55 gallon stocking help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ej_b1996

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I just got my hands on a 55 gallon tank and I wanted to make it a discus tank

I was planning on putting in at least 5 discus for sure

I wanted to ask you guys if the other fish I had in mind to put it would be fine

-10+ neon or cardinal tetras
-1 electric yellow or electric blue cichlid
-5 oto cats
-maybe 1 bala shark?

That's all I have in mind So far
What Do you guys think?

The discus, tetras(unless you know any better tetras to put it), and oto cats(unless you know any other cleaners for the tank) are for sure

Please help I really want to start stocking soon

The electric yellow and electric blue are Malawi Mbuna and should never, ever be kept with discus. In addition to the different care requirements of discus and Mbuna, the Mbuna are simply far too aggressive.

The bala shark should really be left off the list as well. They get quite large and are active and skittish. Even if your tank were large enough to keep balas, it would most likely stress discus to be kept together.

Ok so no mbuna and no shark

But how about the other fish? Or any suggestions?

Well either discus or community, can't have both. If your goin discus you can do 5 discus and 10 rumynose tetras
If not, I'd do
8 rumynose
10 cardinal tetras
6 kuhli loaches or Cory's
2 German blue rams
1 anglefish

Discus can do just fine in a peaceful community setup, as long as the other fish can tolerate the high temps. You won't have a ton of room in a 55 with 5 discus in there (I'm speaking with regard to their potential adult size, I have seen discus in person that were nearly the size of dinner plates). Cardinal tetra tend to do well with them, as do sterbai corydoras. German blue rams do as well.

I would suggest avoiding most of the stock you see at the lfs and order from a breeder instead. Jmho.

Keeping discus with other tank mates is doable, but they have to be the right tank mates. Ive always wanted a congo tetra, discus tank but that wouldnt work 'crys':(

I was in my lfs today looking at congos, these fish are truly stunning, No other tetra comes even close, no picture you see will do them justice, theyre BIG, beautiful and graceful.

Back
Top Bottom