29 + 10 planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The rabbits enthusiastically eat lotus plants, guppy grass, and crypts. They kept digging up the dwarf baby tears but the volume never seemed to decrease. I moved them because I was sick of replanting.

They are amazing to watch and have distinctive personalities. They breed in the tank, but just maybe a couple babies each month. I like them a lot.

Lol. If I could overnight a giant mystery snail to Caliban and get a pic when he opened it....I imagine it would be priceless.

I might go full snail killer. No I'm not that bad with them I just kinda don't see the appeal. Fish and shrimp yeah....having said that I do think it's cool and unique to have people....well two actually that are so enthusiastic about them. It's intriguing to say the least.

I use these great stainless steel screens over the filter inlet. It prevents fry from getting sucked up, but they do get clogged occasionally. When that happens, I take it off, scrub it with a toothbrush, and stick it back on. This morning it was clogged, so I took it off. I didn't have time right then to scrub it, so I set it aside. Within a few hours, the filter media was rising. Grumble. I emptied the filter housing and.... A terrified kuhli attempted to escape but found only walls.

How the heck did you manage that, little loach?

Wow - so got through the filter inlet? Was this one of the good size ones? Makes me rethink on getting some with the canister filters.

It did not get through the screens, and it was a pretty small one. I'm really glad it's okay!

••••••

It's easy to not see how quickly these fish grow. We were at the fish nerd place, and I couldn't believe how much smaller the fish there looked.

Looking at the furcata made me want to add just a couple more to the school....

I've decided that, if/when the main mama guppy dies, all of the gravid females are going back to the store. Then maybe I can add to the furcatus school.

I moved the two unhappy snails to the Spec just to see if the lack of CO2 had any effect. They are perking up a bit but not a lot, so I was sitting there staring at them. Suddenly, a little black speck jumped up and then swam right back in!

My mental snapshot looked like a tiny black beetle, but I do not trust my eyes for how tiny and fast it was.

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I use these great stainless steel screens over the filter inlet.

I've been meaning to thank you for the suggestion a while back. That screen has almost stopped the rising-media problem I had in that one filter.

I emptied the filter housing and.... A terrified kuhli attempted to escape but found only walls.

How the heck did you manage that, little loach?

Reminds me of the time, years ago, that I found a Cardinal Tetra swimming happily in the media chamber of a hang-on-back filter. The little guy must've leapt out of the tank during the night and was lucky enough to land in the filter, instead of the floor. He was probably wondering where everyone else had gone. :lol:

Aren't they great, @Barliman?

20170428_155024.jpg
I didn't take a before picture, but if you go back a few pages you can see that the Java Fern was just a mess. These are all little plantlets I removed. Some of them not so little.

20170428_161526-01.jpg

20170428_155725.jpg
This rotala is so long!

20170428_161520-01.jpg
Could be better. I'll work more on it soon.

Thank you, Cal. It's my underwater garden.

You guys, I am so sad. Blackberry, one of the small purple mystery snails, is dead this morning. She was cruising yesterday and showed no signs of distress. Yesterday evening, she and Vanilla were sharing some bow-chicka-wow-wow, and this morning she was very dead. She was on the sand where they had been, out of her shell in a bizarre position. Is Vanilla a murderer? Is this even a thing? I haven't yet searched, but what am I going to find looking for mystery snail fatal sex?

I am blown away. I don't know what to do! Vanilla is huge, and Blackberry was very small. Could this just have been too much "man" for her?

Sad for your loss. I know you'll miss her. I've never correlated copulation with sudden death but I suspect it could be possible. I think the snails are air breathing. If she was down too long....

I just tried to make an account on applesnail.net to ask about this, but the signup page was garbled and bizarre. I went back and realized that there hasn't been much activity since 2013.

This and the two inactive snails (who seem to be doing better in the Spec, but not as much as I'd like) has me very upset. I can take my dog to the vet, but there's so little I can do to even find out what's wrong. In the meantime, I may be doing something that I could very easily change that would make them happier, but I have no idea what.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom