Acclimation: Drip or Float?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

logansmomma1228

Aquarium Advice Addict
I would like to try to drip acclimate some of my new fish when I get them. I forget exactly which it was but there is one of the fish I am planning that prefers an exceptionally different pH than the others. I know that drip acclimation is suggested to get them used to the pH but I have always done the floating bag and I haven't had any issues. JSYK I have had more fish than just this one so I have acclimated quite a few times..

I just got done reading this http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ethod-suggested-for-fish-transfer-109899.html and now I am curious as to what everyone's preffered methods are, and the pros and cons of each.

I float the bag, and add 1 cup of water to the bag every 10-15 minutes, for about an hour, and have never had a problem. :)

it really depends. if its a fish in a bag a short time(example getting a fish local) drip method or adding a cup of water every 15-20 mins or so tends to be best.

when you are dealing with fish that have been in the bag for some time (example fish though the mail) the co2 in the bag goes up lowering the ph in the water. at lower ph ammonia isnt as harmful. in this case often best to float and dump. get the temps the same open and dump the bag in. this also depends on the fish too. some fish dont do well with the float and dump.

its also a good idea to use containers for this and just net the fish out and leave all the old water out of the tank.

so just like everything in this hobby it just depends.

So if I was drip acclimating would it have to drip so slow? I got a little system set up but the valve I have doesn't have anything where I can adjust how much it drips; it drips about once a second ... maybe I could use something to pinch the tubing? My vote is going for floating so far because dripping is so much more complicated... but I would use it with sensitive fish

That is a really good idea, with the two catch containers. Also answered my question about how to drip w/o a control valve. Is it just me or is that tang on its side at the end?

those are just super cheap air valve. you can also kind of tie a knot with the air tube to also cut the flow down.

I just did the drip acclimation for the first time today. I actually find it easier than floating it. With floating you gotta remember every 15 mins to come put some more water in, and my bag never floats right. With drip, you just put them in a bucket, then tie a loose knot in the airline, then start the siphon. Make the knot tighter to reduce the flow, then come back in an hour or two and you should be done. (If it's a really sensitive fish you might want to dump some water out, then wait another hour or two, it depends on tank size too).

I tied the knot so it dripped about 3-4 times a second (it was only for guppies and danios, pretty hardy fish).

In all honesty, after doing it this way this time, I think I'm always going to do it like this. It was so much easier for me, cause I never remember to come back and put more water in the bag. lol

Also, I think drip is generally better for sensitive fish (or any fish for that matter), as it takes place slowly over an hour or two, while floating is a bit quicker. The longer the acclimation the better.

Back
Top Bottom