Advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
See one thing about me is I love my animals all of the just like they are children. My fish help with my depression and anxiety alot. I will doanything I can so they will be happy. God created them to they deserve to be as happy as they can in a tank.

Okay one more tiny question I noticed last nite that my lab and hap where picking to my jewel. Is my jewel to aggressive to put with angel and ram for now so I can get a bigger tank for him? Or would he kill my angel? Would it depend on the size of my fish or does size matter with aggressive fish? Or would it be better to leave him with my lab and hap? God I hate petsmart but I can do this. If I have to I will get the 75 gal next Thursday on payday. I'm not going to make them suffer cuz I was misinformed not the fishes fault.

Chasnkevin4ever said:
Okay one more tiny question I noticed last nite that my lab and hap where picking to my jewel. Is my jewel to aggressive to put with angel and ram for now so I can get a bigger tank for him? Or would he kill my angel? Would it depend on the size of my fish or does size matter with aggressive fish? Or would it be better to leave him with my lab and hap? God I hate petsmart but I can do this. If I have to I will get the 75 gal next Thursday on payday. I'm not going to make them suffer cuz I was misinformed not the fishes fault.

No i dont think it can go with the angel. And remember, you get the tank thursday, but will take at least a week or two to cycle if you put filter media in.

Okay and yes I get the tank Thursday but do u think my jewel will be okay in there I noticed last nite with the hap and lab that the jewel got tired of being picked on and started chasing them like they was doing to him. So he stood his ground that's good. Okay so now I have
Ten gal has angelfish, Dino bichir, and ram and snail
Twenty gal has hap, lab, jewel, plecto
I'm hoping that everything goes okay til I get the tanks. If anyone has anymore info on my babies I would love to hear it. Thank you everyone y'all all have been a great deal of help.

Chasnkevin4ever said:
Okay and yes I get the tank Thursday but do u think my jewel will be okay in there I noticed last nite with the hap and lab that the jewel got tired of being picked on and started chasing them like they was doing to him. So he stood his ground that's good. Okay so now I have
Ten gal has angelfish, Dino bichir, and ram and snail
Twenty gal has hap, lab, jewel, plecto
I'm hoping that everything goes okay til I get the tanks. If anyone has anymore info on my babies I would love to hear it. Thank you everyone y'all all have been a great deal of help.

Do you mean okay in there as in just put him in immediatly?

Yes and when cycling the fish have to be in it right? I have read that u could do it with fish or no fish. My first tank I had cycle I had fish in it. How would the best way to cycle it be?

Thank u bruinsbro and believe I have learned my lessons with my fish. I have made tones of mistakes. Like when we got our angel I put him in with my hap and he torn his fins apart but I got the angel out fast enough N he has recovered very well. His fins grew back long and pretty. He is so beautiful again just like the first day I got him. So yes I agree with makin mistakes. U have to make mistakes to learn part of it. I had gotten a dragon goby which he jumped out of the tank and died four days later. Broke my heart it was terrible cuz I was misinformed about him so I found out a bunch of stuff on him and when we get our eel a bigger tank we r planning on getting another one. Mistakes are sad to learn from but sometimes it's the best way to learn ur fish. My dragon goby is the only one I have had die so far and I got my tanks about six months ago.

Thank u bruinsbro and believe I have learned my lessons with my fish. I have made tones of mistakes. Like when we got our angel I put him in with my hap and he torn his fins apart but I got the angel out fast enough N he has recovered very well. His fins grew back long and pretty. He is so beautiful again just like the first day I got him. So yes I agree with makin mistakes. U have to make mistakes to learn part of it. I had gotten a dragon goby which he jumped out of the tank and died four days later. Broke my heart it was terrible cuz I was misinformed about him so I found out a bunch of stuff on him and when we get our eel a bigger tank we r planning on getting another one. Mistakes are sad to learn from but sometimes it's the best way to learn ur fish. My dragon goby is the only one I have had die so far and I got my tanks about six months ago.
I am just going to say that cycling will not be a big deal for ou since the fish going in there are so small. I would say leave the jewel with the other cichlids for, but watch him like a hawk! See hhow they are so young, but you can already see some aggression? Its good you are getting your tank soon. Ok, so, I see you read the articles. Thats great! Like I said, this is just my opinion, but I would recommend just putting the fish into the 75 once you get it. The amount of ammonia will be sooo small since the tank is so big.
You really should get a test kit to test the water parameters if you do not have one already. API liquid master is the one most people on here recommend. It seems to be pretty accurate. It should be about $30 at a petstore, or a little less online. Also, get Seachem Prime. It is a dechlorinator that also neautralizes ammonia temporarily so it is not harmful to the fish. Its good for treating the water when you do water changes.
This is just opinion, but I would suggest doing a fish-in cycle with the 75g so you can get the jewel out of the 20 asap. With the 125, you could do either a fish-in,or a fishless. Up to you. :)

Okay cool thanks. And I know this is probably a dumb question but this is my first tank I have had with cichlids. Why is the electric yellow called a lab?

Oh and I don't know if it's them playing or them getting aggressive. They dont try to bit each other they just chase one another.

Oh and I don't know if it's them playing or them getting aggressive. They dont try to bit each other they just chase one another.
IMO, that is territorial behavior. They chase and display and show off how big and pretty they are to each other while establishing a territory. It can turn into aggression later with these species.

Okay so then its a good thing the are getting bigger tanks and split up. So do we still agree with the hap and lab being in one big tank? Well because the hap and lab chase the jewel more than each other. The jewel chases back though lol. It's funny seeing a little baby fish pickin on a fish a couple inches bigger. But I don't like them getting mean that's why it will be quick with the tanks.

Okay so then its a good thing the are getting bigger tanks and split up. So do we still agree with the hap and lab being in one big tank? Well because the hap and lab chase the jewel more than each other. The jewel chases back though lol. It's funny seeing a little baby fish pickin on a fish a couple inches bigger. But I don't like them getting mean that's why it will be quick with the tanks.
Yep, I still think its ok. Remember, there is a big difference between 20 gallons and 125 gallons. The lab also will focus more on his fish ladies once he gets them. :) Also, more fish means more options for the hap to chase if he is feeling like chasing, so nobody gets picked on.

Alrite that sounds great. I will def. Let y'all know if I have anymore questions yall have all been a great help. And if y'all come across anything that could help anymore just let me know. Thanks to all.

Going good just trying to figure out if I should rehome my jewel and I have decided to. The people taking him has a 150g with cichlids in it. So they are probably more prepAred then I was.

Back
Top Bottom