Algae eater for tanks need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
aqua_chem said:
You just said you wanted one for algae control.... but then you don't have any algae...

When someone says they want the fish, but don't know which algae eater they want, it pretty strongly tells me that they don't know what they want at all. They fact that you are trying to add fish to a potentially hazardous situation furthers this....

I think you need to reconsider your algae eater choice until you know which you want rather than what you want...

Okay let me explain. My tank is not overwhelmed with algae.

aqua_chem said:
You just said you wanted one for algae control.... but then you don't have any algae...

When someone says they want the fish, but don't know which algae eater they want, it pretty strongly tells me that they don't know what they want at all. They fact that you are trying to add fish to a potentially hazardous situation furthers this....

I think you need to reconsider your algae eater choice until you know which you want rather than what you want...

I know what I want. I want a pleco that will not have to be rehomed cuz it needs more room! Does that make sense!

@Chasnkevin4ever, it is true that your tank does not need to algae eater. You can control algae in other ways (like limiting the amount of light, using a magentic algae scraper, and planting a tank), but I know you have expressed that you really love your fish and its good that you are researching these fish before buying them. :) If you want an algae eater though, then feel free to get one. They are fun little guys. Just remember that you don't need one to control algae. :)

Whoops, you already posted! :) But yeah, I know you cared a lot about your pleco, so I am sure you will care a lot about a different fish too. :)

I wanted to keep rocky... He was part of the family! Yeah im just trying to do right so I don't have to rehome another one. I found this one I'm thinking of getting, pretty neat looking pleco.

Well, I think either otos or a couple of pitbull plecos would be good in your 20g tank. There are some other small species, but they seem harder to find than the otos or pitties. :) Both fish like groups, so I recommend 3 of either fish.

Chasnkevin4ever said:
Yeah its the tank I'm getting my albino butterfly bushynose pleco. I think it's a hybrid not sure though, I found it on thatpetplace.com!

Its just a longfin version of the normal shortfin bristlenose. They require the same care as a normal bristlenose pleco. Have a search around your LFS and ask on here. $30 plus postage is way too much for one. :) I wouldn't be buying a fish from a place that doesn't even know the name of the fish thy are selling.

I agree that making helpful comments and offering advice are what this site is all about, but trying to degrade people isn't.

Chasnkevin4ever said:
I have gotten fish and supplies there before. So what should I do not buy that fish or what?

If you've researched the fish, have room in your tank and still want it then go for it. I was just pointing out that there are probably better places to get the fish from. Fish I've seem for $45 online I've seen for $15 at my LFS. Even the differences in LFS can be a lot. I found one was $17 an one was $8, same fish.

I just have to add that before you add any new fish at all to this tank you really need to get the ammonia under control.

If you've researched the fish, have room in your tank and still want it then go for it. I was just pointing out that there are probably better places to get the fish from. Fish I've seem for $45 online I've seen for $15 at my LFS. Even the differences in LFS can be a lot. I found one was $17 an one was $8, same fish.

I just have to add that before you add any new fish at all to this tank you really need to get the ammonia under control.

Our lfs don't have the weird looking fish I want. I may just get a couple of them midget algae eaters the oto. They were kinda cute and I read if u have three or more they will swim around alot more! I am still deciding, I have algae in tank, just not overwhelming amount. I just want one to maintain the algae, I will feed them other stuff. Algae wafers, lettuce, peas, etc so they have plenty of food. And my twenty gallon has room for which ever one I decide to get. I would like to get one that I will be able to keep and not have to get rid of another fish. I guess u could say I rehomed one to make a better choice on which one I am going to get :)

Our lfs don't have the weird looking fish I want. I may just get a couple of them midget algae eaters the oto. They were kinda cute and I read if u have three or more they will swim around alot more! I am still deciding, I have algae in tank, just not overwhelming amount. I just want one to maintain the algae, I will feed them other stuff. Algae wafers, lettuce, peas, etc so they have plenty of food. And my twenty gallon has room for which ever one I decide to get. I would like to get one that I will be able to keep and not have to get rid of another fish. I guess u could say I rehomed one to make a better choice on which one I am going to get :)

If you want to get an oto, I have some advice for you.

Figure out a drip acclimation system. Otos are one of those fragile fish where it would be worthwhile to drip them. I have my tank set up such that I can stick one end of airline into a filter outflow and the other in a floating container so I can control the temp of the new arrivals. Make sure you have the whole thing set up before getting them, and they'll appreciate it. I didn't lose any of my otos doing that.

I let my tank go a little for a little bit before I introduced my otos such that there was a natural algae supply in place for when they first arrived (and they will probably be hungry when that happens). That gave me a little leeway to get them to eat wafers. Also, my otos only seem to like diatoms and soft green algae, which is pretty much the norm, fyi.

Zucchini. 'nough said.

I have my oto group in a heavily planted peaceful 40b, and I never see them. I was hoping they would be out and about more, but sadly.... If you're looking for eye candy, otos might not be a great option. I have seen them out in other tanks though, so YRMV.

Good luck!

I agree that making helpful comments and offering advice are what this site is all about, but trying to degrade people isn't.

I wasn't trying to degrade him. If anything, I was being tough on him. The fact that he doubled down on wanting one rather than becoming defensive about an algae problem tells me that he wants the fish for the fish, and not because he's being lazy about a algae problem :lol: Which is good.

I think part of of giving advice is addressing problems that aren't asked, like stocking "maintenance fish". Its certainly one of my major pet peeves, and I wanted to be sure that it wasn't the case. If the community thought he were doing that, we probably would have come down on him. But he's not, and we're not.

I'm getting some red cherry shrimp instead :) what would my JD do with them?

I don't know what you should get, but I had a JD years ago who killed his mate and ate everything else in the tank. They may be pretty, but oh so aggressive. When I suggested otos I misunderstood you because I didn't realize you were talking about putting them with your JD.

If you want to get an oto, I have some advice for you.

Figure out a drip acclimation system. Otos are one of those fragile fish where it would be worthwhile to drip them. I have my tank set up such that I can stick one end of airline into a filter outflow and the other in a floating container so I can control the temp of the new arrivals. Make sure you have the whole thing set up before getting them, and they'll appreciate it. I didn't lose any of my otos doing that.

I let my tank go a little for a little bit before I introduced my otos such that there was a natural algae supply in place for when they first arrived (and they will probably be hungry when that happens). That gave me a little leeway to get them to eat wafers. Also, my otos only seem to like diatoms and soft green algae, which is pretty much the norm, fyi.

Zucchini. 'nough said.

I have my oto group in a heavily planted peaceful 40b, and I never see them. I was hoping they would be out and about more, but sadly.... If you're looking for eye candy, otos might not be a great option. I have seen them out in other tanks though, so YRMV.

Good luck!

I bought 3 otos about 4 months ago and just floated the bag for about 15 min. and then put them in the tank and they are fine. They are out all the time on the side of the tank or the plants. I guess you just never know.

Back
Top Bottom