african cichlid substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like the sound of that. Feel free to post a few more pics of your tank if u don't mind. How are your water parameters too while using pfs?

PFS doesn't affect water parameters, aside from giving off silicates that will temporarily promote diatoms. As mentioned, very natural looking and is my favorite type of substrate.

bzcd.jpg

I like the sound of that. Feel free to post a few more pics of your tank if u don't mind. How are your water parameters too while using pfs?

After washing for 15-20 minute, it doesn't almost doesn't cloud at all

Would about 70lbs of lace rock or south seas base rock keep the ph up enough with the pfs in a 75 gallon tank? How many pounds of pfs should I expect to use in a 75?

I too am in the process of setting up a cichlid tank. Will Aragonite sand also be a good substrate? I happen to have an excess. I don't want it ruining my canister filter if it's too light.

Yes aragonite will help raise ph, if you're in the process of setting up for cichlids that require a high ph it will help.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It looked pretty fine to me. I've never used it so idk the +and- of aragonite

I prefer the aragonite, due to it being a natural buffer. However, I have to say that I don't know that sand is going to be your best option if you are only planning on monthly maintenance. Even with only feeding every other day, you are likely to have a lot of debris floating around on top of that sand after 4 weeks of no maintenance.

Would u recommend black aquarium gravel? Or stick with the sand and increase te maintenance on the tank?

I prefer the aragonite, due to it being a natural buffer. However, I have to say that I don't know that sand is going to be your best option if you are only planning on monthly maintenance. Even with only feeding every other day, you are likely to have a lot of debris floating around on top of that sand after 4 weeks of no maintenance.

I'm setting up a 55g with the aragonite. For filtration I would use:
306 fluval canister filter
Aquaclear 70 hob
2X ati hydro iv sponge filters

I would probably do weekly 50% WC.

This tank will be a 75 with some type of canister filter and power heads. It's going to be set up in a place of business so I'm not going to charge them every week to clean the tank. And it's not going to be pack full of fish so I figured I would be ok

If you stick with sand, you will likely need to increase maintenance to at least biweekly. I also don't really recommend black gravel unless you are doing weekly water changes. Otherwise, it really isn't going to stay black.

Back
Top Bottom