Algae eater for tanks need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chasnkevin4ever

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm thinking about getting some algae eaters for my 20g and my JDs tank it's 23g? My JD was beating up my pleco and I have also rehomed my pleco to a bigger tank with new owners! So I'm trying to find some sucker fish that will fit in a 20g and a 55g cuz my JD is getting one in a couple months, any suggestions?

If you're thinking of Chinese algea eaters don't. They become very aggressive and will suck onto the side of some fish and kill them. I got rid the ones I had because of the aggressiveness. I replaced them with otos who are very, very peaceful. I have 3 in a 29g and they are busy, working little fools, but they are very small.

The name is otocinclus catfish. The clean the algae on everything similar to a pleco. Google it as their are pix and all the info you need.

Otos would be great in your 20g. But not in the JD tank, he will eat them.:)
For the 55g with the JD, I am not totally sure. A bristle-nose pleco might work. They are fine in that size tank and are armored. There are come other plecos put there suitable for a 55g too, but I don't remember them off the top of my head. But, if your JD is being aggressive, it might be better to skip an algae eater in his tank. He should hopefully chill out in a larger environment though. How big is he right now?

Pitbulls are too small for the JD, but would be fine in other tank. Pitties are definitely bite-sized for a JD. :)

absolutangel04 said:
Otos would be great in your 20g. But not in the JD tank, he will eat them.:)
For the 55g with the JD, I am not totally sure. A bristle-nose pleco might work. They are fine in that size tank and are armored. There are come other plecos put there suitable for a 55g too, but I don't remember them off the top of my head. But, if your JD is being aggressive, it might be better to skip an algae eater in his tank. He should hopefully chill out in a larger environment though. How big is he right now?

I would say he is about five inches right now. And so colorful and pretty!

A pitbull and a rubberlip are both types of pleco. :) Pitties are too small for your JD. They only get to 2-3 inches. The rubberlip is bigger, its similarly sized to the bristle-nose pleco I believe.

The more I think about it, I am not sure if a bristle-nose would be a good match for your JD. Hopefully somebody with some JD experience will chime in. Steez (a member here) has JD's. YOu could try PMing him maybe. :)

If you have an algae problem, you really need to find out why, you don't just purchase a fish you think will get rid of the issue for you.

If you have an algae problem, you really need to find out why, you don't just purchase a fish you think will get rid of the issue for you.

Don't have any algae problem. I want that fish that why I'm getting it. I wanted my rocky but he needed a bigger tank and I can't do it right now.

Don't have any algae problem. I want that fish that why I'm getting it. I wanted my rocky but he needed a bigger tank and I can't do it right now.

You just said you wanted one for algae control.... but then you don't have any algae...

When someone says they want the fish, but don't know which algae eater they want, it pretty strongly tells me that they don't know what they want at all. They fact that you are trying to add fish to a potentially hazardous situation furthers this....

I think you need to reconsider your algae eater choice until you know which you want rather than what you want...

Back
Top Bottom