A little confused?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Coleallensmom said:
I think we had a big discussion about this a month ago! ;) Go get the AC or just switch over your filter media. Stop wasting your $ on filter cartridges!

Yes I know we did and me being a fool I never switched :p but I finally had enough this time and really plan on getting the Aquaclear soon! Thinking possibly tomorow

Coleallensmom said:
(You know I am just teasing you, right?;):))

I honestly don't think you will be sorry!

Haha Yes I know I know :p ;) :) I dont think I will either, I cant wait to get one. What do you recommend I do with the filter media?

Has your current cartridge been in use for a while? I think your plan to run your current filter and the Aquaclear together for a couple weeks is a good one.

Yes it has and for the aquaclear what media should I use? Should I double up on the bio media and leave out the carbon?

fishiefish51 said:
Yes it has and for the aquaclear what media should I use? Should I double up on the bio media and leave out the carbon?

That's what I would do, or, you might be able to pack in this: (in the order from bottom to top) sponge, filterfloss, bio media, bio media
That way it would technically be a four stance filter... lol

Coleallensmom said:
Has your current cartridge been in use for a while? I think your plan to run your current filter and the Aquaclear together for a couple weeks is a good one.

Ya I agree, it would be a lot better if he ran both for a while. He could even open the filter pads and take out the ceramic again, and put them in the aquaclear... that way he might not have to run both filters.

That's the fun thing about an AC...you can run whatever you like. I have four AC's running right now and they all have sponge>biomedia>sponge with exceptin of my AC70 which also has some Purigen shoved in there.

I took the pictures this morning but didn't have time to post the,. Hopefully I can post them right now during lunch.

Ok, got the pics on here. But I can't post them right now because every time I attach one of the pics the app crashes. :( I will try later. It posted the same pic 3 times. That is how the normal media it comes with goes. I gtg.... back to my classes at school.

Coleallensmom said:
That's the fun thing about an AC...you can run whatever you like. I have four AC's running right now and they all have sponge>biomedia>sponge with exceptin of my AC70 which also has some Purigen shoved in there.

Nice!! Should I go with double sponge or double bio?

maxwellag said:
Ok, got the pics on here. But I can't post them right now because every time I attach one of the pics the app crashes. :( I will try later. It posted the same pic 3 times. That is how the normal media it comes with goes. I gtg.... back to my classes at school.

Looks great!! That sponge picks up a ton of debri...thats just what I need

this is an interesting topic:
I have 2 tanks with bio wheel filtration and have no problems with either one. I dont throw away my filters as I need the bacteria on them. I am considering putting a second one in there so when one is ragged I still have a seeded one.
I always thought the AC HOB was a "cheap" filter. I agree- looking at the shape of the AC that more surface is more filtration. Do you squeeze the sponge when you clean it? How does this work?:confused:

fishiefish51 said:
Looks great!! That sponge picks up a ton of debri...thats just what I need

Ya it does. It turned pink cuz it collected all the uneaten flake food. Lol.

I am trying to post the other pictures of combinations of filter medium that I could fit... yay it worked! The first pic is double bio media. The second is double mechanical media AND double bio media! It fits! Yay! (clarification: the double mechanical media is: one sponge and two pieces of filter floss)

Clynnking said:
this is an interesting topic:
I have 2 tanks with bio wheel filtration and have no problems with either one. I dont throw away my filters as I need the bacteria on them. I am considering putting a second one in there so when one is ragged I still have a seeded one.
I always thought the AC HOB was a "cheap" filter. I agree- looking at the shape of the AC that more surface is more filtration. Do you squeeze the sponge when you clean it? How does this work?:confused:

.ya I squeeze the sponge to clean it.... the sponge catches larger debris in the tank.

maxwellag said:
Here is double sponges in the ac 30.

All the pics look great. I finally picked up my Aquaclear today!!!! Im about to install it now!!!!! :D

fishiefish51 said:
All the pics look great. I finally picked up my Aquaclear today!!!! Im about to install it now!!!!! :D

Good luck. If you need any help or hints just ask In this thread. :)

Back
Top Bottom