Advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No more cichlids and tomorrow is my weekly water changing day so tomorrow I was going to put the birchir in the twenty with cichlids and the ram with the angel should I move the plecto to the twenty too.

The pleco, assuming it is a common pleco, needs 125 gallons. They can reach 2 feet and are very messy. Herp-momma said no to the bichir with the cichlids. I do know that some people keep tbichirs with 1 or 2 large cichlids, but I don't know how advisable it is.. I need to ask some people a few questions about the other species. But IMO, it looks like you will need at least 2, maybe 3 tanks for these species.

Haha sorry but i am lost, and am sure that everyone else is too. Could you make the suggested list about what tanks you have, whats in them, and how big their new tanks will be? That would help a bunch! Thanks

Chasnkevin4ever said:
Twenty gal
Electric blue hap
Electric yellow cichlid
Ram cichlid
Jewel cichlid

Ten gal
Angelfish
Birchir
Plecto

Ok thankyou haha. Soo ya your going to need some pretty big tanks so far

How big? Can my three cichlids go in one big tank? Any info on Dino birchir, tank size, Can he go with cichlids or with angel and ram? Can the plecto go in with cichlids?

Yeah I really enjoy watching him he ia cool. Okay twenty gal has one electric blue hap, one electric yellow cichlid, one ram cichlid, and a jewel cichid. They r pretty small still no color except the yellow one lol. Umm the ten gallon has a blue veil angelfish, Dino birchir he is about three inches, and plecto. Everyone is going bigger. The angel and ram are going into the twenty when I get bigger for the cichlids probably two wks at longest. Need to know anything else just ask. Thanks
Ok, so some people do mix labs and haps, but it has mixed results. Maybe somebody else will have different advice, but imo, you should get a 40 gallon tall tank for the lab. You can keep a ratio of 1 male for every 3 females. If you want a bigger tank, like a 55 or bigger, you can try to keep the lab with the hap, but you will likely have to get more of each.
The pleco needs 125gallons. He can share a tank with the cichlids however.
The bichir needs 75 gallons. He will be too aggressive for the angel.

Okay so the birchir needs own tank no way to put him with cichlids? What about the jewel can he go in a 125 gal with lab and hap?

Okay so the birchir needs own tank no way to put him with cichlids? What about the jewel can he go in a 125 gal with lab and hap?
My reseach so far does not suggest that to be a good idea. But, I am still hunting. :)
Again, maybe somebody else will chime in, but so far I would suggest a 75g for the bichir, and a 125 for the hap, lab, and pleco. You should be able to stock more labs and haps in there too if you want. Some cichlids (labs for example) seem to do better when they do not have a big territory to defend. Definding a territory makes them aggressive. But, that is a big tank, so I am pretty sure you would be fine aggression wise. It might look empty though. 125 gallons is enough to stock another cichlid species as well.
I will look more to see who the jewel would be better off with. :)

OK, so I am going to ammend what I said earlier slightly. I still suggest the 125g for the pleco, hap, and lab. I still think you should add a few labs to get the 1m to 2 female ratio. The haps are big and active, so I think it would be best to stick with just the one. If anything, maybe more labs or else a different mbuna species.
Also, the jewel would not do well with the labs and haps, but I have found that people have kept them with bichirs.
So, you could keep the jewel in with the bichir in the 75. You could probaly get a couple more jewels in fact, just make sure to stock to the proper gender ratios when dealing with cichlids.

Ok so my blue gets how big? And why get more labs and no Haps? Do u know how to tell difference between male and female labs? I think mine is a male he lets me look at him up close, he has the egg markings on bottom, top towards back, and his butt fin. Very hard to see but he is a very social fish I have noticed.

