Another epidemic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Labenator65000 said:
Well, if you tested the tap water then you really don't know how your tank water is, right? Maybe you are using enough prime. You should take in a sample from your tank, just prior to a PWC and just after adding prime following a PWC, just to see how they compare.

Good idea. I'll do a water change on Thursday and bring a before and after. I was more concerned about what was coming out of my tap. I thought maybe heavy metals or something. But everything came up neg. he said its actually pretty clean but said the chlorine was high for tap.

Andrew McFadden said:
Or you could see if your buddy at the lfs will keep trading every so often when they start feeling a little to comfortable in your tank to keep it fresh.

That honestly could be fun!

Good idea. I'll do a water change on Thursday and bring a before and after. I was more concerned about what was coming out of my tap. I thought maybe heavy metals or something. But everything came up neg. he said its actually pretty clean but said the chlorine was high for tap.

The standard dose of Prime dechlorinates 5mg/l (not the same as ppm but for this application it is close enough) chlorine.

According to that test, assuming .08 means .08% then this is what I pulled up.

800 ppm 0.0800%

I'd check if they were talking % or mg/l or ppm, just to clarify.

Chlorine rapidly dissipates in a system with lots of water turnover, and I believe the chlorine level is totally unrelated to your issue at hand. But if you wanted to be safe you could just get some sodium thiosulfate crystals (this is the active ingredient in dechlorinators) and make a higher concentrated dechlorinator to use when doing water changes. Overdosing dechlorinator doesn't hurt anything so it's not a big deal if you do so, but it does hurt the wallet if you are using a shelf brand dechlorinator. By comparison, a 500ml bottle of Prime is enough to dechlor approx 5000 gallons, for the same price you could get enough sodium thiosulfate crystals to dechlor 50k+ gallons, probably more. Just a thought.

Oh, then you have nothing to worry about, a regular dose of Prime is dechlorinating 5ppm.

From http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Prime.html

Use 1 capful (5 mL) for each 200 L (50 gallons*) of new water. This removes approximately 1 mg/L ammonia, 4 mg/L chloramine, or 5 mg/L chlorine. For smaller doses, please note each cap thread is approx. 1 mL. May be added to aquarium directly, but better if added to new water first. If adding directly to aquarium, base dose on aquarium volume. Sulfur odor is normal. For exceptionally high chloramine concentrations, a double dose may be used safely. To detoxify nitrite in an emergency, up to 5 times normal dose may be used. If temperature is > 30 °C (86 °F) and chlorine or ammonia levels are low, use a half dose.

Convict, you've got quite a support team here trying to help you out, so at least you're not going through this alone.

So assuming that your Chlorine is taken care of with Prime, and all other water parameters are good with no toxins found, you've done your due diligence regarding water quality and really can put it out of your mind as an option.

You are working on possible aggression issues right now and for all you know you may have them resolved. Remember the old camcorders that would record 8 hours of content? That would be ideal to set up at night with just enough ambient lighting to record clearly. With a 2 or 3 tape rotation you would be able to have 24 hour surveillance. That's certainly more reasonable than you staking out at night, hiding behind the couch, etc with night-vision goggles and hoping you catch the perpetrator in the act.

Hey I know
They never do anything in front of you, always behind your back. So why don't you tape a picture of yourself to the tank. Lol J/K thought it would give you a smile

Labenator65000 said:
Convict, you've got quite a support team here trying to help you out, so at least you're not going through this alone.

So assuming that your Chlorine is taken care of with Prime, and all other water parameters are good with no toxins found, you've done your due diligence regarding water quality and really can put it out of your mind as an option.

You are working on possible aggression issues right now and for all you know you may have them resolved. Remember the old camcorders that would record 8 hours of content? That would be ideal to set up at night with just enough ambient lighting to record clearly. With a 2 or 3 tape rotation you would be able to have 24 hour surveillance. That's certainly more reasonable than you staking out at night, hiding behind the couch, etc with night-vision goggles and hoping you catch the perpetrator in the act.

Your right! And I tank ;) all of you for helping me. Camcorder sounds like a great idea. My dad probably has one.

Andrew McFadden said:
Hey I know
They never do anything in front of you, always behind your back. So why don't you tape a picture of yourself to the tank. Lol J/K thought it would give you a smile

Yea lol. That may work too! Haha!

