Algae problems?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ben300

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432862077.530227.jpg
Got to kill of some algae

30 gallon reef jbj RL tank
40 gallon pleco tank

lol a card board tank cover , bigger water changes will remove phosphates fueling the algae and get rid of it faster . got to admit now I've seen it all

lol a card board tank cover , bigger water changes will remove phosphates fueling the algae and get rid of it faster . got to admit now I've seen it all

Haha yeah my water parameters are excellent, but I just got a new more powerful light and the algae loves it as much as the coral do

30 gallon reef jbj RL tank
40 gallon pleco tank

The tank has to get used to the lighting, blacking out the tank will only hold the algae at bay for a few days, then it will be back.

Bigger water changes may help more, but you can never do over 50% without having some negative effects. That will shock the system, covering it dark is a better option.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Bigger water changes may help more, but you can never do over 50% without having some negative effects. That will shock the system, covering it dark is a better option.

who told you that ?
removing a good percentage of the water and replaced with fresh clean water will help remove big amounts of phosphates and will stop feeding algae there is no beneficial bacteria in the water column , its in the rock and sand
I do big major water changes every other month it not only helps the health of the corals it keeps out unwanted algae and it replenishes nutrients , I have yet to see any algae in my tank in over a year , and I run my lights 12hrs a day daily

Well, I have read on varies online sites that said big swing in water changes would stressed the fish and corals. This is specially true when it comes to SPs

If the parameters are the same it's not going to hurt anything, no matter what size the water change is, but if you are adding 73 degree water to an 80 degree tank, or a massive ph difference....you are going to see the effects of that.

Back
Top Bottom