Ok so my blue gets how big? And why get more labs and no Haps? Do u know how to tell difference between male and female labs? I think mine is a male he lets me look at him up close, he has the egg markings on bottom, top towards back, and his butt fin. Very hard to see but he is a very social fish I have noticed.
From what I know, one lab alone is not very happy. They thrive in groups. Haps are bigger and boisterous. Their activity level is the number one reason I suggest not getting more of them. Also, they do better having more like 4 females with them. They do only reach 6-8 inches, so the activity level is the driving factor in the tank size. If he gets nasty in the new tank, take him out and get him some girls, then re-introduce him. It sounds like you lab is a boy, but I know it is supposed to hard soemtimes to tell the juveniles apart. Honestly, you do have the space for another African mbuna in there too if you want. But, if I were you, I owuld try thi first and see how it goes. It sounds like you are pretty happy with all your current fish and are not trying to add more.

Yes I am very happy with all my fish now they just need to be happy! So I was just reading on my bichir and it said that it can be in a tank with aggressive fish as long as he can't eat them lol can't catch em to eat. So I was thinking that maybe my blue hap, pearl, and the bichir could go in a 125 gal and I could put my one male and two females (eventually) :) in a 75 gal with plecto. The plecto can't be with bichir he sucks on his skin and it could hurt him. So what do u think?

Yes I am very happy with all my fish now they just need to be happy! So I was just reading on my bichir and it said that it can be in a tank with aggressive fish as long as he can't eat them lol can't catch em to eat. So I was thinking that maybe my blue hap, pearl, and the bichir could go in a 125 gal and I could put my one male and two females (eventually) :) in a 75 gal with plecto. The plecto can't be with bichir he sucks on his skin and it could hurt him. So what do u think?
IMO, the blue hap and the jewel shouldn't be together. The jewel is more mild and would torn apart by the hap. Also, the pleco needs 125 gallons. Those are the reason I suggested you split the species I way I did. I agree that the pleco shouldn't be with the bichir. But, the pleco would be fine with the cichlids. I have read that about bichirs too, so I think he would be fine with any of the cichlids, the issue is making sure the jewel doesn't get picked on, and that the pleco gets enough space. So, the hap and the pleco really should be in the 125g. The jewel needs to not be picked on, and the pleco can't be with the bichir IMO.

****it lol I got a hard bunch to work with lol. Okay so the 125 gal will be my lab with two females, plecto and my blue hap? And 75 gal for the bichir and jewel? And the 20 gal with angel and ram?

****it lol I got a hard bunch to work with lol. Okay so the 125 gal will be my lab with two females, plecto and my blue hap? And 75 gal for the bichir and jewel? And the 20 gal with angel and ram?
I thought the angel as going to get a 29? Well, some people say 29 gallons is the minimum for an angel, some people say 20. Personally, I think an angel and a ram will be fine in a 20. Oh, and get 3 female labs, not 2. But yes, I think that sounds good. You will also have some space in those tanks in case you decide you want a few more fish, but I think the ones you have will be very happy in those set-ups. Its alwys good to set it up, see how it goes, and add more later if you feel more fish wold be happy in the set-up. :)
Another note, the ram and angel would like a couple of plants and probably some drift wood. The cichlids like caves and rock set-ups. They are pretty hard on love plants, so I would skip plants in their tanks.

Well I decided that when I get the 29 gal the hap, lab, and pearl will go in their for now til I can get the tanks for pearl and bichir and the bigger tank for lab and hap. I'm pretty sure with in a month I will get everyone in the bigger tanks it may take a little longer for caves and driftwood etc not long just two wks next payday lol. I will do what I can and will take pics soon of my babies lol. Thanks for all the info I am hitting the sack got a full day of chasing kids cleaning house and tanks. If u come across anything I am more than willing to learn about my fish. Websites etc. Again thank u and nite!

Well I decided that when I get the 29 gal the hap, lab, and pearl will go in their for now til I can get the tanks for pearl and bichir and the bigger tank for lab and hap. I'm pretty sure with in a month I will get everyone in the bigger tanks it may take a little longer for caves and driftwood etc not long just two wks next payday lol. I will do what I can and will take pics soon of my babies lol. Thanks for all the info I am hitting the sack got a full day of chasing kids cleaning house and tanks. If u come across anything I am more than willing to learn about my fish. Websites etc. Again thank u and nite!
Sounds good. I hope I helped you a bit. Its awesome that you are so dedicated to your fish.

Back
Top Bottom