55Gal predator tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I just tried krill with no success so I added a small chromi and a small clown goby and he is currently trying to catch them. :) we'll see what happens :)

Well it's official. I feel like a terrible cruel hearted human but it got my angler to eat so I don't care :) I had to grab the yellow clown goby by the tail fin and hold him in front of the angler then while he was squirming trying desperately to get away the angler put him out of his misery.

Well it's official. I feel like a terrible cruel hearted human but it got my angler to eat so I don't care :) I had to grab the yellow clown goby by the tail fin and hold him in front of the angler then while he was squirming trying desperately to get away the angler put him out of his misery.

ah man. are you planning to train him using tongs for live food and switching over to tong feeding with frozens?

Where is the fun in feeding frozen food for predator fish! Keep it natural, and just feed them live. I am sure you didn't but an angler just to be bored with that route. I love my predators, and I feel like it is only natural for them to be able to hunt, trap, and let their instincts take over. Just my opinion. ;-)

I agree with elude haha. He just wasn't able to catch anything and I wanted to make sure he got a meal his first week in the tank. I plan in letting him catch his next prey. I might even let the eel take care of the chromi still swimming round :)

If you plan to constantly feed live foods IMO getting a separate tank to gut load they prey fish would be ideal . My reasoning behind saying this is that if you get fish that just arrived to the Lfs they might not have eaten much during shipping and not be full of good nutrients to transfer to the angler.

I work at the only lfs I buy from so the fish I get are on a healthy balanced diet of brine mysis cyclipeeze and a mixed pellet food. I also know when and what comes in :) also cheap live food ;) oh the benefits

Yeah. I actually get paid partially in In-store credit so my food be free as long as I get a boring cheap fish :)

So I'm guessing the eel took the chromi. I'm just sad I wasn't home to see it. Oh well, there will be other chances.

So I think I've decided ill just stick to my angler and eel and probably put in a fu Manchu lionfish then stop with those 3. As far as compatability the only thing that's with caution is the eel with the angler so I'm hoping ill be okay. I may also add a blood red hawk after a while if those 3 still aren't putting too much stress on my bioload.

I figure to cut down on possible snacking a of tank mates ill keep everyone well fed and also have some live food in the tank.

What does everyone think of my plan?

So today just for sh**s and giggles. I put a silverside head in front of my angler sense my snowflake eel finished eating and that was the only piece left and he immediately swallowed it!

Idk if a small clown goby and a silverside head a couple days apart is over feeding but I really wasn't expecting him to eat it lol! Do you think I should be fine just go a few days without feeding? I don't want him to go on a hunger strike.

I wouldn't try to feed him again until next week. I noticed when I fed my angler this week that he did not move for 4 days. So I would venture to guess that If yours is still fairly active you didn't over feed. Still IMO waiting a week is best.

Okay. Mine was still moving around but after eating he's just kind of perched so I'm hoping he's at that perfect full belly.

Can you ever over skim too much? I'm thinking about trading skimmers with my 90 gal. And also adding a small dogface puffer any opinions?

Don't dogfaces require like 125g min.? I definitely say go as big as you can with the skimmer either way. It won't skim anything if there's nothing there so there's really no harm with going to big from my understanding.

They need 100gal when full grown but this guy is like 4 inch. And my lfs will take him back when he gets bigger.

Don't you think you'll get too attached to give him back? I know I start to get attached in like the 10 mins I spend at their tank in the LFS, but that's a call you have to make. I know I couldn't do it.

Back
Top Bottom