2nd Time Around Fishless Cycling 120gal Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually 6.4 is a low pH for me. I'm doing the water change now. I have a python that sucks the water out. So I'll put in a pinch of well ground up fish food and dose it to 3-4ppm. I do have 24 pounds of crushed coral because I needed some and the store only sell 25 pound bags. So I have a lifetime supply of that. As soon as it is full again, I'll give you the new water stats.
Thank you!:dance:

Actually 6.4 is a low pH for me. I'm doing the water change now. I have a python that sucks the water out. So I'll put in a pinch of well ground up fish food and dose it to 3-4ppm. I do have 24 pounds of crushed coral because I needed some and the store only sell 25 pound bags. So I have a lifetime supply of that. As soon as it is full again, I'll give you the new water stats.
Thank you!:dance:

Oh!!! For some reason I thought around 6.4 was your natural value, I just sawit's normally 7.6.

You had a pH crash. You're a lot closer than you think to being done. If you have a mesh bag, add a good sized handful of the crushed coral into it and jam it into the filter if you have room. That will buffer your water, keep everything stable and help finish up the cycle.

Just do the pwc, add the CC, dose it back up to 3-4ppm of ammonia and watch it the next few days.

I think the no2 dropping overnight is a great sign...now we've just got to get everyone awake and working again after the pH crash.

Actually the NO2 did not drop overnight. On 7/8 it was .25 and on 7/15 it was 0. I was only checking the ammonia daily and not the NO2. But we'll see.
I'll add the crushed coral to the filter. - Would it do to just drop the bag of coral into the tank? or do I HAVE to put it in the filter?

Ann7667 said:
Actually the NO2 did not drop overnight. On 7/8 it was .25 and on 7/15 it was 0. I was only checking the ammonia daily and not the NO2. But we'll see.
I'll add the crushed coral to the filter. - Would it do to just drop the bag of coral into the tank? or do I HAVE to put it in the filter?

The filter is best because it disperses the dissolved contents better, but anywhere will help. If nothing else, place it near the intake or the output.

Keep a close eye on the pH for the foreseeable future. If you see any drops...time to break out the Python and add more CC. Now that we've got the coral in there, I expect things to start happening much faster and more by the book.

Another concern I have is that I have South American Cichlids and they like soft water. Will the cc harden the water a lot?

Ann7667 said:
Another concern I have is that I have South American Cichlids and they like soft water. Will the cc harden the water a lot?

The CC is just to get your cycle done. Once it is complete, you'll remove the crushed coral and the big water change at the end removes the traces of it from the tank restoring it's natural values. Just a little tool we use for cycling...nothing with lasting effects once it's done ;-)

Okay, terrific.
Here are the before/after 50+% water change parameters:
ph 6.4 to 7.0
Amm 2.0 to 1.0
NitrItes just zero
NitrAtes 20 to 10
Temp. 92 to 85

I added 2 oz of Amm and I'll check in a while to see where it is.
I'll put in the crushed coral.

Looks good ;-). I'm 99.999% certain the pH was the issue. Things should start picking up in the next couple days.

That's good!
The coral has been added.
Ammonia has been dosed up to 4ppm (only took 2 ounces) :D
There is just one more thing - I noticed this in the tank this morning, but there are these little white things floating around in the water and being pushed around by the current in there. As the water level receded, some of them were stuck on the side of the glass. Do you think some flying thing laid eggs in there? . . . that hatched and died? Yuck! Can't imagine what that was.
It was not in the tank before, because I changed out everything, the sand, all the hoses, I even bought new pipes for my Rena filter, washed the tank until there was not even one bubble. My husband pressure washed everything that was in there, like the interior of the filter and it had all brand new media in it. It's the darndest thing; I just can't imagine what it is. Any ideas?

Ann7667 said:
That's good!
The coral has been added.
Ammonia has been dosed up to 4ppm (only took 2 ounces) :D
There is just one more thing - I noticed this in the tank this morning, but there are these little white things floating around in the water and being pushed around by the current in there. As the water level receded, some of them were stuck on the side of the glass. Do you think some flying thing laid eggs in there? . . . that hatched and died? Yuck! Can't imagine what that was.
It was not in the tank before, because I changed out everything, the sand, all the hoses, I even bought new pipes for my Rena filter, washed the tank until there was not even one bubble. My husband pressure washed everything that was in there, like the interior of the filter and it had all brand new media in it. It's the darndest thing; I just can't imagine what it is. Any ideas?

Were they kind of fluffy looking? Like a seedling floating around in a little gel sack? Had you been adding fish food before? If so, were you grounding it up super tiny? It sounds like it could be a type of mold. A good gravel vac with the Python should knock it out for you, and as long as you don't go crazy, it shouldn't effect your cycle.

