Another epidemic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
k.mascher86 said:
Wouldn't the water condition knock off the fry and the weaker, smaller fish first?

That's what I was thinking from the get go and my buddy would always ask how are the fry? How are the smaller fish?

It's only the mature bigger fish.

I'd think if it were some sort of poisoning you'd have multiple casualties at the same time, or a total tank wipeout. Not saying this is always the case but still, a lower level of some kind of poisoning would likely have some symptoms in fish before killing them. Stuff like hard breathing, lethargy, etc in the weak fish before they succumb to it. I know this has been said a few times already but perfectly healthy looking/acting fish dying randomly overnight just doesn't sound like a random water issue to me honestly.

Yea I just keep going back and forth. I figure this:

Get tap water for peace of mind.

Keep an eye on the tank like I've been doing and hopefully I'll be able to spot something. No deaths to find today and only thing I did different was put the lights on twice during the night and early morning just to check. Maybe the lights going on threw the killer for a loop? Kinda threw it of course with lights going on and off?

I dunno I'm just trying to figure this out.

Well to help narrow things down I plugged the air stone in again. So it's been running now for 2 hours.

I wish you the best convict. I dont think that it is a water problem because if it was a water problem ur bc would hav problems too. Hopefully this is a simple fix, or it solves its self. Good luck

gman42 said:
I wish you the best convict. I dont think that it is a water problem because if it was a water problem ur bc would hav problems too. Hopefully this is a simple fix, or it solves its self. Good luck

Thanks gman! I hope the same. Thanks again.

Also I'd like to ask with the recent oxygen depletion issue I had. Will the air stone really help? I've read countless articles online and also read many posts and articles on Cichlid only forums that make claims that they are pretty much junk and not needed. I turned the outtakes of the fx5 up more towards the surface to agitate it and the AC110 as well is doing a good job since I lowered the water level. I also have the power head diagonally pointed upwards.

I have the 4" air stone plugged back in and remember now why I turned it off. It makes a lot of micro bubbles and it just looks unnatural.

Also I'd like to add, I had some kind of film over the surface the other day, actually the day of the oxygen issue. I dabbed the surface with a paper towel.

My mind is pretty set on a Cichlid gone wild but after turning on the air stone I'm just curious if it really helps. And since I'm sooooo OCD for a natural looking tank the bubble thing is driving me kinda crazy.

image-2321798220.jpg

Also my tank looks so much more open with all those fish dead. This is a sad thread but I hope some learn from it.

Last edited:
It sure sounds like a killer. When one of my fish dies from attack it looks just like your fish.

fish need water airiation except fish like bettas who will gulp air, airstones make oxygen in the water, and also release trapped gasses in water column, plus moving water is alot healthier than stagnent water,

biss444 said:
fish need water airiation except fish like bettas who will gulp air, airstones make oxygen in the water, and also release trapped gasses in water column, plus moving water is alot healthier than stagnent water,

That I understand but a few articles I've read state that say for a 75 gallon tank you would need a substantial amount of bubbles. Seems all over different forums and articles this has been a very debatable subject.

I thought maybe with the outtakes pointed more upwards, the AC110 and power head maybe I didn't need the air stone bubbly thing. I'm staring at the tank and it just takes away from the natural theme IMO.

the only thing i can say is if you take out the airstone keep an eye on your fish, as long as your fish don't get distressed and are gasping at the top, you will probably be ok,i just believe in alot of water movement and airiation for my tanks, i can't remember the last time i had a fish die on me because of illness.

Convict2161 said:
Well that's why I'm doing everything. Getting water tested by the pool company for everything and looking into my tank mates. I'm going to my buddy's store tomorrow and he's gonna right down my entire stock and take a look at some videos I made for him. Hopefully with his help as well as everyone here we can get to the bottom of this.

The only thing that is strange is lights on, dead fish.

Did you get the test results back yet?

Say, ever think of setting up a camcorder or a security camera?

also I'd like to add, I had some kind of film over the surface the other day, actually the day of the oxygen issue. I dabbed the surface with a paper towel.

Hard to say for sure, but the film could certainly have blocked oxygen exchange. I've heard of this type of thing with oil films released from shale or other rock. Any recent rock additions to your tank?

Labenator65000 said:
Did you get the test results back yet?

Say, ever think of setting up a camcorder or a security camera?

Going to bring the water in tomorrow and a camcorder is a awesome idea. Here's what my buddy wrote down. Hopefully it will make more sense to you then it does to me lol.

Copadachromis borleyi,melanochromis johanni, pseudotropheus elongatus, ob peacock, ngara peacock, lemon jake peacock, haplochromis sp 44, haplochromis , nyererreyi, red zebras, assorted pseudotropheus, tropheus, shark cat, botia loaches, yellow labidochromis,Electric blue hap fryeri, looks like three protomelas taeniolatus. That's what he texted me.

Wy Renegade said:
Hard to say for sure, but the film could certainly have blocked oxygen exchange. I've heard of this type of thing with oil films released from shale or other rock. Any recent rock additions to your tank?

No rock but that branch which has been removed.

Was in the middle of my 25% water change when a Orange zebra Mer me on the surface DOA. That's 16-17 now?

Going to bring the water in tomorrow and a camcorder is a awesome idea. Here's what my buddy wrote down. Hopefully it will make more sense to you then it does to me lol.

Copadachromis borleyi,melanochromis johanni, pseudotropheus elongatus, ob peacock, ngara peacock, lemon jake peacock, haplochromis sp 44, haplochromis , nyererreyi, red zebras, assorted pseudotropheus, tropheus, shark cat, botia loaches, yellow labidochromis,Electric blue hap fryeri, looks like three protomelas taeniolatus. That's what he texted me.

Looks like he's compiling a list of the various types of fish (by scientific or genus name) that you have in your tank.

Wy Renegade said:
Looks like he's compiling a list of the various types of fish (by scientific or genus name) that you have in your tank.

Yeah he's a good guy and he's helping also. He thinks like some it's a rouge fish that has claimed the tank as his. That's why he's trying to get my stock list. I asked him to text it to me so I can offer it up to you ladies and gents :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom