55 Gallon cichlid breeding setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zooking12

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been keeping fish for about 4 years now and wanted to try something different. Up until recently the only cichlids other than dwarfs that I've kept were angels. But now I wanted to try something different...something bigger. My setups now are as follows:
55 Gallon:
1 large male jewel (Big Mike)
1 large female jewel (Jewel)
6 smaller jewels
7 zebra/leopard danios

40 Gallon:
1 pair angelfish
1 pair kribs
2 white clouds
1 male platy
2 female platies
1 young krib

10 Gallon:
6 ottos
6 Ghost shrimp (cichlid food project)
1 small krib

Could I put some blue acaras in the 55? I hope to someday keep a pair of acaras and a pair of jewels in there with some dither fish. Thoughts? I'm new to the larger cichlids, and would enjoy some advice. Thank you all :)

P.S. My angels refuse to spawn again. It's been months. I've tried rearranging the tank, moving them, adding dithers and the whole nine yards. Any suggestions on that would be great, too. Thanks again

I've been keeping fish for about 4 years now and wanted to try something different. Up until recently the only cichlids other than dwarfs that I've kept were angels. But now I wanted to try something different...something bigger. My setups now are as follows:
55 Gallon:
1 large male jewel (Big Mike)
1 large female jewel (Jewel)
6 smaller jewels
7 zebra/leopard danios

40 Gallon:
1 pair angelfish
1 pair kribs
2 white clouds
1 male platy
2 female platies
1 young krib

10 Gallon:
6 ottos
6 Ghost shrimp (cichlid food project)
1 small krib

Could I put some blue acaras in the 55? I hope to someday keep a pair of acaras and a pair of jewels in there with some dither fish. Thoughts? I'm new to the larger cichlids, and would enjoy some advice. Thank you all :)

P.S. My angels refuse to spawn again. It's been months. I've tried rearranging the tank, moving them, adding dithers and the whole nine yards. Any suggestions on that would be great, too. Thanks again

That 55 is stocked. Overstocked depending on the size of the "smaller" jewels. I've seen jewels that were pushing 6" so please don't let this be your permanent arrangement.

It's not I plan to have this as my end set-up:
55 Gallon:
1 pair of jewels
up to 4 other cichlids
some dithers

I'm just doing this to get a pair of jewels. My LPS will take all the leftovers and any subsequent fry in a heartbeat. I just want to know a scenario or setup in which this will work out

Bolivians prob wont stand a chance with the jewels and blue acara can get up to 6" so your still gonna be over stocked IMO.

A 4ft aquarium with a filter for 100g? Do you mean overstocked as in fish size or overstocked as in bioload? More can be done to accommodate bioload.

A 4ft aquarium with a filter for 100g? Do you mean overstocked as in fish size or overstocked as in bioload? More can be done to accommodate bioload.

I was referring to fish size and tank space. 4' is not that long when you have 4 fish that will reach 6" or more. Jewels can be pretty mean.

I was referring to fish size and tank space. 4' is not that long when you have 4 fish that will reach 6" or more. Jewels can be pretty mean.

Jewels have the potential to get big, but not necessarily the likelihood. The biggest male I have seems to be pretty much finished growing and he's about 3.5" almost 4". The female is about 3" and the rest are 1-2.5" Are there any cichlids other than dwarfs and africans that I can keep in a 55 with a pair of jewels. But before that, CAN I keep a pair of jewels in there? Thanks

Jewels have the potential to get big, but not necessarily the likelihood. The biggest male I have seems to be pretty much finished growing and he's about 3.5" almost 4". The female is about 3" and the rest are 1-2.5" Are there any cichlids other than dwarfs and africans that I can keep in a 55 with a pair of jewels. But before that, CAN I keep a pair of jewels in there? Thanks

The pair of jewels will be fine together. You have to take into account the fact that the jewels will be nasty to tank mates when they spawn. to the point that they are likely to off them first chance they get. I say use the jewels as the center piece a smaller pleco and some dithers and your straight.

Okay then what are good dither fish? My experience with smaller tropicals said zebra danios and my research said that others kept them with cichlids and they were fine. But today they were targeted aggressively and I may have to move them in with the angels. And just out of curiosity are there any other cichlid combos that I could keep in a 55 if jewels were not in the mix?

Okay then what are good dither fish? My experience with smaller tropicals said zebra danios and my research said that others kept them with cichlids and they were fine. But today they were targeted aggressively and I may have to move them in with the angels. And just out of curiosity are there any other cichlid combos that I could keep in a 55 if jewels were not in the mix?

Giant danios have worked for me when housed with bigger fish. They are fast enough to elude the attack.

I have kept various cichlid pairs in a 55, convicts, jack Dempsey, salvini, it just depends on wether your wanting a community tank or species only. Most of the larger cichlids will not allow tank mates so when housing different species in one tank you need to give them as much room as possible.

And as for the open-ended statement I wanted a community of breeding pairs, but I suppose I'd need a larger aquarium for that. I just love cichlid interactions, and interspecies interactions are some of the most interesting and dynamic. Plus the colors are spectacular. And is there any way to fit acaras in a 55 at all? If not, what other colorful larger cichlids could work?

And as for the open-ended statement I wanted a community of breeding pairs, but I suppose I'd need a larger aquarium for that. I just love cichlid interactions, and interspecies interactions are some of the most interesting and dynamic. Plus the colors are spectacular. And is there any way to fit acaras in a 55 at all? If not, what other colorful larger cichlids could work?

A pair of acaras would be good in a 55. If you want a community of breeders I suggest a trio of angels, pair of rams and the acaras.

A55g is kinda small for any lsrge cichlid tank. You need st leadt a 75 in my opinion. You have to remember that s large cichlid is 6-12 inches all on its own. So at the most you really should have alot of fish in a 55. I have a 125 and i have 7 fish because og their adult size

Bolivians get larger than Germans. But anyway the final stock will then be as follows:
55 Gallon:
1 trio of angels (the pair and another female)
1 pair of blue acaras
1 pair of rams (most likely Bolivians)
6 serpae tetras
2 male and 4 female black phantoms
1 male and 2 female platies

40 Gallon:
1 pair jewel cichlids
1 pleco

Will this work? And also, is there a simpler way to get a pair of acaras/Bolivians?

Back
Top Bottom