Ok....

Is it possible the tank looks and feels more calm? I'm not just saying this, I've been staring at the tank for 2 hours now and I'm telling you there's a difference. My buddy has the orange zebra and he called me and told me its a nasty fish. He had it in his display tank and moved him to a 55 by himself.

He swears that's the one. I dunno if I could get that lucky on the first shot. But as I sit here an watch my tank after some minor changes. It's almost like a different tank as far as the behavior. It's minus 16 so it looks lighter and it just feels different.

Maybe it's all in my head but I swear something is different.

Labenator65000 said:
That's certainly more reasonable than you staking out at night, hiding behind the couch, etc with night-vision goggles and hoping you catch the perpetrator in the act.

That is a hilarious thought though!

With rogue fish, careless delivery men and who knows what other misadventures I haven't read about yet...

Convict, I'm glad things are looking better :) fingers crossed for a safe arrival on Thursday eh?

Convict2161 said:
Ok....

Is it possible the tank looks and feels more calm? I'm not just saying this, I've been staring at the tank for 2 hours now and I'm telling you there's a difference. My buddy has the orange zebra and he called me and told me its a nasty fish. He had it in his display tank and moved him to a 55 by himself.

He swears that's the one. I dunno if I could get that lucky on the first shot. But as I sit here an watch my tank after some minor changes. It's almost like a different tank as far as the behavior. It's minus 16 so it looks lighter and it just feels different.

Maybe it's all in my head but I swear something is different.

I really do understand what you are saying. When I finally swallowed my pride and traded out the two Venustus that did not belong in the mix with my 55s I breathed a sigh of relief and felt much more at peace, and "the vibe" in the tank was much more relaxed.

Well this is the result of what's been going on with me and my tank. After talking to whom I consider a good friend and a member on the forum. I did some overhauling and redecorating and I even removed some Cichlid stones to open the tank up. It killed me to do it but I can always pack everything back in if need be.

So I need you to please please be honest. All of you know how I pride myself on my aquascaping of my tank. So I want the cold hard truth be honest.

Here it is. Please excuse the water as I stirred up debris and now I'll have to clean the glass and do a water change and gravel vac since I can get too sooooo many places I couldn't before. Then take a look at the last pic! What is it and how the... Did it get into my tank?!?! Is it a sign of what's been going on or is it nothing? Last pic.

image-1665634004.jpg

image-991933622.jpg

image-341905293.jpg

image-3478314644.jpg

image-33522185.jpg

Side tank shot to show how much more open it is and less cluttered.

image-2325193884.jpg

And this just appeared....

image-1399324233.jpg

**NOTE**

Isn't it sad how empty the tank looks? Maybe it's for the better? Maybe I'm just trying to make myself feel better but as you can see I don't think it's an overstocked tank anymore. Looks a lot different no? Do I still have a nice tank? :(

Last edited:
I hate a cluttered tank.........your tank looks awesome! I only have 4 fish in a 55 and they have TONS of space but yet TONS of places to hide. Looks really good convict. Now, what is the shell?

k.mascher86 said:
I hate a cluttered tank.........your tank looks awesome! I only have 4 fish in a 55 and they have TONS of space but yet TONS of places to hide. Looks really good convict. Now, what is the shell?

Thanks! Makes me feel better! I don't know a snail? I haven't seen it before and it's just sticking on the glass. Should I just take it out? Where would it come from?

It looks like those snails that you would find under rocks when you were a kid..........i used to find snails that looked like that all the time. Do you live on the coast or in a damp area?

k.mascher86 said:
It looks like those snails that you would find under rocks when you were a kid..........i used to find snails that looked like that all the time. Do you live on the coast or in a damp area?

Eh... Yeah I guess you could say that. I can walk to the long island sound lol so yea :)

I uses to live in san Diego and i used to find snails like that all the time........but question being, how did it end up in your tank?

k.mascher86 said:
I uses to live in san Diego and i used to find snails like that all the time........but question being, how did it end up in your tank?

Ah... Now that's the million dollar question! Nothing has been added and the branch and driftwood all were boiled in a HUGE lobster pot at the FD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom