Amount Of Ammonia 29 Gallon FW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thegundog

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am trying to fishless cycle my 29 Gallon Freshwater Tank and after reading multiple outstanding threads on AA I have two questions as follows:

1. How much ammonia should I add to my 29 Gallon to achieve the desired 4.0ppm ammonia. Is it a teaspoon, a tablespoon, a capful, an ounce? What's worked for you in the past?
  2. My local hardware store definetly does not have 100% ammonia, they only have the type that's full of chemicals to make things smell good..... This is what I purchased - does this seem like the correct type of ammonia?
    • Giant Brand Pure Power Clear Ammonia (All Purpose Cleaner)
      • Ingredients:
      • Ammonium Hydroxide
      • Surfactant
      • That's It!
Thanks for the feedback!

That won't do it. Surfactant is a no no. And you should be about 4.5 mL ammonia (if it's the 10% concentration which seems to be fairly consistent).

thegundog said:
I am trying to fishless cycle my 29 Gallon Freshwater Tank and after reading multiple outstanding threads on AA I have two questions as follows:

[*]How much ammonia should I add to my 29 Gallon to achieve the desired 4.0ppm ammonia. Is it a teaspoon, a tablespoon, a capful, an ounce? What's worked for you in the past?
[*]My local hardware store definetly does not have 100% ammonia, they only have the type that's full of chemicals to make things smell good..... This is what I purchased - does this seem like the correct type of ammonia?

[*]Giant Brand Pure Power Clear Ammonia (All Purpose Cleaner)

[*]Ingredients:
[*]Ammonium Hydroxide
[*]Surfactant
[*]That's It!

Thanks for the feedback!

Surfactant is not very good!

Would be better pure. You can still do it but do lots of warer change before putting fish after cycling. (watch for bubble!! Depending what filter you use!)

For the ammo im not sure so i would test after every teaspoon...

Do NOT use that ammonia!!! Any kind of additive will defeat your fishless cycle before you begin! Before we even discuss how much ammonia to add, we need to find you the right ammonia to add! Do you have an Ace Hardware near you? If you are unsure, google Ace Hardware & go to store locator to find the closest one. If so, go purchase Ace Hardware brand ammonia (janitorial strength 10%). If you do not have an Ace, Amazon.com sells Ace Hardware brand ammonia (janitorial strength 10%). Ok, that said, do you have a baby medicine syringe? They measure in mls and you can add amm by the drop as well. 5mls=1tsp. Initially, i would start with .625ml, wait ten mins & test for amm. Based on your reading, i would continue this doing this (.625ml at a time) until you reach an amm reading of 4ppm. Then record the exact amount needed to dose your tank to 4ppm. Ace ammonia is potent stuff so a little goes a LONG way! My method isnt exact to the drop but its what worked for me! Good luck and have lots of patience!!

Okay now I have another question:

Where can you find the correct ammonia?

I literally stopped in 6 places none had anything that appeared correct.

I've seen ACE hardware as a source, unfortunately in my area the Home Depot(s) have put all of the hardware shops out of business.....

Read my post! Amazon.com sells Ace Hardware ammonia (janitorial strength 10%)!!

THANKS for the awesome information!

We were posting simultaneously, I do recall an ACE store about an hour down the road...... think I'll make a trip down and pickup the correct ammonia.

Unfortunately, you may NOT find it. Getting to be a pain, but I can confirm the Ace stuff is pure. Alternate method is to use shrimp enclosed in a panty hose baggie & let it decompose.

Lots of people use ammonia with surfactants. It's purfumes and other additives you have to be really careful with. In the small amount of ammonia you're adding, the surfactants aren't going to cause any real issues.

You most definitely lose the control tightness with shrimp. It's just the only option some folks have. And be careful with the Ace stuff. It is POTENT. As you've seen, less than a tsp will handle the full 30 gal. I went to a local grocery pharmacy, and they gave me a plastic dropper for free. Works perfect with super degree of accuracy.

I have confirmed with the ACE store previously mentioned that they do have the janitorial brand so I'm going to pick some up.

I think the dropper's a great suggestion as well, you need so little it seems you could really have a mess if you are not fairly precise.

I'll have to travel two hours round trip and buy a gallon to get a few drops - oh well, for the love of my future fish!!!!