I don't think it'd be a flying bug because I'd assume most of them want stagnant water, not nicely filtered flowing water :)

No, I have not added any food at all to the water. That was on my list to do, but has not happened yet. It was not fluffy like a seedling in a gel sac. And could it live in the presence of ammonia? Actually it would be easier to take it out with a net because it's all just floating at all levels in the water. The only reason it "stuck" to the side of the tank was because it happened to be close to the side when I took the water level down and it just stayed high on the glass as the water level dropped.
I'm really not too concerned if we can't identify it.

Here is what has happened in the last couple of days:
Fri. 7/15
pH=6.4; Amm=2.0; NitrItes=0; NitrAtes=20; Temp=92
Did a 50%+ water change
added a bag of cc
turned down temp
dosed Amm to 4ppm

Sat. 7/16
pH=7.0; Amm=2.0; NitrItes=0; NitrAtes=10; Temp=83

So we are moving along now . . . yes? :popcorn:Can't wait to measure the water in the morning!
How much longer do you think it will take? (I know, sounds like - "Are we almost there?" - sorry.)

Ann7667 said:
Here is what has happened in the last couple of days:
Fri. 7/15
pH=6.4; Amm=2.0; NitrItes=0; NitrAtes=20; Temp=92
Did a 50%+ water change
added a bag of cc
turned down temp
dosed Amm to 4ppm
Sat. 7/16
pH=7.0; Amm=2.0; NitrItes=0; NitrAtes=10; Temp=83

So we are moving along now . . . yes? :popcorn:Can't wait to measure the water in the morning!
How much longer do you think it will take? (I know, sounds like - "Are we almost there?" - sorry.)

I would consider two weeks as my best guess...

Could you possibly turn the heat down to about 86F? 92 seems high to me

Eco 23, Here are the stats this morning.
Sunday 7/17
pH=7.0
Amm=1.5
NitrItes=0
NitrAtes=10
Temp=83
Since the heat has settled in at 83 deg (from 91 a couple of days ago) I turned it up a little bit to get it to the mid-80's.
And maybe I should add a little food? I never added the food.
When I first started doing this fishless cycle, I would give my husband a report on it (and it was wearing on him) every day, until, well, it was taking so long, after I got back from my trip I didn't share much about it. So yesterday he asked how it was coming along and he's good for a 5 or 10 second answer, but unfortunately, I couldn't help myself and got into the nitrites being a chemical, blah, blah, blah and the poor guy - his eyes just glazed over. :ROFLMAO: So, I'll just hold my comments to - "We're almost there", ". . . a few more days . . .", something like that. :whistle: Maybe I'll talk about it at Toastmaster (captive audience). Although he took BEAUTIFUL care of the fish while I was gone and even did 2 water changes for me. Great guy!!!:)

Ann7667 said:
Eco 23, Here are the stats this morning.
Sunday 7/17
pH=7.0
Amm=1.5
NitrItes=0
NitrAtes=10
Temp=83
Since the heat has settled in at 83 deg (from 91 a couple of days ago) I turned it up a little bit to get it to the mid-80's.
And maybe I should add a little food? I never added the food.
When I first started doing this fishless cycle, I would give my husband a report on it (and it was wearing on him) every day, until, well, it was taking so long, after I got back from my trip I didn't share much about it. So yesterday he asked how it was coming along and he's good for a 5 or 10 second answer, but unfortunately, I couldn't help myself and got into the nitrites being a chemical, blah, blah, blah and the poor guy - his eyes just glazed over. :ROFLMAO: So, I'll just hold my comments to - "We're almost there", ". . . a few more days . . .", something like that. :whistle: Maybe I'll talk about it at Toastmaster (captive audience). Although he took BEAUTIFUL care of the fish while I was gone and even did 2 water changes for me. Great guy!!!:)

I think your bacteria is still recovering from your pH crashes. Remind me, it's 7.6 out of the tap? If so, I'd add some more CC to try and hold it closer to your natural value. It'll take some time before things kick back into full gear...but once we can keep the pH stable it'll fly along.

I'd dose the ammo back up to 3-4ppm and watch how quickly it starts dropping in the next few days. Your nitrItes are a bit of a mystery to me, but we'll find out soon enough what's going on with our little bacterial friends.

BTW, all of us fish geeks here on AA are also a captive audience who's happy to listen...you don't need to bug the toaster, haha.

Yes, that's right, my tap water pH is 7.6 and my tank water is 7.0 so I added another bag of coral.
I also dosed the tank with 2 oz. of Amm so that should take it up to 3 or 4ppm.
Then tomorrow afternoon I'll test it again and post what happened.
Thanks again for your help.
:fish2:
Point taken about Aquarium Advice being the perfect place to talk about nitrites and such.
:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom