African Cichlids... and??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mako927

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Okay, I decided to go with African cichlids for my 60g. I have been very busy getting it set up. Cycled and running. I put in some holey rocks for hiding spaces, added a little crushed coral for them. I did put a little salt in the water, but just a half dose (5tpsp) since my pH is already fairly high in the tap water. I am giving the tank time to stabilize now, and testing the pH to make certain that is stable. Things are looking good so far.

My lfs has a nice stock of Africans (mbuna). Some around 4-5", some in the 2-3" range, and some real babies all an inch or under 2-3 months old. Thinking I may go with a good stock of those babies. Less hardy, yes, but watching them grow might be nice. And, the cost hits the wallet a little lighter.

Anyway... getting to my question...

Aside from the African cichlids (mbunas)... what else do you recommend in the tank?

I am thinking along the lines of a bottom feeder to clean up some cichlid messiness, or an algae eater to control algae. Is this recommended/needed and, if so, which one? I have seen some debate that bottom feeders are not really helpful, too, as they replace whatever food they clean up with poop they drop

So, are there any bottom feeders, algae eaters, or other tank mates you recommend I plan to include? And, should they go in before the cichlids, to minimize aggression issues?

Thanks SO much! :thanks:

I have some bottom feeders and algae eaters in my mbuna tanks (various synodontis cats and a BN pleco) but more tank diversity rather than scavenger/algae-eating purposes.

Mbuna's seem to be rather well-adapt as scavengers and algae grazers in their own right.

Mbuna only need more mbuna in their tank. If you add other types of fish, when those mbuna (some types worse than others) become adults, they will kill anything else in there. There are some who have had temporary luck housing other fish with them, but to be honest, it is only a matter of time.

I have a single synodontis eupterus in with my mbuna. Get them small 1-2" so they grow up together. You can adjust your stock as problems arise. Remember to stock for adult size, the tank looks barren with 15-20 1" mbuna but they'll fill it up.

Back
Top Bottom