Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trainer_Ruby_

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is algae harmful or do people want to get rid of it because it looks bad? I personally like the look of it. I have some fake decor that got covered in algae and it looks really nice. Same with the back wall of my tank. It gives a nice natural green background and my fish like to go nibble on it.

Keep calm and drum on

No it's technically not bad. In the wild it's a great way nature consumes things in the water to keep critters safe.

Most people, myself included just find it an eyesore. If you like it, by all means let it grow mol

Caleb

I usually let it grow on the back wall. I like the look of it, too..and think it can be beneficial and aesthetically pleasing as long as it is kept under control and assuming it is not the result of any issues with water chemistry.

I like algae and my ottos like algae. My snails like it and my shrimp like it and my fish pick at it. It looks natural and it is natural. It can be part of a healthy and balanced Eco system and trying to prevent it is pointless in my opinion. Dousing every patch of algae with H2o2 or glut as a 'treatment' would just take the fun out of fish keeping for me but as the saying goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It definitely depends on the algae. Maybe ill let's some BBA grow out and submit a pic for consideration. We'll see if several giant black tufts of algae covering a plant that is now slowly dying looks pleasing to anybody's eyes. ?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It definitely depends on the algae. Maybe ill let's some BBA grow out and submit a pic for consideration. We'll see if several giant black tufts of algae covering a plant that is now slowly dying looks pleasing to anybody's eyes. ?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I'm dying inside thinking of that horrific sight. Spots of BBA in my planted tank bugged me to death much less a whole tuft of it...

Caleb

Let it grow on hardscape, it's part of a balanced system really, lots of the fish pick at it too. Not on the plants though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

BBA is unsightly to me, but green spot algae doesn't bother me. Unfortunately I don't get one without the other so my photo period is split to prevent algae growth

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom