Albino Cories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gmeredith56880

Aquarium Advice Regular
Alright so in the past few days I've had two albino cories die and i believe I know the reasons, I just want to explain what happened and get some confirmation before I go buy more cories. So the cories were pretty small, one was way smaller than the others. Well when I first added them one of them got attacked by a crayfish, I saved it and moved all the crays out of my tank. He was sporadic for a few days but ultimately survived. So after a couple of days I came home and found the little one stuck in my filter. So I helped him out and he swam away, found him dead the next day. And now today I woke up to find the one that got attacked the first day dead. I assume it was stress from being attacked and sucked up that killed them both? The remaining albino seems fine and is active.

Stress seems like a very probable cause here. Cories are super sensitive fish when it comes to environment change, they simply don't like it. Sometimes it can takes weeks for cories to settle in new aquarium, and sometimes a few days.

I'd also like to ask what kind of filtration do you have going? Maybe it's too strong considering one got sucked up into the filter.

I agree with the stress, did you make sure that you accumulated them first? I haven't really had any experiences with small cories until recently, two of my cories eggs hatched and now I have 10 babies that I am keeping alive. I used to have 4 cories but two of them died because they got stuck between the heater and the glass(put a guard so it won't happen again).

Corydoras

Alright so in the past few days I've had two albino cories die and i believe I know the reasons, I just want to explain what happened and get some confirmation before I go buy more cories. So the cories were pretty small, one was way smaller than the others. Well when I first added them one of them got attacked by a crayfish, I saved it and moved all the crays out of my tank. He was sporadic for a few days but ultimately survived. So after a couple of days I came home and found the little one stuck in my filter. So I helped him out and he swam away, found him dead the next day. And now today I woke up to find the one that got attacked the first day dead. I assume it was stress from being attacked and sucked up that killed them both? The remaining albino seems fine and is active.

Hello g...

I keep my Corydoras with smaller peaceful fish because Corys are very peaceful. My filtration is steady, but not strong. I change half the water in my tanks weekly, because Corys especially and all fish thrive in pure water conditions. Keep the tank free of abrasive or sharp gravel or decorations. Feed a good diet. I feed mostly frozen. It's by far the most nutritious.

Plants are important. A lot of them in the tank make the fish feel comfortable and protected. I like Brazilian Water weed and Pennywort floated in my tanks. Provide some of these things and your fishes' general health will improve.

Just a couple of thoughts.

B

Stress seems like a very probable cause here. Cories are super sensitive fish when it comes to environment change, they simply don't like it. Sometimes it can takes weeks for cories to settle in new aquarium, and sometimes a few days.

I'd also like to ask what kind of filtration do you have going? Maybe it's too strong considering one got sucked up into the filter.

The filter is an aqueon quietflow 55/75. The one that got stuck was probably 1/2 inch long. I wont be getting any more small ones. I have 5 peppered cories ranging from 1 inch to 2.5inch and they have been fine. (had three of them for about a month and the other 2 I bought with the albinos). Petsmart has them for 1 dollar right now so the stock may not be the greatest quality right now.

Hello g...

I keep my Corydoras with smaller peaceful fish because Corys are very peaceful. My filtration is steady, but not strong. I change half the water in my tanks weekly, because Corys especially and all fish thrive in pure water conditions. Keep the tank free of abrasive or sharp gravel or decorations. Feed a good diet. I feed mostly frozen. It's by far the most nutritious.

Plants are important. A lot of them in the tank make the fish feel comfortable and protected. I like Brazilian Water weed and Pennywort floated in my tanks. Provide some of these things and your fishes' general health will improve.

Just a couple of thoughts.

B

My substrate is sand, which I changed from gravel just for the cories. I have a low light set up and the only plant I have in the tank is java moss. Would the plants you mentioned do okay in a low light setup? Also my cories have been eating the left over fish flakes and sometimes nibble on the algae wafers I drop in there for my shrimp. I was thinking about picking up some catfish pellets today. What kind of frozen foods are the best for them?

Corydoras

Hello again g...

A sandy substrate is fine for Corys, but can become compacted in areas and cause water chemistry problems. Large, weekly water changes are very important, because you'll remove much of the dissolved nitrogens from the fish waste that can foul the tank water. The toxins that remain are diluted in the new water. But, you must commit to an aggressive water change routine.

I keep low to moderate light tanks and have Anubias nangi and Java fern attached to lava rock and Brazilian waterweed and Pennywort floating. I have a bit more than a watt per gallon of tank volume and the plants thrive in the subdued light and pure water conditions.

Dry and flaked food have additives and neither is as healthy as frozen brine or mysis shrimp, beef heart, plankton, bloodworms and krill. These have nothing but the frozen animal and water.

B

My substrate is sand, which I changed from gravel just for the cories. I have a low light set up and the only plant I have in the tank is java moss. Would the plants you mentioned do okay in a low light setup? Also my cories have been eating the left over fish flakes and sometimes nibble on the algae wafers I drop in there for my shrimp. I was thinking about picking up some catfish pellets today. What kind of frozen foods are the best for them?

Have you not been feeding the cories? They don't live off of leftovers. A lot of people think that. Hey need a balanced diet of food just like any other fish.

I would have to agree with everyone else. Adding something over the filter so they can't get sucked up helps. If they are healthy a filter shouldn't suck them up for the most part. Adding them with the crayfish wasn't a very good idea.

I also have realized when I watch my cories, is that they like to swim against the powerhead current. They also will lay their eggs near the current to keep them from getting fungus. I think that they swim against the current for exercise and when they get tired, they just go with the flow until they reach the aquarium bottom.

Back
Top Bottom