60 Gallon Cichlid Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't use deep earth tones as it would most likely clash with certain fish coloration.. what about neon pink?? That'd be banginnn son!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I wouldn't use deep earth tones as it would most likely clash with certain fish coloration.. what about neon pink?? That'd be banginnn son!

Take your ball and go back to the corner! ;)

I think earth tones would actually help quite allot. If you watch videos of allot of these CA/SA in the wild they are backed by allot of browns in the river, swamp, lake ect.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Couple examples:

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420743473.870537.jpg
A female exCichlasoma salvini (male behind) guarding her fry at the upper part of the Candelaria River [Mexico] (apr-2012)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420743660.186710.jpg
Adult Thorichthys meeki in normal coloration Rio Candelaria.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420744054.339708.jpg
Rocio octofasciata pair in dominant coloration prior to establishment of the breeding territory in Cenote Escondido, Quintana Roo [Mexico]

Fineeee, I'm taking my toys and going home..

Just wanted to say to the OP that I bought the same tank and stand combo, Im running 2 AQ 110, 2 250W heaters, and 2 Powerheads, I used the white petco sand i love the stuff.

Just wanted to say to the OP that I bought the same tank and stand combo, Im running 2 AQ 110, 2 250W heaters, and 2 Powerheads, I used the white petco sand i love the stuff.

Awesome! Do you have a picture? And isn't 2 250 watt heaters a little over kill? Or is my 1 200 watt not enough? The box said for up to 75 gallons.

The tank is stand is very nice! Im impressed with the quality!

Isn't 2 250 watt heaters a little over kill? Or is my 1 200 watt not enough? The box said for up to 75 gallons.

Way overkill, one 200 watt heater is over kill in a 60 gallon imo. I had a single 250 heating my old 125g hap tank.

If its the same white sand I used in a 10 be careful its super fine and looks great but if a fish zips past it, it floats right off the bottom and destroys filter impellers.

lol me and brookster are having this exact debate in another thread. I completely agree..2 250 watt heaters is way overkill in a 60 gallon tank. I have one eheim jager in my 72 bowfront and it has more than enough power

+1 on painting the back of the tank. My tank is painted black, it makes the fishes color pop better

on filtration yes, heating not a good idea

Can you explain why other than the more frequent off and on wearing out the thermostat. Also size needed is dependent on room temp verses tank temp. also I don't see a problem with 2 heaters so if one quits there is a back up.

yep size is needed depended on room temp. most people keep their heat anywhere from 68-72. If it's a little lower room temp get a slightly larger heater

and there isn't a problem with 2 heaters, theres a problem with 2 heaters that are 250 watts on a 60 gallon tank..that's enough wattage to heat a 250 gallon tank

yep size is needed depended on room temp. most people keep their heat anywhere from 68-72. If it's a little lower room temp get a slightly larger heater

and there isn't a problem with 2 heaters, theres a problem with 2 heaters that are 250 watts on a 60 gallon tank..that's enough wattage to heat a 250 gallon tank

I totally agree that this is more than over kill but can this cause a problem is what I'm asking.

If I were to run two heaters on a tank ( waste of money IMO) Id run maybe two 25 watt on a 60g.

Also one or two lower watt heaters mean less chance for the fish to get to warm. With Centrals I rather have slightly cool fish than super warm fish.

if one should stick on while the other 250 watt heater is working normally than absolutely. If you want to use 2 heaters they should be 2 smaller heaters, so if one sticks on it won't overheat your water. If one 250 sticks on in a 60 gallon your water can overheat regardless.

finnex sells a digital heater controller if you want some extra protection. It has a temp probe that goes down into the water. They are like $20 bucks on ebay

finnex heater controller | eBay

If I were to run two heaters on a tank ( waste of money IMO) Id run maybe two 25 watt on a 60g.

Also one or two lower watt heaters mean less chance for the fish to get to warm. With Centrals I rather have slightly cool fish than super warm fish.

if one should stick on while the other 250 watt heater is working normally than absolutely. If you want to use 2 heaters they should be 2 smaller heaters, so if one sticks on it won't overheat your water. If one 250 sticks on in a 60 gallon your water can overheat regardless.

finnex sells a digital heater controller if you want some extra protection. It has a temp probe that goes down into the water. They are like $20 bucks on ebay

finnex heater controller | eBay

yep it is a waste of money on the heater, and your electric bill.

That makes sense Thanks.

Ohh.. boy... i wanted to leave.. you guys are basing your opinions on what works for you.. my apt. Was 64° this morning.. my 20l is set to 81° with a 100watttttt heater in it. every time I look at the tank the light on the heater is on.. i really should replace it with a 150.. if your room temp is a constant 70° and your tanks are 76 than sweet. Minimalistic is fine.. you forget we live in a country where some go out in shorts and a tee shirt now and I had ice crystallize on my windows this morning..
Mog.. i have a static 25 on my 5.5 and it perfectly maintains 74° perfect for the cpds.. if I were to run a 60 gal.tank I'd run 2 200 watt heaters, they'd help each other out, a single 200 would run constantly to.maybe keep 76, ich happens.. needs 86... something to always consider.

Ohh.. boy... i wanted to leave.. you guys are basing your opinions on what works for you.. my apt. Was 64° this morning.. my 20l is set to 81° with a 100watttttt heater in it. every time I look at the tank the light on the heater is on.. i really should replace it with a 150.. if your room temp is a constant 70° and your tanks are 76 than sweet. Minimalistic is fine.. you forget we live in a country where some go out in shorts and a tee shirt now and I had ice crystallize on my windows this morning..
Mog.. i have a static 25 on my 5.5 and it perfectly maintains 74° perfect for the cpds.. if I were to run a 60 gal.tank I'd run 2 200 watt heaters, they'd help each other out, a single 200 would run constantly to.maybe keep 76, ich happens.. needs 86... something to always consider.

This is exactly why I keep Centrals! 76-78 is perfect for darn near all the cichlids and livebearers I keep. I can even go down to 70 with no ill effects.

I have a hard believing that such extremes is needed to heat these tanks. My apartment is 60-63 right now because I'm cheap and use all my electricity to heat my fish room. However I have a 10 gallon outside of the fish room, near a window with a 10 watt heater and I maintain 78 easily.

FWIW Mubuna are fine at 78-82 deg.

Back
Top Bottom