A little confused?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishiefish51

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a Bio Wheel and since the day I purchased one I havent liked it. My params were never that great and I always wondered why. I finally realized that my actuall wheel was garbage. It does nothing. I removed it and within less than 24 hours my params were perfect. why is this? anyone else find the same problem?

Did you just remove the wheel, or did you remove and replace the entire filter apparatus? When you say params, what exactly changed/improved?

Personally, I would prefer a good canister or HOB to a bio wheel.

fishiefish51 said:
I have a Bio Wheel and since the day I purchased one I havent liked it. My params were never that great and I always wondered why. I finally realized that my actuall wheel was garbage. It does nothing. I removed it and within less than 24 hours my params were perfect. why is this? anyone else find the same problem?
You still need bio filtration. That's what the bio wheel did. See if you can fit some sea chem matrix or bio max in there...

fort384 said:
Did you just remove the wheel, or did you remove and replace the entire filter apparatus? When you say params, what exactly changed/improved?

Personally, I would prefer a good canister or HOB to a bio wheel.

I just removed the wheel. My nitrates stayed the same as well as my hardness, chlorine, and alkalinity it was my nitrites that dropped and improved a ton. My water also became clear and less cloudy

maxwellag said:
You still need bio filtration. That's what the bio wheel did. See if you can fit some sea chem matrix or bio max in there...

I plan on buying a Aqua Clear and using the matrix bio max

fishiefish51 said:
I just removed the wheel. My nitrates stayed the same as well as my hardness, chlorine, and alkalinity it was my nitrites that dropped and improved a ton. My water also became clear and less cloudy

The reason may be that the bio wheel was either growing a lot of gunk on it, and spitting it into the water. My filter has some growing on its water outflow. The extra gunk might be caused by extra nitrates in the water. How many nitrates are in your water right now?

fishiefish51 said:
I plan on buying a Aqua Clear and using the matrix bio max

Ok, good. But swapping the media like that is going to create a mini cycle.

maxwellag said:
Ok, good. But swapping the media like that is going to create a mini cycle.

My nitrates are at 30ppm and I am going to run my current filter and the Aquaclear together for a couple weeks before I use the Aquaclear as my main filter

fort384 said:
Sounds like a good way to go. You will be very happy with that choice.

Hopefully! ive been told by many people to buy the Aquaclear

fishiefish51 said:
My nitrates are at 30ppm and I am going to run my current filter and the Aquaclear together for a couple weeks before I use the Aquaclear as my main filter

I think that many nitrates is a little too high. I would do a water change. The high nitrates could also be a cause for your cloudiness. They could've been hanging out on the bio wheel.

maxwellag said:
I think that many nitrates is a little too high. I would do a water change. The high nitrates could also be a cause for your cloudiness. They could've been hanging out on the bio wheel.

Agreed. I read about the bio wheel and it said its suppose to hold nitrates and good bacteria on it and its the best but i totally disagree cause it sucks. I really hate the filter pads too

maxwellag said:
I have an aquaclear 30. Aqua clears are the best hang on back filters imo.

Totally agree my friend. I cant wait to get one. I have a 10 gallon what size aquaclear should I get?

The aquaclear is not going to reduce your nitrate levels... only PWCs or live plants will accomplish that. 30 is not too awfully high though, but it is getting there. I like to keep them under 20.

fishiefish51 said:
Totally agree my friend. I cant wait to get one. I have a 10 gallon what size aquaclear should I get?

I have the thirty on my ten gallon and I think its perfect. There isn't too much flow unless you have a betta.

fort384 said:
The aquaclear is not going to reduce your nitrate levels... only PWCs or live plants will accomplish that. 30 is not too awfully high though, but it is getting there. I like to keep them under 20.

Another way to reduce nitrates is to get a nitrate filter... which is really expensive. But it makes it easier so you don't have to do as many water changes.

maxwellag said:
I have the thirty on my ten gallon and I think its perfect. There isn't too much flow unless you have a betta.

Sounds good Ill get that size as well. What media do you use?

fort384 said:

Im about to do a PWC now to get them lowered. I do agree 20 is best

Back
Top Bottom