40g planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Brian - is this the 120 community setup?

I vote for angels, too, just because I have not kept them in a while and am seriously considering another angel setup.

The tank sure looks good - the last time I saw it you had done a severe pruning so it was still getting settled. Great job! What is your routine for dosing and maintenance nowadays?

Vry nice tank, Brian. I like the driftwood a lot, too.

Trimming Questions

I'm going to trim my plants tomorrow (friday) but i'm just wondering how often do you trim, it's been 4 weeks since i received the plants and i haven't trimmed them yet, but they've nearly doubled in size. There's roots growing allong the stems on my wistera, pennywort, and cabomba greens. Is there a proper way to trim them or do you just snip them here and there? I may want to replant some of the trimmings as well

TG, I "get the feeling" that there is a correlation between amount of light and "rotting" as well, the ferns in my 29g with PCF lighting blacken way faster than those in my NOF 20g.

as for wisteria, pennywort, and cabomba you can pretty much snip 'em, and wait for new shoots to appear. By doing this repeatedly they get really bushy at the point where you trim them, but kinda sparse underneath. when this happens you can just pull the whole base, and start fresh with new cuttings! Replanting the cuttings is always a good idea, or hold them in a spare tank and take them back to he LFS for store credit maybe!

:D Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

This was my planted discus tank Liz. Sadly I have but one discus left in it after my last bout of the discus plague. However, the discus that perished in this tank were approaching 10 years of age. I had to remove all of the plants and most of the other fish to treat the plague. The current residents are 5 dwarf cichlids, 18 black neons, 8 otos, and one old female discus. I'm looking forward to repopulating it.

And yes Tiffi the air pockets on the background are unsightly. Once the plants grow in they will be darn near impossible to detect.

This tank has 240lbs of eco-complete as a substrate. The lighting is 6 X 55w, 6500K bulbs giving me 330w. I constructed the canopy myself using the light kit from AH Supply. The pressurized CO2 system is plumbed through a Fluval 404, all Milwaukee components and includes a pH moniter. I'm dosing KNO3 daily and it's the only fert being used at the moment. I'm waiting for the plants to tell me when they need something additional.

As Travis could probably tell you, large planted tanks are alot of work. Pruning gets me wet to the armpits and is done more than once a week. I still have some BBA although it's improving greatly, it takes staying on top of. One thing that makes working on this tank even more difficult for me is the size of the canopy. I need to jury rig something that allows me to lift the hinged glass covers which now impeded by the size of the canopy.

Ernie, that is good to know that you have similar experiences with regard to lighting and java fern. I might just do a switcheroo on a few plants and see what happens. I know my Anubias sp. does better in a bit of shade.

tiger barbs are great, i had some for a couple of weeks when i first set up my tank and they were great, i had to give them to my neighbor because everyone was telling me they would mess with my gourami.. i gave them to her and she put them in the tank with her angelfish!! i thought this was a big no no but they dont seem to bother the angels at all, i bought them here at a lfs for 5 for $9

newly planted plants will take a week or two to adapt before they grow at a normalized rate.
I tend to prune weekly, just before a water change, so I can siphon out any stray leaves.

Planting question...

Ok, I got my first batch of plants and the plants with roots or rooted bulbs were pretty easy to figure out what to do...but with plants like these http://www.aquariumplants.com/cgi-bin/cart/LL011.html where it looks like someone just clipped a stem off of a plant...do you just stick this in the substrate?? How deep? I'm using eco-complete. How long does it usually take for the roots to grow out then?

Eco-Complete Info for those who wanted to know more about it

I recently sent this email to CaribSea. The reply is below. Very interesting!

I have a few questions:

1) I have noticed that some bags of eco complete on store shelves look slightly more "milky" than others. Does this mean it is old and that the live water has gone bad?

2) Some people I was talking with online insist that it should not make you water cloudy, but my bag made the water quite cloudy. A very fine light brown dust eventually settled out on top. I am attempting to gently mix it up again so the fine dust settles under the larger grains so I can get a black look. Is this amount of light dust normal?

3) What on earth is eco complete? Is it a manufactured substrate, or just a mixture of natural rocks gathered from different sources, ground down and mixed together?

Thanks!
Hi there. Thank you for your inquiries about our Eco-Complete. Yes, there may be some dust, that is normal. Your outside filter should clear that up pretty quickly. As lots vary, you may see some bags look a bit murky and some don't. It really does not have anything to do with anything critical like the bacteria. However, you do want to make sure that you are not seeing a lot of white rocks in the material. We had a batch go through with a calcium carbonate contaminant (causes increase in pH) a long time ago, but I'm not hearing much about it recently as most everything hass been recalled and replaced. Obviously if you suspect a problem we will replace it, but what you have so far sounds normal.

What is Eco-Complete? It is actually very cool stuff. If you look closely you will notice that most of the grains are round and porous. It is volcanic material, but not just the rock ground down, but the spray that comes out during the eruption. This is why is is mostly round, we don't grind or crush it down. It is therefore, very root and fish friendly becuase it does not have the sharp edges like gravel. We also mix in a bit of finer material to give it two distinct grades for optimium oxygenation to the roots. Eco Complete also contains live bacteria for not only a faster cycle time in the traditional sense, but it also converts fish waste to usuable plant nutrients faster, so the plants don't see the lag time you find with regular substrate set ups. Plsu, the material is geologically recent, so more trace elements like iron are available sooner and longer. There is a reason laterite is red, the iron is so locked up in the mineral that it harldy delivers iron at all. However, when you grind up the rock, it reads high in iron, but it simply can't get out. Eco-Complete is much more soluble for not only iron but other good stuff like potassium, calcium, and more

Anyway, to make a long story short, its good stuff. A well thought out "Complete" substrate that does a lot more than look pretty. I'm sure you'll like it.

Sincerely,

Betsey Moore
CaribSea

ok, yesterday I stuck them all in the same spot because I wasnt really sure what to do with these...so i should spread these all out about a leaves width apart then...each stem?

Back
Top Bottom