55 gallon cichlid stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrogFrenzy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55 gallon tank and I want to put cichlids in it. The only cichlids I currently have are a firemouth and a convict. I have been advised that they will fight. But they're both new world cichlids? How do people keep tanks full of cichlids without them fighting? I am fairly new to cichlids so I apologize for any lack in knowledge. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

When you see a tank full of cichlids it is based on to overstock to reduce aggression, the cichlids wont have time to establish terratories so there is no reason to fight :), but that is mainly for the smaller types of cichlids ( mbunas and such)

Sent from my RM-875_eu_euro1_267 using Tapatalk

Mbuna are usually overstocked so the dominant male doesn't pick on the same guy every time. With your fish, I would advise adding the less aggressive fish first so it can establish a territory.

The only problem w/convicts is when they mate, and they do mate alot. So if you're in a situation where a male/female pairs up to have fry, they will kill the firemouth to protect their fry. If you have male convicts you maybe fine. Female convicts have an orange coloring on the side of its' bellies if this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom