60 gallon; 3 tier; waterfall tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm a electrical/software engineer by trade, and I got a job writing software for a company who builds neuromonitoring (electrical brain/nerve monitoring) equipment for the OR.

After that I guess I just worked my way up to the design tiers. Now I'm visiting surgeries quite often, and trying to imagine "if I was the surgeon, how would I want [this thing] to work?"

I used to work with surgens a lot, not always an easy task. But trying to figure out how they think, that would be a tough job all by it's self.
but the rest of it sounds like very interesting work.

I know ur rebuilding but when ur done did u think about putting in some bridges.... I've seen them where people combine 2 tanks so fish can get back and forth it would be cool to put them in so that fish can travel from upper to lower and back let me know what u think

xfactor6699 said:
I know ur rebuilding but when ur done did u think about putting in some bridges.... I've seen them where people combine 2 tanks so fish can get back and forth it would be cool to put them in so that fish can travel from upper to lower and back let me know what u think

The whole point is to have incompatible fish in the same tank. ;)

Ok sry wasn't sure what u were doing thought it was more of a center piece thing

Well I replaced the bottom with plexi; installed a proper bulkhead... Unlike the straight pipe I used before and thought I was good to go yesterday after a quick leak test.

So ten minutes after I get the whole thing set up filled and filtering, it starts leaking like a drainpipe. So I pour all the water out, scoop the sand in to it's bucket, and try to diagnose the problem.

I must say I'm confused. My sealant is sticking the the glass like a wet cat clings to anything, but the acrylic is a different story. It is flaking and pealing off with the lightest touch. What is happening? I'm using ge 100% silicone sealant.

Attachments

• image-289597086.jpg
    image-289597086.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 310
first i have to say this is an amazing setup! i was thinking of doing something similar if you don't mind? I was just wondering what thickness of glass you where using for the tanks?
This would be a good replacement for a couple of smaller tanks that i have. Less filters to clean :D

Really thin actually. Doesn't need much for 20gallons. 1/8" I think is what I have. Just be-careful when drilling.

Update: found the correct sealant. They make special stuff for acrylic. Who knew! Still haven't repaired the bottom tank, yet. This week I promise!

Marine-land LED light fixture came in and i installed it this morning. So I'll post pix soon. It looks absolutely amazing! Love the shimmer on the white sand. Looks almost saltwater.

I just found your thread and read them all, saw your beautiful waterfall setup! WOW . . . really nice! I'm so sorry it leaked. I'm glad everyone is okay though! And I'll be watching to see the new photos when it's up and running again. Very nice!
Hang in there! :fish2:

Thanks for the glass thickness just wondered if you had any problems with feeding flake food and it not staying in the top 2 tanks?

Sure, for the slow eaters just dip the pinch of food under the water. The flakes will slowly sink.

Just stumbled on this thread

I R WANTS THIS TANK!!!!!

Incredible. Trying to talk the old man into "helping" me build one (ie he does the building! I was always better at project management lol) but not really getting very far as we just bought a big tank :( Booo at him. Hope the repairs go well and you have it all back up and running properly soon. Can't wait to see more pics.

Awesome thread. Hope the repair is going well. Finding an aquarium safe sealant that works on both acrylic and glass may be tough, I thought it was impossible.

I'm curious, what did you find to use? Are you sure it works on glass as well as acrylic?

This build is exciting my imagination, opening up new possibilities I'd never dreamed of before. Thank you.

Thanks for this thread...It has inspired me. (y)

It wont be as god, but it will enhance my setup greatly... :D

This is one of the most awesome tanks I have ever seen. I hated to read that it started leaking. If you are using a silicone for glass it may not adhere to the acrylic due to the different properties of the materials. I was doing some research into the issue and found a little info that might be helpful on eHow.com.

"There are two different kinds of acrylic glue, one being a thin liquid glue and the other a thick glue. A popular brand for acrylic tank repair is WeldOn. You should be able to find this at a pet store and at some hardware stores.

Empty your tank of all fish, water and gravel so that is is completely empty. Move the tank outside so you can use a water hose to remove any sand, gravel or buildup that remains in your tank so it can be as clean as possible.

Use a towel to dry your tank thoroughly and allow it to air dry so all seams and areas can dry completely. Bring the tank back inside and prepare an area to work in.

Prepare the area you will be repairing. Use isopropyl alcohol to remove any oils from the hands. For acrylic that has a small crack, but is still tightly joined, use a liquid glue such as WeldOn 3. For larger cracks that exhibit
more separation, use a thicker glue like WeldOn 16."

It seems that whichever you choose is dependent on how large a gap you have to fill between the acrylic and the plumbing.

Read more: How to Repair an Acrylic Aquarium Leak | eHow.com How to Repair an Acrylic Aquarium Leak | eHow.com

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Update; So we tried acrylic twice. My wife diagnosed the issue to the acrylic is bending in the middle, providing way too much pressure for the seals.

Gave up on acrylic.

Local glass cutter is building 1/4" thick glass, precut, predrilled. Pickup on Monday. This waterfall tank will be done soon!

Update; So we tried acrylic twice. My wife diagnosed the issue to the acrylic is bending in the middle, providing way too much pressure for the seals.

Gave up on acrylic.

Local glass cutter is building 1/4" thick glass, precut, predrilled. Pickup on Monday. This waterfall tank will be done soon!

Hope so!! (y)

Back
Top Bottom