A different way to cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arshis

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 75 gallon tank (only atm) I dont want to put my fish though the cycle I'm worried they may die they are all very young 1-4inches long. So I change the water constanly to keep the ammonia down. Is there a way I can just say use a 10 gallon tank and cycle it with shrimp then add the water contents to my larger tank?

What do you mean by tank only? No powerheads etc? You should return the fish to the LFS and cycle the tank correctly? How is cycling a 10 gal tank going to help your fish? Your fish will still be going through the cycle in your main while the 10 gallon cycles so you will gain nothing. Also when you cycle very little bacteria is in the water column. It resides in the rock, sand etc. I would return the fish and do this with your main. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15

I have a Cascade 1000, GPH 265

I guess what I dont want to happen is for my 75 gallon tank to end up smelling like a giant swamp or getting murky. I'm still haveing issues under standing what happen when your tank cycles, physicaly. Was wondering if there was a way I could just ass the helpful bacteria without haveing to put the larger tank though cycle, or am I being completely over dramatic and it does not matter?

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
I do not have aclear picture ofwhat is going here. Can you please describe your tank's history? When did you start it, what is in it, current water parameters, fitlration, if you even attempted a cycle...etc...If you have fish in there currently and have not properly cycled the tank you need to take the fish back to the LFS and begin your cycle. There are several fishless methods of cycling. Using "cycled" water is going to do you no good. As Brian mentioned, the beneficial bacteria needed in a tank colonize on filter media, not in the water colume itself.

I'm still haveing issues under standing what happen when your tank cycles, physicaly.
Cycle builds up the needed bacteria to break down NH3, NO2, NO3. There is no cure all to dump in your tank to do the cycle for you. The fish you have in your tank will more than likely die because the NH3 and NO2 that is needed to complete the cycle is highly toxic to them. Best/cheapest thing you can do is return the fish and do a cycle as described here. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15

I guess my situation is I have a dozen small fish in a 75 gallon tank and i need to cycle tank cause I didnt know about cycleing a tank untill recently (yes i'm a noobie)

So what I need to do is buy another tank and temperoraly place my fish in the tank while my 75 gallon tank turns into a sewage plant, and eventualy creats "good bacteria".

Question should I keep my filter running while my tank goes though cycle process and if so do I have to clean my change my filters after the cycle is complete?

I guess in the end i was really looking for a way to bypass the cycle by just adding the "good bacteria"

Thanks for help thus far

That info helps. My suggestion is to still bring the fish back to the LFS and let your tank cycle natually. Putting "a dozen small fish" in a 10gal tank while you wait for your 75 to cycle is sitll bad news. You will be hard pressed to keep water paramerters at a less then toxic level.

A dozen? Damsels?
If you can not take the fish back to the store then you will be gaining nothing by moving them to another tank. If you put the fish in a smaller tank you will actually make things worst for them. If taking the fish back is not a option....Leave fish in main and all filters etc running. Make and keep SW available for changes. Monitor your water every day morning and evening for NH3 and NO2. NH3 alert badges should be available at the LFS these will help. Do WC as needed according to water parameters. Do you have any LR? A purchase of cured LR from a LFS would help your situations out. Also a cup or two of sand from there tank would kick start your bacteria.

I did my Cycle with fish. There all still alive and fine. I also had Lr. My fish were 1 Hermit Crab and 3 Green chromis. The main problem I ran into now I have all kind of algae on the glass and the sand. Some Brown Algea some green hair some of it just green.

Well I guess I'll list what type of fish I have in my 75 Gallon Tank.

1 Albino Oscar 3.5 in
1 Green terror 3.5 in
1 Red Devil 3.5in
2 Jacks 2 in
3 Cory 1 in
1 Placo 2in
1 Chinese Alge eater 4in
1 Pink Cichlid 1.5 in
2 (mystery african cichlids) 1 in long

When they get bigger planning planning on getting a 2nd large tank but will cycle this b4 i toss them in this time :cry:

I'm un able to return any of the fish execpt the 2 mystery african cichlids

How long will 75 gallon tank take to cycle?

Ammonia level is currently at 1.0ppm
While my ph just spiked to 7.5

Should I adjust the PH level? Will it affect the cycleing of the tank?

Oh god I'm sucha noobie i just realized I posted on the salt water reef rather than the freshwater ......... ~.~

Oh you have a Fresh Water (FW) tank. Not a Salt Water (SW). Just to answer the question before (LR) Live Rock (LFS) Locally Fish Store (WC) Water Change (SW) Salt Water. I am sorry when I answered you I thought you were doing a SW tank.

Its not your fault no reason to be sorry I'm the one who posted on salt water fourm hehe :oops:

But again thanks to all that helped me, I may just try and cycle my fish with them in the 75 gallon tank if they start looking sick i'll remove them to seperate small glass tanks with bubblers or something.

Again thanks all for help

You can cycle with fish in the tank. You have to keep ammonia under 1 so you are going to be changing a lot of water. Take the Africans back they will not mix well with your South Americans. Since your ammonia is 1 i would do a 50% change right now.

Dont worry about the wrong forum, I am sure one of our fine advisors will move this thread for you.

Rich

Back
Top Bottom