5.5 pico reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lucky13

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,I am new to this web site. So I wanted to start a thread about my tank. Info-ac20, 10w heater, 100gph powerhead, 20w lighting, 5 lbs LS, 4 lbs LR, 5 hermits, 2 snails, black and white clown goby, and a clownfish. Has been up and running since 1/15/11. The black and white goby is on the heater in the first pic. First rock scape in the second pic and second rock scape in the third pic.

Attachments

• image-4221849397.jpg
    image-4221849397.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 209
  • image-3231226647.jpg
    image-3231226647.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 206
  • image-3854513261.jpg
    image-3854513261.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 193
Welcome to AA! Looks pretty good except your clown will more than likely outgrow that tank at some point. Plus, they are messy and may create a bio-load issue in that small of a tank.

Thanks! I know that the clown will out grow the tank, but everything will get moved to a 92 corn tank in a few months.

Looks good, really like the rock. Do you find the ac20 to have too much flow at all? And the 10w heater, does it keep the tank at a constant temp?? I'm setting up a 5 gallon right away here haha.

edit* I see you also have a powerhead, and i was worried the filter would cause too much flow, maybe i should look into more flow..hmmm

kms907 said:
Looks good, really like the rock. Do you find the ac20 to have too much flow at all? And the 10w heater, does it keep the tank at a constant temp?? I'm setting up a 5 gallon right away here haha.

edit* I see you also have a powerhead, and i was worried the filter would cause too much flow, maybe i should look into more flow..hmmm

Thanks, no The ac20 is not too much flow for it. I got the heater for a 2.5 sw tank I had, but it keeps it in the 74 range. With the lights it goes up to the 79 range. Ya, I thought you didn't need the powerhead, but you need it if you want coral.

I don't know if this is off subject, but can you have a frogspawn or a torch in a 5.5? If you have one in a pico can you show a picture of it. Thanks in advance.

Lucky13 said:
Thanks, no The ac20 is not too much flow for it. I got the heater for a 2.5 sw tank I had, but it keeps it in the 74 range. With the lights it goes up to the 79 range. Ya, I thought you didn't need the powerhead, but you need it if you want coral.

I will be putting some frogspawn in my 5 gallon because it's going to be a sexy shrimp breeding tank and my current female loves my frogspawn, i think it would be cruel to move her without a piece of her home haha. Won't be for awhile though.

Is it hard to keep a frogspawn? do you use iodine, calcium, strontium, or just brine shrimp for it? Will the 20w be ok or 36w? Sorry for all the questions.

I don't use anything for it, my weekly water changes make it grow like crazy! What kind of bulb is it? They are actually pretty easy to care for, no feeding is required. The lighting you have is probably fine, 36w would be better.

I have 2 10w screw in pc bulbs, but I am going to get a coralife 36w pc lighting for 20 bucks in a couple of days. Do you know where you can get cheap frogspawns?

I was wondering if I should get sexy shrimp, cleaner, or a peppermint. What do you guys think? What do sexy shrimps do?

I don't know where you could get a cheap frogspawn, maybe put an add on craigslist and someone who has one might cut a piece off for you. Your lfs might sell you a cheap piece too if you ask them to cut one head off.

The sexy shrimp stay small and they are neat to watch because they wave their tail around, they might not be too noticeable though since they usually hide during the day when there is fish around. Mine stays hidden in the frogspawn all day and comes out at night, once she is moved to my pico i think she will be out a lot more.

You could get any of those shrimp really, a blood shrimp is another option, their colors are an amazing deep red, very beautiful.

Thanks for the info! But the only lfs that I know around here is petco and petsmart. Can you do that at petco?

I doubt it, you'd be lucky to see LR at mine at least. I saw a nice zoa colony, too bad it was overpriced and covered in HA.

But you may have a LFS that you had no idea about around you. Google fish store and look for ones in your area that sell *live* fish

At petco they have some frogspawns the size of a quarter for 30 bucks. Is that a good deal? And there are some green and orange zoas with 5-7 head for 13 bucks. Is that a good deal, too?

Back
Top Bottom