55 gallon big fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok first search feather fin cat fish the minimum tank requirements is 40 gallons I have a 55 secondly I asked for no advice I asked for suggestions on what kinda fish I should get and I said specifically that I don't want cichlids or oscars and btw I defiantly don't need 125 gallon tank for a predator tank

Ok first search feather fin cat fish the minimum tank requirements is 40 gallons I have a 55 secondly I asked for no advice I asked for suggestions on what kinda fish I should get and I said specifically that I don't want cichlids or oscars and btw I defiantly don't need 125 gallon tank for a predator tank

Btw. Your on a forum that is called "Aquarium Advice" so advice is what you get when you post. 40g may be minimum for a featherfin but im pretty sure its a 40b (breeder) because of the width. Secondly yes if you want more than 1 fish you should get a bigger tank. 55g isnt much for predatory fish because of their territory needs.

Oscars are cichlids....

Well if i just said cichlids someone still woulda said oscars so I had to e specific and there would be room since they're all bottom dwelling I want something mid to top dwelling

Hey guys, I think this is just a misunderstanding. From what I've read, yes a 30 gallon is the lowest tank size it should be in, but more than 40 is definitely preferred. However, they seem territorial, so if you add more fish they won't have enough territory, so using the room analogy it's like if you stuffed 3 people in a room 5 feet long and 2 feet wide. So basically, those fish need lots of territory, so yeah you can't really put any more in. That's just my opinion and understanding...

Yeah the thing hates my RTC but loves my pictus

Not being rude, but you asked for "big fish" some of the "big fish" you currently have are too big. Whereas you could rehome them and get another fish which is big, but can actually live in a 55g . That make sense?

Two fish currently are not too big the other one is fine it minimum is 30g I have it in a 55g and seem perfectly fine with it he has two places where he hides

From what I've read, it depends on the kind of pictus. One grows to be 5", the other grows to 12". And they look exactly the same. Lovely.

So the 5" variety would be fine, bu the 12", not so much. Luckily, I think the 5" are more commonly sold, but I saw some 5" ones at petsmart the other day, and I don't think they would sell full grown adults, so IDK.

Ya, we had an 11" RTC in a 90 gal and it didn't seem big enough. The amount of water changes required wasn't feasible so we re-homed it as soon as we found someone.

My advice/suggestion would be to send the RTC packing, keep the other two and find other, smaller predators.

We have some Butis, Butis crazy Fish, which are predators and are awesome to watch hunt minnows but won't grow super huge.

There are other options besides large fish.

The RTC will be over 2 feet within 2 years if you take care of it and the 55 is too small!

Personally, I think you are not quite getting it. Lets see if I can put it another way for you. You have two fish currently in your tank whose minimum tank size is larger than the tank that you currently have. Therefore, you are overstocked! Stocking has to do with a lot of things besides just physical space; it also includes waste production, swimming space, etc. Just because the tank looks empty to you, doesn't mean you have more room for other fish. Mixing a bunch of aggressive, predator type fish and squeezing them in too small of space means you are going to start seeing more aggression, because they are unable to establish and defend territories, you are going to see fighting and ultimately you are going to start having fish dying.

The answer to your current question is simple - the simple answer is no additional fish is suitable to your aquarium given its current inhabitants.

Personally, I think you are not quite getting it. Lets see if I can put it another way for you. You have two fish currently in your tank whose minimum tank size is larger than the tank that you currently have. Therefore, you are overstocked! Stocking has to do with a lot of things besides just physical space; it also includes waste production, swimming space, etc. Just because the tank looks empty to you, doesn't mean you have more room for other fish. Mixing a bunch of aggressive, predator type fish and squeezing them in too small of space means you are going to start seeing more aggression, because they are unable to establish and defend territories, you are going to see fighting and ultimately you are going to start having fish dying.

The answer to your current question is simple - the simple answer is no additional fish is suitable to your aquarium given its current inhabitants.

Save your breath this dude doesn't understand he has two humane options get a bigger tank or ditch the feather fin and RTC. Anything else is going to go in one ear and out the other.

Ok all you back up of my RTC I have a long time before that thig gets too big the feather fin I'm getting rid of due to the fact I want knives again and I need live Rick for my salt water tank so chill on the feather fin.... The RTC is approximately 5 inches at most it had a long time before it even out grows the cave it's in ok so some of you may think its cruel but if you think having a 5" fish in a 55g tank is wrong there's something wrong with you yes I'll rehome it once its bigger trust me

So do you still want advice? And by the way, they didn't know the feather fin was going until you just said it, so how should they know to "chill"?

Cuz I just decided it and I would like suggestions for predator fish I love clown knife fish I used to have two but they died during a tank swap unfortunately they were beautiful too so I would like things similar to that

Yeeeeeeeeah that won't happen I barley have enough room for a 55 gallon

If that is all you have to work with, then you really need to put the needs of your fish above your 'wants'. If you want a busy tank you need to go with a community tank or African tank. If you want large predatory fish you have to be okay with little to no action in the tank apart from feeding times.
Pictus really shouldn't be kept alone- they are amazing in a shoal, but timid and less interesting when kept singly.
Work with what you have now- I'm working on training my featherfin to come to the surface to feed.

I'm gonna sell my feather fin it's tearing my RTC apart and yeah I wanna get a couple more pictus cuz they're really cool and I love African fish idk why but they're amazing especially the knife family

If that is all you have to work with, then you really need to put the needs of your fish above your 'wants'. If you want a busy tank you need to go with a community tank or African tank. If you want large predatory fish you have to be okay with little to no action in the tank apart from feeding times.

This is my advice to you as well. You cannot add too much "big fish" because you dont have proper big fish housing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom