Algea eater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meggieelala

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409908850.262179.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409908859.714908.jpg

Does anyone know what this algae eater is and how to feed it, it was sold to me as a Chinese algae eater but when I looked up online doesn't appear to be one. I am worried it may starve to death as my tank is pretty clean and it will not go on the bottom of the tank to eat algae wafers.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

View attachment 249086View attachment 249087

Does anyone know what this algae eater is and how to feed it, it was sold to me as a Chinese algae eater but when I looked up online doesn't appear to be one. I am worried it may starve to death as my tank is pretty clean and it will not go on the bottom of the tank to eat algae wafers.

It's a hillstream loach. When do you feed it?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's a hillstream loach. When do you feed it?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have tried feeding it at various times of the day as it is always active then. My only problem is that it won't go on the bottom of the tank, only the sides and on the decorations so I can't actually get it's food to it.

EDIT: I just looked it up and the sucker belly type, which I have are almost impossible to feed as they don't go on the bottom and will only eat algea, I'll just have to hope I have enough to keep my little fishes going for now until I get more algea growth :/

What size tank is it in (I know that's a little off topic)? Algea eaters really do need a large tank!

Hillstream loaches require somewhat specific tank set ups. Colder water, fast currents that are well oxygenated and plenty of algae/biofilm are all things important for them to thrive. Some people have success feeding them various veggies or repashy gel food, also growing algae in jars outside is an easy way to feed them too.

Back
Top Bottom