Angel Eggs hatching

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well the bottom 2 pics are definitely deformed and the third fish may also be as it appears that the fins are not symetrical to the body but since this is a smaller fish, the fins may not have started growing at a faster pace to catch up.

May be motion also, the flash I use has a pre-flash for off-camera flash sync a fraction of a second before, the sometimes the fish "flinch". But I do have one (not shown) that looks like this with one ventral about 70% the size of the other. I assume those will never become similar as they grow, or do they sometimes equalize?

The second fish's issue, to me, is that the ventrals are not longer as they should be with a veiltail fish. This looks like it's more a veil than a straight but it could also be a combo fish so the fins of a straight may be on the body of a veil??:blink: Who knows?:huh:

Off to read more about that. So much of the literature presumes one knows what a veiltail or comb or other terms mean.

But I think the bottom line of this is I got one conforming fish. Yippee. :facepalm:

Hope this helps (y)

Indeed. I definitely owe you a beer or three if we ever run into each other.

But I do have one (not shown) that looks like this with one ventral about 70% the size of the other. I assume those will never become similar as they grow, or do they sometimes equalize?

It all depends on why they are not the same. If it's genetics, probably not. If it was from being nipped off by a sibling or burned off from water conditions, then possibly. What I would do, as a breeder, would be to put this fish in a "hold for future" type tank and see what happens as the fish grows. If they don;t equalize, I would not keep the fish as a breeder. Depending on how bad it is would determine what I do with it as far as selling it or giving it to someone not looking to breed. (y)

But I think the bottom line of this is I got one conforming fish. Yippee. :facepalm:
This is what I was finding as well with the fish I started with this go- round. More fish fry that I wouldn't use than would. :facepalm: It will take a few generations to breed out these poor qualities but that's what I hope to do. (y)
In my conversations with my breeder buddy, he was telling me about many of today's colors that, if you look at them closely, wouldn't pass a T.A.S. conformity test. Bad gill plates, shortened fins, disfigured fins, etc. seem to be the norm. (It might explain why I only got 1 KOI from their spawns to be "good" ) The next time you go to your local fish store, check out the tanks of fish and look at the fish individually. It wouldn't surprise me if you found more deformed fish than good fish.

Indeed. I definitely owe you a beer or three if we ever run into each other.

If you are ever near State Road 60, just head East :D I'm about 2 1/2 hours from Cape Coral. (y)

Whoo! I've read Wigglers and all attached links, great info and I can now actually see what is going on here. :)

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Yes, I am a Harry Potter Nerd. SO THERE! ✨ ?⚡

Whoo! I've read Wigglers and all attached links, great info and I can now actually see what is going on here. :)

Wow. All of it? There is a test you know -- Andy will quiz you. :rolleyes:

I culled about half again with no ventrals, all the remaining (6) have at least the basic body parts intact, though some are short ventrals that might not develop.

Tried full size frozen brine shrimp today without success, but they love frozen baby shrimp.

They are also eating the ground flake and/or pellets though not quickly enough, it sinks and they eat it off the bottom mostly. They won't eat it when on the surface yet, but the floating frozen baby shrimp cube are teaching them, and they hear it plop in and they come up quickly and start picking at it.

They are getting the size I think I can give them away. Seeing one lady tomorrow who said she might want some, have one other possibility, then the rest go to a LFS that said they would take them. I think also with about half of my adults -- definitely learning that angels take a LOT of space.

No quizzing!
Like the MORE TANKS chant, only less positive. Lol

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Do people still read fish books??? :lol: Ok, YES to open book but NO to the internet!!!! :eek:

Wait... there are books that are not online? You mean something you could read if you were somehow disconnected?

Wow....

I ran across a similar thing. Someone delivered this big, thick, yellow printed thing to our door. Turns out someone had printed out the part of the internet that had business' phone numbers, and left it for us.

We threw it away of course, but still... interesting idea. Amazing what they come up with now-a-days.

Yes, see, there's this thing at school full of sheets of thin white stuff with letters on it- no one knows what it is! Pretty amazing, the things government and th schools have invented!

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Wait... there are books that are not online? You mean something you could read if you were somehow disconnected?

Wow....

I ran across a similar thing. Someone delivered this big, thick, yellow printed thing to our door. Turns out someone had printed out the part of the internet that had business' phone numbers, and left it for us.

We threw it away of course, but still... interesting idea. Amazing what they come up with now-a-days.

Yeah, sure :rolleyes: Next, I bet, you are going to say " And it was FREE!!!!!! " :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Okay, back to the thread :whistle:
Here's a pic of my Silver veil male. It's one of the best I could get of him and that's only because he was asleep. lol (This was actually the 2nd shot I took of him so you may see some eliminations coming from him. I think the first pic scared it out of him. :eek: )
You can best see the contour of the fins and you'll also notice that his tail is not super long but not super short either. This, is how, I believe, a good veil should look like as the tail is not a real hinderence ( as with super veils) but it definitely shows elongation and not just at the edges.

Attachments

• Silver Veil male.jpg
    Silver Veil male.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 33
Haven't posted in a while, and meant to continue my photo journal until the fry are gone.

Fish are well past nickle size. Two or three are hopefully going to a neighbor tomorrow, the rest will go to a local LFS. They are (reluctantly) eating pellets, mostly ignoring flakes, and still love frozen shrimp. But are much more aggressive eaters, instead of hiding when they see people they know it means food, they dash to the top.

Anyway:

The best looking one looks to be very silver (not sure if that's the right name):

i-TCTzZm4-XL.jpg

One that looked very wrong earlier and has developed better. The biggest one also. One ventral has a very black end that at quick glance makes them look unevent, but they are the same length, however one is at a bit different angle. Interesting (to me) dorsal fin.

i-c36BC7n-XL.jpg

This one has ventral fins perhaps too short, but looks good. There are two about like this. Not sure about the gill plate, if that's normal or not. It's not very gold to the eye, but the colors here are close to natural (look at the bamboo at the back scaring them toward the front).

i-dG4mQwR-XL.jpg

Anyway... no real question here (though I'd love to know if there's a proper name for the various colors), just wanted to keep this up until the angels are adopted.

PS. The same pair have yet another spawn in the community tank, now free swimming. I doubt anything will come of it, but they sure get points for persistency.

Linwood, just to get a rough idea was it about 7 weeks till they reached nickel size?

They had just hatched to wiggler state on 10/15 when I started keeping track (I think that was about a week after being laid, but am not sure).

They are well past nickle size now, so yes, I'd say about 7 weeks after wiggler, or maybe 8 from spawn.

PS. I would expect them to be slow in growing relative to someone who knew what they were doing, feed them better, etc.

They had just hatched to wiggler state on 10/15 when I started keeping track (I think that was about a week after being laid, but am not sure).

They are well past nickle size now, so yes, I'd say about 7 weeks after wiggler, or maybe 8 from spawn.

PS. I would expect them to be slow in growing relative to someone who knew what they were doing, feed them better, etc.

Thanks, I was trying to get an idea on about how long my current spawn will take to get there. Mine are getting close to dime size now, spawn was on 11/1

Back
Top Bottom