60 gallon mbuna setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cole_russell

Aquarium Advice Freak
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403498238.832641.jpg

This is the tank as it stands I have an unlimited supply of the rock you see in the tank. It's a brand new tank and I have never kept cichlids before the goldfish are there to start the nitrogen cycle and I plan to remove them. I have an aragonite based sand which was advertised as helping to buffer the ph for cichlids. My filter is a Marineland emperor 400. Any problems you may have run into in your endeavors with mbunas, comments and advice would be much appreciated! I plan on adding a significant amount more rock to the tank, I'd like it to be a little taller on the left and to have to sloping down to open swim room towards the right end of the tank.

I forgot to write this in the initial comment, I have not chosen which mbunas I will be stocking and I can't say for sure until I go to the pet store and see all their personalities. However, I think yellow labs for sure...

Definitely add to the rock work. I really like what you have going right now.

I second your decision on adding a powerhead.

As for stocking, it's really up to you! You could do a species only tank or mix and match. When you go to the pet store, just look and come back for a little more advice and suggestions!

I didn't want to go all in on the rock yet, because I really like fish like the green terror however that really limits the options I have with the tank. I will be headed to the store today after work and will be posting possibilities around 5:30 MT

Completely understandable. The green terror though is a South American cichlid and requires lower pH so the cichlid sand would be a no go.

You could still keep it with African cichlids though.

Well good thing they were fresh out of Green Terrors. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403621793.536572.jpgI bought 4 yellow labidos or so I think (they came out of an assorted tank) and had added more rock work that morning ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403621882.316938.jpg. The lady at the store said that mbunas are primarily vegetarians so what is the ideal food for them in your guys experiemce?

Guess I didn't spell check that last message. If anyone has any mbuna suggestions I'm probably going to call a place thats supposed to have the best selection in town tomorrow on their stocks. Still would like that dry/frozen food suggestion. Thanks guys!

Tank looks better every time I see it!

Good choice with the yellow labs.

I've fed Omega One sinking cichlid pellets and New Life Spectrum cichlid pellets, both with equal success. They are both dry foods.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks! I'm still considering adding more but considering it's only 13" deep I like that there's some open room for the fish to swim. I might be adding 2 more fish today, thinking red zebras if that's what I think I saw at one of the LFS. Would it be bad to only add one Damasoni they're kind of expensive at the one place in town that sells them? Another question I have is would the fish like actual veggies? I work at a grocery store and might be able to get the produce we can't keep on the shelves anymore. Thanks for the input!

I think you could add a rock pile on the right side with swimming room in the front and middle. Mbunas are rock dwellers.

I'd be careful of demasoni... they have a reputation of being tank terrors, with rumors of them killing off entire tanks. Unless you have a group of them, I would stay away.

Veggies should be fine. I blanch lettuce and cucumbers sometimes and give them to my fish to snack on.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Alright thanks great info! Beautiful fish though, too bad they're like $25.00 ea. for juveniles...

Adding Mbuna to your setup

Hey, looks pretty solid. You can add more rock. Mbuna don't much care for "room to swim" and instead like to float around and through your rock piles. Height variation is great, but you don't need to leave much open area on the end, and some "swim through/caves" are also appreciated. Your labs look good, and they're a great start with good color. Mbuna like to be in groups, and usually 1 M to 3-4 females (sometimes more if its an overly agressive species) and we try to avoid putting two species that look similar to each other (like 2 vertical blue barred species, and there a lot of those!) to avoid cross breeding and aggression. The problem is that you often get them as juveniles, and they're unsexable until they get older, so the usual is to buy a few more than you eventually want, and then remove the males as they mature until you have a single dominant Male with his harem.

I've had no real success with quality Mbuna at the big box pet stores, but there are a few members on cichlid-forum from the phx area, and from their comments I'm pretty sure you have one or two decent LFS options, at least.

To go with your yellow labs, I'd suggest a group of Rustys (Iodotropheus Sprengerae), or something from the cynotilapia group (white top haras, or cyno afras). They're a light blue with dark blue bars, usually. In that 60 gallon, you don't want more than three groups (about 18 mature fish, probably more initially). Stay away from "bumblebee (crabro, big and super mean)", most "melanochromis" varieties, and Kennyi. Those are also mostly too aggressive for a 4' tank or smaller. Demasoni are a popular choice, they're bright blue and black, stay fairly small, and are super active, BUT they're awfully hard on themselves as a species, so conventional wisdom is to keep them in a group twice as large as normal in order to spread their aggression out.

Lastly, I'd strongly recommend writing down the names of the recommendations your LFS gives you, then giving them a search via google or on cichlid forum.com to corroborate what the LFS tells you. THEN go back and buy them. OR order them online. The Wet Spot is in Portland Oregon, has a HUGE selection of fish (cichlids, but really ALL tropicals) and is very responsive to emails and also pretty cheap shipping, especially to western US. I don't know how the summer weather affects their shipping protocol, so you might ask them that. Google Wet Spot fish and you'll get them. They update their stock list every friday, and it's pretty extensive. Good luck!

I've been looking for a reliable place to order from because most times they're fish are expensive and their return policies are awful as well.

I don't think you'll find a really flexible return policy from most online places, but Wet Spot has both a local shop in Portland and is a fish wholesaler to lots of places in the Pac NW (and probably nationally, i dunno for sure), and I've not seen any complaints about the quality of their fish anywhere, and I was certainly happy with mine. My local fish stores are also pretty hip to taking in my fish from there since they buy from them as well and are aware of their quality, so that helps with the rehoming issues as they arise. YMMV.

Pseudotropheus is sort of the "catch all holding bin" for species while they sort out a better classification (which apparently can take years), so there is not a single characteristic descriptor for how they are in the aquarium, and there is lots of variation. Some are pretty mellow, some are much less so. I've found the best luck in identifying what is available to me (local or online) then researching those specific fish online and deciding from there, since there are a TON of species listed on research sites online that you'll never see for sale.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403738600.814268.jpg
One of the new fish I just purchased not really sure what it is because it came out of an assorted tank, the other two look just like it but don't have yellow in their fins.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403738749.965293.jpg

Looks like you have already started stocking, but I just got some 20 demasoni and 10 yellow lab fry on eBay from seller rmbro, comes to about $120 with shipping but not bad for 30 fish. He was super helpful and very accommodating for delivery around my vacation and hour weather.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah, been just going to LFS looking for anything that looks good. Asking lots of questions about computability etc.

Back
Top Bottom