30 gallon tank, Dwarf Lion Fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, finally someone else that does more frequent water changes. Yeah, it will be a pain in the butt, but I've done it before.

Actually it's pretty much a must with reef tanks, so many reefers do this (unless they like seeing diatoms, hair algae, and cyano, and corals dying), but for FOWLR it's not as typical.

That is more for tanks with gravel as opposed to sand. and even with that you still have to change out the water.

Yeah, that's what I thought. What would you guys suggest for a vacuum? I was just going to use a the one you hand pump into a bucket. I am buying my water at my LFS (I got well water and I wouldn't use tap water anyway), so mixing won't be an issue. I only do five gallon water changes every week for the first few months, and maybe cut back to every 2 weeks when I get the tank more established. I would never just do a water change once a month. I wouldn't like swimming in my own poop, so I wouldn't expect them too.

Hey guys, fast question.

What if I dropped the Hawkfish and got a Flame Angelfish instead? Would that work out with the current line up of fish, or do you think I could add that fish and have a total of five living things in my 29 gallon tank?

I don't want to over populate my tank.

Current line up in order of how they will go in.

Tuxedo Sea Urchin
Six Line Wrasse
Dwarf Fuzzy Lion
Spotted Hawkfish

You guys think a Flame Angelfish would be ok in that line up? Or should I drop a fish and put him in the line up somewhere, or just keep the line up I got and forget about the Flame Angelfish. :p Thanks for your advice!!

I'd say add him to the line up, only if you were definitely getting a bigger tank in the future, and as long as they aren't adults when you buy them. If you decided to put him in the line up, I would putt him before or after the wrasse, as long as its before the lion and hawk. Lions and hawks are a little more territorial than the others. Also, I think it would be an nice addition, adds a lot of color to the tank.

It is good how you know that there are limits on the tank, a lot of people over populate their tanks. Which is ok, an only justifiable I they are willing to do the extra maintenance: like higher filtration, skimming, and most of all the extra water changes. And they have to do these things religiously. once again, I think the line up is interesting and great! A lot of different personalities in one tank, and they should all get along. Later! And let is know when your tank is done cycling.

Thanks. Update will be at the end of November. Sorry it's taking so long, but cash flow. :p I got the Fluval 206. So I am on my way.

Hey guys, I was wondering.

I have read that a Canister filter is not good for a SW tank because of it being a Nitrate factory? I bought the Fluval 206 first thing for my tank. So did I waste my money? What filtration do I need? I can't send it back due to it being an "going out of business sale" I got it for $84 dollars. I am going to go with the Reef Octopus BH1000 (I figured might as well spend a little more and get a great skimmer that everyone is raving about).

I am just confused now, because I thought the Fluval would be a great filter for my tank, and some people say not to even have a filter for a SW reef tank.

Personally, I have a sump, so I can't say how great or horrible a canister filter is b/c I've never had experience with it. I think one of the reasons it's considered a nitrate factory is b/c if you don't do maintenance, well that's what will happen. Apparently cleaning it out weekly and replacing the media often is essential to keeping nitrates down. There's lots of people, even with reefs who use it, and I'm sure w/ proper care it would do fine. Is that skimmer an in-sump or external skimmer? If it needs to be in the sump then might as well get a sump and sell the canister!

First, the Fluval canister filter is great. I have a marineland canister, and its awesome! Second, I also have a sump on my other tank. To be honest, in my OPINION, I'd prefer my canister on a Fowlr tank. It makes 0 noise, and keeps my tank spotless! as long as you don't use bio balls or ceramic rings in your canister filter, you are ok. Even then, I kept both with live rock, and never had a problem. And I would completely disagree and I believe most people on this forum would too, that a filter sump or canister is crucial to keeping water quality livable and humane for your tankmates. Fish in the wild have the ocean, our aquariums even if they are 2000 gallons is still microscopic compared to the ocean. I couldn't imagine not having a filter!!!!!!

I have a Fluval 406, and first of all- great deal you got on the canister!! I love my canister! Works great, is so quiet, and my water is great! I do also run a skimmer, so that helps too. I clean my filter every week and usually replace 1 sponge item a week, so my nitrates are good. Like obscure said, they CAN be nitrate factories, but that's if the owner gets lazy about cleaning it. I don't have room for a sump, but I really do like this Fluval.

Thanks for all the advice guys! I am going to sign off for a while and I will not post again until the tank is up and running. Or if I need help setting up the equipment.

Now having said that, I am delayed with my project, I don't think I will have all the equipment until the end of December. So by the first of the year I will be ready to go. So I am hoping to have a tank set up by the end of January.

The reason I am delayed is my own fault. ;-p I bought my wife a Christmas Present that I need to pay off before I can buy more stuff for my tank. I bought her a Pineapple Green-Cheeks Conure. So As you can tell I got a small Zoo going on.

Her father passed away during last Christmas so I needed something BIG to help her get though. So I am hopping this Bird will help her. Every time I went to Jacks she played with the Bird and she really loved it and is always sad when she has to leave it. Now it's going to be hers and she won't even know it. LoL

I have to give a shout out to Jacks for letting me keep the Bird there for a few weeks while I get a temporary home for the Bird, until Christmas! Yes Jacks is overpriced but the Jacks in Harrison Ohio has been really helpful to me and my project, so I am just throwing that out there to give them a little advertising being they are really helping me out. I don't want my wife to know about the Bird until Christmas day, and I didn't want to Risk having the bird being bought before Christmas time, so that's why I bought it now.

So for now my tank is delayed, but is still a working project. If I find a deal I will buy the deal. I just need a Skimmer and a Light for reefs. I can save money and just do a FOWLR tank being I got a Marineland single bright light. Hope to have more information by the end of December!!

All right people!! I am back on track!! So I was able to purchase these two items today!!

Amazon.com: Reef Octopus® BH1000 HOB skimmer with external 1000 pump: Pet Supplies

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036S70ZG/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i02

So now, I am more than ready to go!! I got the skimmer and the powerhead, and a filter. I got the Single bright LED light that I had left over from my older fish tank.

I got this heater!

Aqueon Submersible Heater 200 Watt(100001502), 100001502, Submersible

So am I missing anything? I was going to do a reef tank, but being I got everything to start a FOWLR tank I am going that route and will upgrade later to the Reef. I can save the $250 I was planning for a reef capable light and get the rest of my supply's like salt and sand and the rock.

So here is to getting my tank up and running before my vacation, so I can throw a dead shrimp in and let it cycle!

Good to hear from you again Baron! Sounds like you're ready to go! dump the water in there and let the cycling begin!

Back
Top Bottom