Advice about Algae eating fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robcurry12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! First off, I'm new to this forum but have had an aquarium for about 10+ years and often read your discussions for insight. I recently refreshed a 36 gallon bow front. It had previously been barren in terms of fish except for one common Pleco and had thriving plants (not sure of names). I decided this year to refresh the whole tank and do research to learn the proper way to start a tank. Fast forward about 3 weeks and endless hours of research and now I just added my first first fish to my newly cleaned, decorated, planted and cycled aquarium. 3 zebra danios looking very active and lively in their new digs about 6 hours in. I've already begun planning my next fish stocking.

Now here comes my question.

Ever since I've ever had an aquarium I've always had an "algae eating" fish whether it was a Chinese Algae Eater or a common Pleco. However, after doing research this time around, I get the impression that most algae eaters/plecos don't exactly do much algae eating and generally make more mess than they clean. So before I drop money on another Pleco (of the BN variety this time) I am wondering if they are even worth it and if I don't have one these fish, will algae become a problem? And are there alternatives to these algae eating fish? I read someone where that some types of snails are great for eating algae. Any input of any type is appreciated :)

A properly planted and maintained aquarium should not have an algae problem.

Get a BN if you want one, not for Algae. You'll need to feed it. They poop a LOT.

Alternatives : 6 Otocinclus. Little and very cute and clean.

Nerite Snails. Won't breed. May lay eggs. Mine don't.

Regular snails. May multiply rapidly.

Malaysian Trumpet Snails, good for aerating sand and eating leftovers. Will breed, but tend to hide during the day.

I keep my lights on timers. 6-8 hours a day. Plants thrive, very little Algae.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ditto on otocinclus. They're a bit sensitive when you first get them though. Best to wait a couple of months to let the refreshed tank settle in before adding them.

95e651ef7d9446814886c29abf6cc41e.jpg

Otos don't even harm Shrimp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom