40g planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It should be great for CO2, but many have used silicone tubing for years without issues. I'm sure you could find a metal check valve for your pressurized line if you're worried about plastic not holding up to the pressure, or buy some reactor or bubble counter with a built-in check valve. Notice a search for "check valve" on that site gives a popular reactor: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produ... valve&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=All&Nty=1

Discussion on the krib: http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/tubing.html

HTH

Brown java moss has never turned back to green for me, but sometimes new growth will come from browned fronds. IME in the long run it will look nicer if you spread the green growth out, and let the gaps fill with new growth.

Did you use a substrate fertilizer? When I used jobes sticks I got white specks after uprooting, and stopped using them as I think they lead to some algae issues. Uneaten shrimp pellets also leave white specks as they break down.

A water change and gravel vac is an excellent plan. When in doubt, PWC :)

I've gotten thread algae when N bottomed out. Can you get closeups of the algae?

You could increase fish load/feeding or dose a little KNO3, which you can buy dry locally from a hydroponics store or as Grants or Greenlight Stump Remover, or Flourish Nitrogen. With your lighting and even with CO2 injection, I doubt you'll need more than one small N dose a week, but check out Malkore's fertilization sticky.

I have about 11 fish in the tank and am not cycling. I haven't checked my nitrite levels etc... in a week or so. The tank has been up for about 2 months not one as I said earlier. The color is whiteish.

I agree with czcz - I have seen the dead, brown strand grow new green little strands. I have my moss lying in a soap dish as a betta bed (yes, I do sometimes dislike the look of a soap dish in the tank, but the bettas love it so much!) At every water change, I run the moss under the faucet, and reshape it a bit. I put it back in the soap dish a little differently than it was before. If it sits too long in one place it has a tendency to turn brown. So rotate or spread it out like czcz says and you should see a minimum of brown areas. If they get too large, though, you can remove them and new growth should occur soon. I always see the bright green new growth areas when I take it out of the tank.

I'd guess it is decomposing bits of the bulb, since when you get these bulbs so many of them don't actually sprout. I would not change all of the water but I'd try to get a bit of it every two days or so, and eventually you'll get it all. I would monitor water conditions, but I would not worry too much as long as you are slowly working your way through it.

I think once you get your CO2 going well you can skip the Excel, and consider Flourish Nitrogen if your plants are not responding with lush growth and pearling (you should be getting that with this kind of light and proper nutrients). Your best bet is going to be steady CO2 production and that ladder is a great little tool to get the job done in a 10g.

You could also look into growing some plants that have very slightly higher light requirements , like Glossostigma elatinoides ("glosso") and Sagittaria subulata ("dwarf sag"), to name a few, that remain small and should do well in your tank.

Java Moss...

My java moss was getting pretty thick, so I thinned it out today, but made a mess. What's the easiest way to thin out java moss? I used scissors in the tank with both hands, but now have lots of small pieces floating all over, and getting into my filters impeller. I just removed the impeller to unclog again. Just was wondering how others out there trim their java moss when it gets extremely thick. Thanks....

aquarium salt + plants = ?

Hey guys,

Quick question...does freshwater aquarium salt have any adverse effects on a planted aquarium. I think this might be a stupid question. :roll: I wouldn't think there would be any at all as all it does is increase electrolytes and help reduce stress on fish during any illness. Your quick responses are greatly appreciated as always.

Thanks in advance,
Shawn

Thanks for the tip TG. I will get some Flourish Nitrogen. What would you recommend for the dosing routine on it?

Since switching my generator to a 2L my CO2 output is great. I will add the second 2L in a week or so to keep the flow even. At my last check this evening my CO2 was around 27ppm (PH of 7.0 and KH of 9º KH). I've added no buffers but did do a PWC this morning but normally I don't see a KH rise of that much.

I'm sure everyone has their own method of making 2L generators but I'll write mine up because of its very easy to do and also much stronger than most of the DIY rigs I've seen. Also parts are easily available at local hardware stores which supply small plumbing parts.

what do you have it attached to? i think i usually like pull it and i thiknk the strands break? but mine is usually floating around so i dont have to do anything with it

krap101 said:
im sure its not the lilly. but how often do you change the water?

I do about a 25% water change every few weeks. I have a bio wheel and it usually does a fine job. BTW, I love your signature, krap101! Sword of Truth is awesome! :)

I have it attached with black thread. A lot of it has started attaching to the driftwood as well. Maybe next time I'll just rip it away rather than cut with scissors. That way maybe I won't get too many small floaters that gets sucked into my filter. It kind of looks bare now, hopefully if fills in nicely and spreads more evenly now. Is it true that if you use smaller amounts when attaching, that it spreads faster? Originally I did big clumps. Now I've got it thinned out pretty good, so it should fill in nicely?

you can grab and snip like cutting hair or you can cut then suck the loose peices up with a turkey baster but other than that you'll just have to live with the fact that a lot of peices will go all over the place

Sometimes I remove the driftwood and do the trimming in a 5-gallon bucket. This helps with the little peices everywhere

If it's the same "hair" algae as I've had, my rosy barbs eat it a little, and I've heard Florida Flag Fish eat it as well.

Back
Top Bottom