40g planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Would staggering the changing of each bulb reduce/limit the issue? I imagine changing out 2-4 bulbs simultaneously would have a greater impact than changing one bulb every two weeks or or more?

have you been to park pet shop its at 10429 S kedzie 773-779-2011.. they have a very decent selection of freshwater fish, the owner is very knowledgable also..
im not too positive but i think scott;s has the bio for the same price.. have you been to any lfs around lombard, glenn elyn? to my knowledge there are 3, if you need names let me know..

That's crazy. Maybe it tells us that PC bulbs do degrade significantly over time regardless of what we've heard. I've got some 9-12 month old PC tubes in my tank right now that I might change out just to see if it makes a difference.

On the nitrate dosing front, I've found that, if I dose enough African cichlids, pretty soon my nitrate levels stabilize in the 10-20 ppm range and I don't have to dose NO3 at all, the fish do all my dosing for me :p I prefere to dose with Ps. demasoni but I've heard that L. caeruleus and Ps. acei also work quite well. YMMV :wink:

Problem with the Glen Ellyn or Lombard ones is I have to go on a weekend...its impossible to move around out here at night during the week the traffic is atrocious till like 8pm and by that time the mom and pop shops are closed..

What can live with guppies in a tank with plants?

I want to set up a tank of plants anacharis,hornwort,water lettuce, eatable things for my turtle
I'll proabbly be a 30 gallon
I know im going to put guppys in it wild types and 2-3 fancy males.
If possable I'll proably ad a pleco,apple snails and corys
are there any other small fish that can live peacfully with guppies ,preferably schooling fish.
I like rummy nose tetras but I think they need different ph?
I saw alot of very intresting fish at the store. I might just end up with a few tanks

Update on my CO2...and a question

I started my Hagen CO2 system about 2 weeks ago. Instead of the ladder, I used a Red Sea diffuser since I have a 5 gallon tank. The first Red Sea diffuser was defective. After 3 days and no bubbles, I tried to blow through the diffuser and couldn't. The mixture was producing CO2, but it wasn't getting through the diffuser. I got a new Red Sea diffuser that worked well.

I pruned the tank last night. I took out quite a bit of sunset hygro. I took 5 stems that were about 14 inches tall back to the hatchery. I had other stems that I split off and re-planted in my tank. I still have several stems in there, but they're about 6-8 inches tall. They will be taller soon enough! The plant guru at the hatchery said my plants were very nice! They were too nice to cut ; that's why I took them back!

Now, since this tank has the bugs worked out, I started the Hagen system on my other 5 gallon tank. I discovered that the Red Sea diffuser I got for that tank is also broken. This morning, the little barrel was filled with water and the whole line of tubing, up to the top of the tank, was waterlogged. I think the check valve in the diffuser is broken. I got all the water out, filled the barrel halfway again, and set it back up. The same thing happened - the whole barrel filled up and the line of tubing did also.

I may consider other diffusers. I know the place I purchased it from will send me a replacement Red Sea but they're out of stock, and I don't want to give algae a chance to build up in my other tank again. Has anyone used the Eheim diffuser? It looks similar to the Red Sea except it has no built-in check valve. I saw an all-glass diffuser but didn't know if I wanted to use a glass diffuser. I also saw one by Azoo that said it weighed one pound! I guess that one is glass too. What other diffusers does everyone use, or do you have comments on the ones I mentioned? Thanks!

Ok, did I read your post wrong? Will your turtle be in with the guppies?

Pretty much all bottom dwellers such as cory's, plecos, loaches will get along with your guppies. Snails, ADF's, Platy's, and swordtails will work. You have to keep an eye on those tetras and tiger barbs since they are fin nippers, especially if not in a proper school.

Congrats on the compliment from your guru :)

JMO, and I've not used the Red Sea diffusor, but after 2 duds out of 3, I think its a good idea to look at another company. Your first unit not passing gas ( ;) ) is especially disturbing considering the back up of pressure.

Some say sintered glass diffusors are as good as powered reactors. How about one with a separate check valve, assuming your goal is high ppm with redundancy/saftey?

A separator bottle (cap drilled twice for in/out tubing, between the Hagen and diffusor) or putting the Hagen on it's cradle or higher than the tank will also prevent dangerous backflow (where it raises the level of the mix so high it enters the tank).

help aqua scaping my discus tank..

hey guys,

i've just been really inspired by a few tanks that have been aqua scaped, they look fantastic.

i have a 55g tank thats cycling for my discus to be moved and i want to have a go at aqua scaping this tank for them.

does anyone have any ideas what i should do? i already have 2 peices of driftwood in there existing tank i can use, and brown gravel, the light in the new tank is a power-glo

heres a few pics of the new tank
blank1.jpg

[limg]http://www.stuartsmithmusic.com/fish/blank2.jpg[/img]
blank3.jpg

blank4.jpg

Attachments

• blank1.jpg
    blank1.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 12
  • blank2.jpg
    blank2.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 25
  • blank3.jpg
    blank3.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 13
Rummynose Tetras are fine at whatever your pH level is. They will adapt if acclimated slowly. I have them in my tank with a pH 7.6 without problems.

thats true.. if you want to try Parks Pets its pretty cool, they have all of the same fish everyone else has and then more.. dont remember seeing any cichlids though.. :roll:

IMO the easiest thing to do is utilize low light plants. Anubias nana in the forground, java fern tied to the driftwood at a medium height, and some giant val for the background will give the tank a feeling of depth. Good Luck. :D

An t-iasg, I was just wondering if you got all three of the Red Sea diffusers from the same source? It almost sounds like they might have gotten a bad batch. I wonder if they have a lot number on them, it would be good to know if the defective ones were from the same lot or not. Just mentioning it because I have two of these diffusers, both of which work great with no problems at all. It would be interesting to know if anyone else has had problems with them as well.

I've heard that the glass diffusers are really good, but have no personal experience with them. I was too chicken to put glass in the tank for fear of breaking it during a water change with my klutziness!

Sounds like you're getting some excellent results! Can't wait for the pictures.

Sorry, the turtles not going to be in this tank, she's got a 120 gal coming
this tank is to keep her plants in until i feed them to her.
becuase if i put them all in the turtles tank at one time she would shred them and make a mess.
I figured if im going to have a tank with plants I might as well move my guppies into it and then i started thinking about other fish that can live with the guppies
Although my turlte does have to have some fish every so often. I usually give her rosy minnows but was recently informed that while their better feeders than goldfish their still not great feeders and that guppies would be better
I dont know what im going to do about that

do any loaches stay small enough to live in a 30 gallon comunity?
and are the rummy noses likely to be nippers? I dont want my fancy guppys to have their tails all chopped up
how many tetras are recomended to make a proper school?

Yo yo loaches stay small enough for a 30 gallon. They prefer to be in groups of at least 3. Rummy nose tetras IME are not fin nippers. They do well in schools of at least 6, and will pretty much ignore all other tankmates.

Back
Top Bottom