Ammonia and Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jodee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi
I have a 16 litre tank. had 1 fish for 3 weeks and the tank set up for 2 weeks before. The filter is looking dirty now. I have read something on here that says to sit a new filter in the fish tank for a while first.Is this right? Already lost 1 fish so scared of doing anything now. Also for the last week my ammonia levels have been 1.0. I've been doing 25% water changes most days and occassionally using ammo lock but still its the same. The fish is eating and will have a swim but looks stressed as it tends to sit and watch alot. I have two plants in also. not sure what sort. and no light. I'm at a loss. Please help. This was supposed to be a nice and easy xmas pressie for my son but the pet shops dont tell you what you have to do with a filtered tank. dont wanna lose another fish for his sake.Any advice would be great. Thanks

Your ammonia level is too high. I'd recommend doing a 50% water change to get the levels down. As long as you match the temperature fairly closely you shouldn't have any problems with that size water change. Swish the filter pad around in the old water before dumping it. This will clean it off without damaging the beneficial bacteria.

ta. do i put the new filter in the water too before putting it in do you know?

I'm not sure I understand your question.

The filter pad needs to be rinsed in the used aquarium water to protect the beneficial bacteria. Rinsing in Tap Water would expose it to Chlorine or Chloramines if using city water which would kill off the beneficial bacteria and start your cycle from scratch. Once you've rinsed off the filter pad put it back in the filter.

thanks for that. I've done the water change now. my fish didn't look too happy today and ammonia shot to 2.0. don't hold out much hope. would you recommend a 50% water change every day and should I stop feeding. If so for how long. Sorry to be a nuisance!

Anytime your Ammonia gets to 1ppm or higher I'd do at least a 50% water change. You could probably go as high as 90% if needed.

it is a WBK45F/UK or WBKS45UK. it came complete with a spongebob kit. the filter cartrides are clear free disposibles QCF1

Have you tested your source water for ammonia? How much/often are you feeding?

yeah. been doing it for the last 2 weeks.ammonia going up and down
and now that I have been doing 50% water changes to get it down, the PH has gone down too. Argh!
Readings before a 50% change today were
PH 6.4
Ammonia 1.0
Nitrate5.0
Nitrite 0
and I feed 1 flake once a day

I can't seem to find a reference to that filter anywhere. the media seems to beliong to Penn Plax aquariums. Is this what you mean?

I find it interensting that after 5 weeks you have a large amount of ammonia and you didn't say anything about getting a nitrite spike in that time. It kind of suggests that something may have gone wrong with the cycle.

You were saying that the filter media was really dirty? Again, after 5-6 weeks it shouldn't be THAT dirty, should it? Some correct me if I'm talking rubbish.

The media is penn plax yes. I've tested again today and everything is the same except ammonia has gone down to 0.5.
So do I do anotther water change or should I just leave it today cos the PH still low.
The bloomin pet shop told me to do 1 flake a day because they told me 2 flakes last time and the fish died after a week. Wish I'd found this site then.I will give more food now. The little fellow is still with me!

Since your ammonia is going down and is now at only 0.5ppm, I'd just keep an eye on it rather than doing a water change. As long as you don't have a spike of Ammonia or Nitrite above 1ppm you can let things be.

I'm fairly sure that it was the cycle with spikes of Ammonia and Nitrate that killed your first fish, and not directly the amount it was fed. It is good to feed lightly during the cycle to help keep the parameters in check. More food = More Ammonia.

If you're using the same water source (tap or well water) you shouldn't be seeing any significant changes in the pH unless the water treatment has changed. What are you using to test with (test strips, liquid test, etc)? What water are you using?

thank you very much for your advice. i use tap water with API tap water conditioner and API stress coat.
I use the API master kit to test. I wasnt checking every day. do you advise to check everyday?

Especially with fish in the aquarium I probably would check the Ammonia and Nitrite levels daily, or if not definately if your fish shows any signs of stress.

If that's the liquid test kit (not the tablets or dip strips) then you have a relatively reliable results. I do remember reading that during a cycle the pH readings can be affected. I probably wouldn't worry about testing pH until after your cycle is complete.

yeah.its the liquid. thanks alot. will keep posted

Just tested today and its. PH 6.6 and ammonia gone back to 1.0. what am I doing wrong???? gave the fish more food. it dont bother with it. has a flake then goes back to its corner.doesnt come right up to get it either. is my filter tooo slow. too fast. don't understand at all!

Back
Top Bottom