Ammonia burn?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maxiharls

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi so I’ve recently added a new Oranda to my tank which caused a ammonia and nitrite spike, I’ve been testing the water every day and trying to get it balanced out. But this morning the new fish has developed large red patches at the base of dorsal fin which has gotten worse throughout the day. I’m unsure if this is burn caused by ammonia or if there is another problem at hand.IMG_7261.jpg

It looks likely to be ammonia poisoning.

What size is the tank and what is the filtration?

What water declorinator are you using?

What are the water parameters?

Ammonia
NitrIte and
NitrAte

pH

TDS

Water hardness and alkalinity GH/KH

I would do a pwc / partial water change, back to back about a 25%, then another 25%. The next day another pwc but more like 40-50%.

Then the next day another pwc, and keep that going until you can get the water tested or a liquid test kit to verify the water is safe.

Read the article link in my signature, and the nitrification cycle is discussed and additional links are listed to help you with a tank which doesn't have enough beneficial bacteria / BB to process ammonia and waste. It will help you keep your tank safe for fish.

What size is the tank and what is the filtration? Tank is 100L. Filtration Fluval U2

What water declorinator are you using? API stress coat +

What are the water parameters?

Ammonia - 0
NitrIte and - .25
NitrAte - 10

pH - 7.8

TDS - unsure

Water hardness and alkalinity GH/KH - unsure
PHP:

Back
Top Bottom