Advice on fish, another tank after many years

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wild West

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was a fish NUT :dance: for a couple decades and have the fun-bug again.

I know (knew) fresh, cichlids and salt. I have mobility issues now, I can't get around like I used to so I am looking for something easy to maintain (which rules out a salt show tank) so I am looking to go fresh or African.

I have a small child, want to get fun, colorful, showy fish to watch. My first thoughts were Africans, or angels and rainbows. Now I am hesitant as in the past they always pair off and get territorial.

I have very good water here for freshies, and it will be easy to supplement for Africans.

Any suggestions on what to get? :fish2: (they will all be mail order)

I just got a used 55 gal with a canister filter (PP Cascade 1000). Yikes, only used canisters as a supplement in the past. :hide: I have been window shopping the internet and the new tanks blow my mind. I was not thrilled with bio-wheels years ago....so many of them use them or hang on the back cartrige filters. Where does the beneficial bacteria live after you clean or change the cartridges?

Thanks for any and all tidbits to help get going again :thanks:

I second dwarf gouramis, you have to be careful because they can get territorial. Most likely not. I also love Molly's as they have so many colors and variations these days.

I suppose it depends what sort of tank you're looking for and colours.

Guppies, Cardinals, CPDs, Blue Rams. I always enjoyed the Kribensis' colours, although again, can be a bit aggressive.

Dwarf Gourami's are a decent choice, I've only ever had bad experiences with them, but every fish is different.

I find Moonlight Gourami's spectacular, but they're less colourful as 'shiny'.

I would consider some the apistogramma or members of the krib family besides the common kribs - kribensis wouri is a nice example. Both groups are members of the cichlid family, both are very colorful and while somewhat aggressive and territorial, neither is as bad as Africans. Another option would be members of the killifish family - some super colorful option there with lots of activity.

Back
Top Bottom