60 gal build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
40170-albums1950-picture37814.jpg

40170-albums1950-picture37813.jpg

40170-albums1950-picture37812.jpg

What do you think?

Don't worry, my friend agreed to take the silver dollars and few tetras

Looks Awesome!

I am in the middle of Setting up my 55 this weekend, Just waiting for the Silicone to dry on the rock forms and I will be transfering my Africans in.

Thank man :) i love watching the fish explore their new home

I have not read all of these posts so i apologize if i repeat anything but they need an enviorment where there are caves/tunnels. If you are really new to these fish they require a ph level between 7.8 and 8.2, Crushed coral is an ideal bedding for these animals. I have a sand made of crushed coral and sea shells which works just as well but sand is a little more annoying to clean. Good starting cichlids
Would be yellow labs, zebras, kenyi's and basically any other common breed. They are aggresive and territorial, its good to introduce them into an aquarium in numbers, not one at a time. Common plecos and bristle nose plecos are ideal to keep with them, certain plecos dont really do well with the water conditions they require to survive.

Really sorry if i pretty much repeated anything said.

If you arent too picky on decoration wise but there are 'cichlid stones' which are ceramic hollow stones specifically made for these fish, They arent cheap in my area tho...

help please, one of the female kenyi cichlids is hiding in the corner behind a fake plant. i did a 25% water change just in case. water readings are coming up okay, the tank is cycled, her coloring is still fine. She has been completely fine until today. My best guess is that she is getting harassed by the male a little bit. i have noticed him getting a bit more feisty lately, any ideas / tips?

This happened to me also. I had an electric blue Joanni that harassed a fish in my tank and the fish got so scared of him that he would go to the very top of the tank and hide in between the glass of the tank and the out flow of my HOB filter.

I had to regime my Joanni bc nothing work he was just too aggressive.

But a few things that you can do is add more hiding places or large plants or rock work to break the "line of sight"

Rearrange that tank every time you do a PWC so that no boundaries can be established so that the fish don't try and protect their area

If those don't work and you fish just becomes nasty and chances your other fish then it's best for the tank to rehome him

Cecil2010 said:
This happened to me also. I had an electric blue Joanni that harassed a fish in my tank and the fish got so scared of him that he would go to the very top of the tank and hide in between the glass of the tank and the out flow of my HOB filter.

I had to regime my Joanni bc nothing work he was just too aggressive.

But a few things that you can do is add more hiding places or large plants or rock work to break the "line of sight"

Rearrange that tank every time you do a PWC so that no boundaries can be established so that the fish don't try and protect their area

If those don't work and you fish just becomes nasty and chances your other fish then it's best for the tank to rehome him

This is good advice.

Thank you! He is definitely the dominant fish in the tank, he is picking on all the other fish in the tank

She is now hiding as you described between the filter output and back of the tank, also she is now swimming at about a 45 degree angle. Im no expert but i would assume that this is a bad sign

Last edited by a moderator:
New said:
please help someone! she is laying on her side not moving

There might not be anything to do at this point, Is she/he eating? Looks like female interesting color, its a kenyi right?
Ummm try to see of it
Eats could be a case pf
Bloat :-/

its a female, she used to be much darker and more pretty. now she is lying on her side and isnt moving. she isn't eating. her stomach is looking huge. when i dropped the food in she sort of swam up then sunk back down like a rock. could bloat lead to color fading?

Aww u lost her? Sorry to hear. Sounds like bloat the color fading can sometimes mean extreme stress... A silly trick someone taught me is using mashed peas to feed them. Aparently works as a natural laxative

Back
Top Bottom