:)

I've got to find where I posted it, but I did a bunch of research and a write up about surfactants on another forum. I agree it's not always the end of the world...but there are different forms of "surfactants" which are used, and some have anti-bacterial properties. Anti-bacterial + beneficial bacteria = a not very successful cycle. I'm not saying it can't be done in many cases, I'm just saying it's not worth the gamble IMO.

Surfactants just decrease the surface tension of the water. If there are other things added, which would need to be listed on the 'ingredient list', that's different. Antibacterials, perfumes, etc would all be listed separately. I get the whole 'better safe than sorry' routine, and I'm a believer in it too... but for a 2 hour drive, it's worth the extra water change for assurance IMO. Obviously, opinions will vary... and I've never personally used ammonia with surfactants.... heck, I dont even fishless cycle... but from several mods and very experienced members posting that they have used it, as well as understanding what surfactants do, I have no reserves.

Yeah, I agree that for a 2 hour ride I might risk it. However, the pure stuff is pretty widely available online including from Dr. Tim's website. Again though, I'm not saying it's a death sentence or destined to fail...but there's enough reason out there that I wouldn't personally take a chance with it unless it was mandatory.

This is probably better suited for a different thread...but here's a post I typed up a while back on a different site when we were talking about it. (Not the same one I was trying to find...but still researched)

To be fair...I was kind of in a heated debate with a guy on the thread...so it may come off as a bit angry, lol. I'm not trying to start debate here, I'm open to everybody's opinions, I just wanted to post what I found when I researched it pretty deeply a few months ago.

--------------------------

* "As to the issue of surfactants. A surfactant is any compound that lowers surface tension or the interfacial tension between two materials. So by definition, surfactants ARE detergents.

That said, there are different forms. Some come from natural origins like palm oil or tallow, but a good amount of surfactants found in household cleaners are quaternary ammonium salts which are actually a petroleum based product. In certain brands you may find the natural type of surfactant used...but as far as something as already as abrasive and harsh as a bottle of ammonia...I have my doubts that many companies will go the distance to add a more eco-friendly (and more expensive) form.

The problem with using ammonia containing quaternary ammonium salts is that certain forms will have different properties which are the exact opposite of what you would want in an aquarium. Chief among them is that they are antimicrobial. So much so that they are specifically used as a disinfectant...and are an active ingredient even in products like spermicides! Altered forms are also used in insecticides and herbicides.

Obviously something specifically added to a product which kills bacteria, fungi, viruses, etc...is something that is going to be detrimental to colonizing nitrifying bacteria. I can name examples of cycles not starting off, and realizing that in tiny print...the bottle says "contains surfactants".

On the chance you find a type of pure ammonia which contains a natural surfactant...I wouldn't see an issue. In fact I've heard of people using certain brands containing surfactants without problems. However, on the label...the ingredient is simply listed as "surfactant' without information of the source...so instead of requesting chemical analysis sheets from the manufacturer... IMO, saying to avoid surfactants is the responsible and safest choice to recommend.

As for the type of surfactants commonly used, I think it's fair to say that using a natural source in a bottle of ammonia is not overly common in many cases.

According to OSHA-
Hazard Description
Ammonia is an irritant and corrosive to the skin, eyes, respiratory tract and mucous membranes. Exposure to liquid or rapidly expanding gases may cause severe chemical burns and frostbite to the eyes, lungs and skin. Skin and respiratory related diseases could be aggravated by exposure.

^ Now, adding natural plant extracts to that type of material doesn't seem like a very logical choice. There may be a number of products who do business using the "green" aspect to help move product...and that is likely where the organic products would be used...but again, basically as a marketing tool as opposed to having benefits to the commonly used quaternary ammonium salts. In the brands of ammonia based cleaning products I myself have seen on shelves, the natural ones also tend to contain other additives like scents and dyes in addition to the natural form of surfactants.

I'll post some links associated with surfactants as they relates to cleaning products including ammonia...but another great measurement is simply experience and results. I can name numerous examples of cycles never getting off the ground (even with tons of seeded media) being linked back to the tiny print on bottles which showed they contained surfactants, only to do a total tear down and rebuild with a proven brand and have expected results.

nanoparticles.org/pdfSalager-E300A.pdf
Quaternary ammonium cation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://www.scienceinthebox.com/en_UK...ctants_en.html
Surfactant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Again, as I said before...there are exceptions to every rule, and there are plenty of cases of certain brands not causing problems (I can think of a few off hand). People are obviously free to experiment with anything they want...but personally I view it as something not worth chancing if there are any other options available."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom