African cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TaylorT

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How many lake malawi African cichlids can I add to my 100 gallon tank? I have 25 in there right now and I have a fluval fx5 for filtration. Thanks for your help.

Malawi's is a to general to determine a stock list, are they mbuna, peacocks or haps? This will help us in determing what other fish are appropriate with your tank.

TaylorT said:
How many lake malawi African cichlids can I add to my 100 gallon tank? I have 25 in there right now and I have a fluval fx5 for filtration. Thanks for your help. I have mbuna, pecocks and haps mixed

That certainly does complicate stocking due to differnt sizes and aggression issues. What size are the fish now? Can you break down your current stock list to us? Generally you don't want to mix mbuna with haps/peacocks due to their hyper aggressive behavior but it can work depending on what fish are in there now.

They are from 3inches to 5inches. I have Arutus, electric yellow, snowies, electric blues and peacocks. And see If you can tell any others. From the picture. Thank you

Attachments

• image-1251227269.jpg
    image-1251227269.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 151
I think the most important thing about stocking africans is the male to female ratio of the tank. This will limit aggresion, hybridlization, stress and ultimately the balance of the tank. What your aiming for is 1m-5f, once this is settled then you determine stock. Is this a 5ft tank? If so I would think you could keep 5 spieces and end up with around 30-35 fish.

Look's like the horizontal stripe blue ones look like Johanni and the peacock on the left looks like a Strawberry or Dragon Blood. I can't tell the others without closer pics.

Ya it's a 5ft tank. Ya I was thinking about 30 to 35 as well but I wasn't sure. I know there is thousands of African cichlids but in your opinion what are some other colorful African cichlids I should add?

How many of each fish are in there?(how many mbuna, peaccocks and haps). I have been concentrating on breeding peacocks, I currenty breed german reds, sunshine or benga, and taiwian reefs to name a few. I would ditch the mbuna concenrate on the peacocks.

I have 3 of each give or take one or two. 1 male 2 females. I want 3 more peacocks

Back
Top Bottom