33 long for africans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hondatek

Aquarium Advice Addict
So it's been a week since I had fish in my 33 long. I successfully brought my friends 6 inch Oscar back from a bad case of hole in the head and returned him last week. Anyways I was thinking after I moved to maybe set it up for African cichlids . It's the same foot print as a 55 gallon so I think it would work but I don't know much about the Africans . Anyone think it would work? Any suggestions on stock? Thanks

Yea it could work but not many fish IMO and it should probably be a species tank.

Thats what I was thinking do you have any suggestions on which lake would do best so I can start researching

a 33 long is the smae length as a 55? a 55 is a 4 foot tank,a 33 that long wouldnt be very tall/wide.but anyways,i agree with oscar19 that it should be species only. and just for the record,on oscars its HLLE,head and lateral line erosion

According to them you can do mixed set up but I wouldn't recommend it. They also have fish profiles for practically every cichlid.

Yea I seen that it's just hard with all the scientific names lol. The 33 is same as 55 4 by 1 ft but not as tall I think it's a foot tall. Anyways I dont have issues with keeping just one species I just want something different than I have had before.

Yea I seen that it's just hard with all the scientific names lol. The 33 is same as 55 4 by 1 ft but not as tall I think it's a foot tall. Anyways I dont have issues with keeping just one species I just want something different than I have had before.
ok,i would try some of the colony forming cichlids. after i saw them at my LFS and googled them for a while,i would suggest brichardi cichlids

You can do 10 Pseudotropheus saulosi with 2 males 8 females and something like a BN pleco. Just provide lots of rock and hiding spots.

You can do 10 Pseudotropheus saulosi with 2 males 8 females and something like a BN pleco. Just provide lots of rock and hiding spots.
unless those are shellies,that sounds like a lot,especially if they breed

It's not going to for a few months if I do this . I already have to move a 75 with discus and a 45 fresh and a 75 s w next month so I'm not adding any more work lol

alLexX said:
unless those are shellies,that sounds like a lot,especially if they breed

Often to keep aggression down overstocking is the way to go. You just need to keep up with water changes.

Often to keep aggression down overstocking is the way to go. You just need to keep up with water changes.
i know you stock more to kepp aggression down,but it still seems like a lot. how big do tehy get

They are considered dwarf mbuna. 4" is their maximum size.
IMO,it sounds like too much,but youve probably got more experience than me(would be hard to have less),so i'll listen to you

He can bring down the number but it wouldn't be much eye candy seeing as the females are all yellow and males are blue with black vertical bars. Lower numbers mean less males.

33 longs are great tanks - but i prefer them for apistos. With the same footprint as a 55 you can generally keep almost as many fish as long as you're really good about water changes. I would stick to the smaller africans, although frankly i would stick to the smaller africans in a 55 as well...

Back
Top Bottom