A little confused?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
fishiefish51 said:
Sounds good Ill get that size as well. What media do you use?

Right now I just use the kind that is meant for it. It keeps my water crystal clear. But most people around here would suggest not using the carbon, and having either double mechanical or double bio filtration. I am gonna get some sea chem matrix bio media because I heard its the best...

Yea I heard that too. Im glad it keeps your water crystal clear cause my bio wheel never did! I never got why people dont use carbon? Do you know why? I think I might double up on the bio

fishiefish51 said:
Yea I heard that too. Im glad it keeps your water crystal clear cause my bio wheel never did! I never got why people dont use carbon? Do you know why? I think I might double up on the bio

Carbon absorbs chemicals, coloration, odors, and small dirt particles in the water. But after a few weeks it goes bad, and starts to just let the stuff go... so its pretty useful for a short period, especial for getting rid of treatments and medicines in quarantine tanks.

Yea and the number one reason why I hate the bio wheel is I have to keep buying the filter cartridges and it gets very expensive

fishiefish51 said:
Yea and the number one reason why I hate the bio wheel is I have to keep buying the filter cartridges and it gets very expensive

Why do you have to keep buying them, and how often?

maxwellag said:
Why do you have to keep buying them, and how often?

Even when I rinsed then off in tank water they stay so saturated with gunk that when I put the pad back into the filter it over flows and the water comes out of the filter box. And I have to replace them like every 3 weeks it sucks

fishiefish51 said:
Even when I rinsed then off in tank water they stay so saturated with gunk that when I put the pad back into the filter it over flows and the water comes out of the filter box. And I have to replace them like every 3 weeks it sucks

Wow... it might mean that there is too much waste in your tank. How often do you gravel vacuum?

maxwellag said:
Wow... it might mean that there is too much waste in your tank. How often do you gravel vacuum?

Every week and my tank looks spotless. The gunk would never come off the filter pad

fishiefish51 said:
Every week and my tank looks spotless. The gunk would never come off the filter pad

Oh. Why not just put different bio media in the same filter?

maxwellag said:
Oh. Why not just put different bio media in the same filter?

You mean insted of a filter pad put in a sponge, and 2 matrix bio max?

fishiefish51 said:
You mean insted of a filter pad put in a sponge, and 2 matrix bio max?

Yes. Exactly what I meant. That way you might be able to stretch the limits of stocking levels because you will have so much beneficial bacteria surface area.

maxwellag said:
Yes. Exactly what I meant. That way you might be able to stretch the limits of stocking levels because you will have so much beneficial bacteria surface area.

Thats not a bad idea should I do that or just pick up the Aquaclear cause it dosent matter

fishiefish51 said:
Thats not a bad idea should I do that or just pick up the Aquaclear cause it dosent matter

If you want to save money, get the other bio media. If you want a better filter in the long run, get the aqua clear. It has a lot of space for different media. So you can put a lot in it, like a canister filter.

maxwellag said:
If you want to save money, get the other bio media. If you want a better filter in the long run, get the aqua clear. It has a lot of space for different media. So you can put a lot in it, like a canister filter.

I rather pay the money to get the best filter up front insted of just buying the media alone for the bio wheel

Is there really that much more room to put more filter media on top of the sponge and 2 bio medias

fishiefish51 said:
Is there really that much more room to put more filter media on top of the sponge and 2 bio medias

Yes there is. I can take some pictures of it, but not until Wednesday.

maxwellag said:
Yes there is. I can take some pictures of it, but not until Wednesday.

Sounds awsome. I would love to see it. Message me or reply to this post when you put them up!

fishiefish51 said:
Sounds awsome. I would love to see it. Message me or reply to this post when you put them up!

Ok. I might be able to put them on here tomorrow morning, if I can wake up early enough before I go to school. Lol. I have to go to bed, so I wont be back on here until (maybe in the morning, but I don't know for sure) about 3:45 tomorrow.

I think we had a big discussion about this a month ago! ;) Go get the AC or just switch over your filter media. Stop wasting your $ on filter cartridges!

Ok sounds great my friend! Have a great day at school Ill be on so when you upload them Ill take a look and reply. Thank you so much for your help :)

Back
Top Bottom