5 Gallon Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
fort384 said:
She was out of them already ? I looked everywhere and she was the ONLY source I could find... Good luck.

She has them, but she charges 30$ for shipping not including fish...so I am waiting until I have more money, and then I will hopefully be able to order while she has them.

ahh ok. Yes, mail order fish can get quite expensive for shipping. Keep an eye on aquabid - you might find some pop up there... but beyond that I had the hardest time finding any of them anywhere.

You can probably get some good deals on the plants you are looking for from aquabid too... and the shipping for plants is a lot more reasonable as priority mail is usually the preferred method.

I am considering other stocking options... any ideas? I think someone said something about killifish... I can't remember. I don't want a betta because I want more than one fish in the tank, and bettas like longer tanks. I appreciate any suggestions or ideas.

Yeah that light will definitely grow you some java moss ;)

That looks cool.

fort384 said:
Yeah that light will definitely grow you some java moss ;)

That looks cool.

I really hope the LFS has the plants in soon. I am going to get a lot of stuff for the tank too-a bubble counter, a co2 diffuser, 4dkh solution and hopefully a kh/gh test kit.

absolutangel04 said:
Perhaps either least killifish or else pygmy killifish.
Can you please remind me how long the tank is?

The tank is 10 inches wide and long, and a foot tall.

Hokey Dokey. Thanks for the reminder.
I know you asked about this stocking this tank when you first got it, so you already know your stocking options are a bit limited. Have you considered any of the other mircorasbora? Like maybe erythrmicron? Or perhaps sparkling gouramis or scarlet badis? I am not positive about those last 2, but it seems to me that they would work since they are wanderers more than just horizontal swimmers.
Pygmy sunfish might be an option, but I have heard they are pretty hard to keep alive. If you want to just stick with the chilis, thats cool too.
Another option would be a pair of some other bettas species like B. simplex or rutilans? You could keep a pair of them in your tank IMO. You said you wanted more than 1 fish, but some of these other species would be fine with a pair. Betta Species They may be a bit more than you have time for though, but there are are awesome betta species out there. :)

absolutangel04 said:
Hokey Dokey. Thanks for the reminder.
I know you asked about this stocking this tank when you first got it, so you already know your stocking options are a bit limited. Have you considered any of the other mircorasbora? Like maybe erythrmicron? Or perhaps sparkling gouramis or scarlet badis? I am not positive about those last 2, but it seems to me that they would work since they are wanderers more than just horizontal swimmers.
Pygmy sunfish might be an option, but I have heard they are pretty hard to keep alive. If you want to just stick with the chilis, thats cool too.
Another option would be a pair of some other bettas species like B. simplex or rutilans? You could keep a pair of them in your tank IMO. You said you wanted more than 1 fish, but some of these other species would be fine with a pair. Betta Species They may be a bit more than you have time for though, but there are are awesome betta species out there. :)

Thanks... What are the other kinds of micro rasboras?

Microrasbora rubescens, microphthalma. There is also Microdevario kubotai, gatesi, nana.
Unfortunately, these guys are bit hard to keep straight because people have been changing their scientific names because we are finding out they are more similar to danios than rasbora. The cpd for example has only recently picked up that name because it used to be considered a rasbora.
M. kubotai is one of the more readily available in the trade I believe, as well as M. erythromicron (which is sometimes called Danio erythromicron).

absolutangel04 said:
Microrasbora rubescens, microphthalma. There is also Microdevario kubotai, gatesi, nana.
Unfortunately, these guys are bit hard to keep straight because people have been changing their scientific names because we are finding out they are more similar to danios than rasbora. The cpd for example has only recently picked up that name because it used to be considered a rasbora.
M. kubotai is one of the more readily available in the trade I believe, as well as M. erythromicron (which is sometimes called Danio erythromicron).

Do you think I could have cpds?

That Pet Place has chillis! Im not sure if they are outta stock though. Is micro sword a high light plant?

GodFan said:
That Pet Place has chillis! Im not sure if they are outta stock though. Is micro sword a high light plant?

Yes, microphthalma sword is I high light plant. I have it under my nice good light now. I think thatpetplace had them, but they stopped (like you said.)

Yes, microphthalma sword is I high light plant. I have it under my nice good light now. I think thatpetplace had them, but they stopped (like you said.)
Jerks! jk lol I like the micro sword but dont have high light :) I like your tank though!

Do you think I could have cpds?
Possibly. They are a bit more active than some of the other nanos, so they might prefer more like 12 inches of horizontal space. Thats why I didn't list them. Same thing with ember tetras. But, you can always research them a bit and see if you would comfortable trying it. I do think the chilis would be better. Too bad they are proving themselves to be so elusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom