice a week.

I switched from Excel to Metricide a couple of weeks ago. I had been using about a tablespoon (I know!!! I know!!!) of Excel daily before I got the aragonite just because I was struggling to keep the pH up so that my snails wouldn't dissolve. I'm using about a teaspoon of Metricide now.

Those snails also fertilize the plants quite heartily. Still, I have low nitrates, usually just around 10.

I have a Current Satellite LED+. I use a cloudy setting from 8am to noon and then again from 4pm to 8pm. It's on a moonlight setting in between. I turn the CO2 on about when I get up, usually between 7 and 7:30 (we just need to hook the solenoid up) and leave it on until the drop checker turns lime green, which usually is around 6pm. I've been noticing that it changes a lot more slowly than I like, though. I don't think there's anything to be done about that.

I have a little bit of algae-- I don't mind the green algae because the snails eat it, but there's some powdery dusty stuff that I'm trying to keep down.

Speaking of CO2, I'm noticing the fish near the surface. I had closed the needle valve to the 20 long. I wonder if that increased the pressure too much on this one.

Thanks for the detailed information.

Back
Top Bottom