Advice on startup.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crichton013

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
(ex-post from member introductions)

Hi I'm nosloc and I'm new to this forum. I've been an aquarium enthusiast for years now but I'm really starting to get obsessed now so I figured I'd join a forum. I currently have 4 active tanks, one is planted. Two 55g, a 35g, and a 5g. If anyone happens to be interested in them I can post pictures.

I recently purchased a new 150g (2'x2'x5') that I'm trying to plan out now. I haven't owned an aquarium this large yet so I had a few questions.

I'd like to stock it with
2 Oscar chichilids (one albino)
1 Gar (not sure which kind to get)
6+ Clown loaches
1 Common Pleco (14" I already have him)

These are all fish I'm new to so I'd love to hear some tips from someone who has had personal experience with these fish. Is this too many or too few?

I'm planning on using white sand and river rocks for the basis of the tank, perhaps some floating plants if that won't cause problems, but nothing planted as I know Oscars will uproot them. I don't currently have a filter that's large enough for this tank, though I do plan on using a cannister filter. Any suggestions?

Also can anyone recommend a good place to find a solid test kit for all the basics? I have one but it doesn't test for ammonia, pH, or nitrite...

Thanks everyone!

Fluval Fx6 will be good considering how much you'll have to feed this tank.

No need to test for ammonia, pH, or nitrite really. Just don't put fish in until you have nitrates above 0.

Get the oscars young and last. Clown loaches like lots of water flow.

Don't bother changing pH just keep it stable. It's a big tank. What's more stable than just straight tap and prime?

Thank you very much. Why get the Oscars last? If I get a gar wouldn't I want the gar to be in there latest?

Also, why the fx6? The site says that it can filter up to a 400g tank. Seems a bit overkill.

On a tank that size I would highly recommend running at least 2 filters to help achieve even flow in the tank. While the FX6 is a nice filter, it's absurdly overpriced. If it were me, I would run 2 of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1N546MXQCPN6CYH244FR

They are good reliable filters that are very quiet. My computer sits within 2 feet of mine and I can't even hear the filter running.

As for the stock, I would suggest against getting the gar. They are huge and adding one in with the other fish would seriously overstock the tank. Even without the gar it's pretty overstocked, but with the loachs slow growth rate it shouldn't be a big problem.

However, considering the very slow growth rates of the clown loaches and comparing that with the obscenely fast growth rates of the Oscars you will want to start with decent size clown loaches, probably 6" long or so or else the oscars will likely kill them.

Alright thank you very much. Is there anything similar to a gar that I might add to my tank in it's place?

Alright thank you very much. Is there anything similar to a gar that I might add to my tank in it's place?

Not to my knowledge. Anything that's going to be big enough to hang with oscars is going to push your already very high stocking level overboard. As it is, you're very likely going to be looking at 2x 50% water changes weekly to manage the nitrates as it is.

The Oscars last because they will be aggressive. Let the clowns get established and have territory first.

One big canister or two medium. The FX6 is the most expensive but it will support the filtration needs of an oscar tank being properly fed.

The Oscars last because they will be aggressive. Let the clowns get established and have territory first.

One big canister or two medium. The FX6 is the most expensive but it will support the filtration needs of an oscar tank being properly fed.

The filter I linked is the same size as a 5 gallon bucket with almost every sq. inch of that space used for holding media. If that can't support an Oscar tank I would be terrified to learn what it takes.

The filter I linked is the same size as a 5 gallon bucket with almost every sq. inch of that space used for holding media. If that can't support an Oscar tank I would be terrified to learn what it takes.

Considering I use two of those exact same sunsuns for my 60g tank I'd encourage more for this tank.

Considering I use two of those exact same sunsuns for my 60g tank I'd encourage more for this tank.

*shrug* With just one of these filters being more than sufficient to filter a 75g tank I am confident in my suggestion of 2 for this tank.

*shrug* With just one of these filters being more than sufficient to filter a 75g tank I am confident in my suggestion of 2 for this tank.

I agree I think it would be as well. I think two of these particular sun suns would be even better than the two medium options I also said "one big canister or two medium"

I didn't mean to say they wouldn't work :) sorry

Back
Top Bottom