Angel fish - lone survivor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

McInnis

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I had a 55 gallon community tank that was doing very well until a couple of weeks ago. I had two full grown angels. I'm still not sure what happened, but I think maybe a clown loach died in a cave where I couldn't see. One day the fish wouldn't eat, then they started dying. I did furious water changes over the next couple of days, but nothing helped. The only survivor is one angel fish.

Before I start to restock the tank, I want to know if there's any way I could put another angel in there with him/her without a war breaking out. It's hard to buy an angel the same size, at least where I live. I'm afraid it would kill a smaller one, but I've never tried this before.

What should I do?

I would say that you should make sure your water quality is good before adding anything else at this point. Are you testing for ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, etc...? If so, what are your readings and such?

angels can live as solitary fishes in the aquarium so dont worry - instead of buying new and smaller angels which the big one would endlessly harrass, try buying other species of south american cichlids - the africans have different water parameters. that would make the angelfish your aquarium centerpiece.

heres a link for a complete guide for south american cichlids:

Cichlids - South American Cichlids

I would NOT put other South american cichlids in with an Angelfish unless they are dwarf cichlids like rams, kribs, or apistos. Other cichlids would more likely than not tear apart an angelfish.

You could easily do schools of smaller fish, as long as they get big enough to not fit in the angels mouth and they are quick. I have a pair of angels in with Cardinal Tetra and glowlight tetra. A lone angel isnt a bad thing.

Back
Top Bottom