Another epidemic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't wanna jump the gun no pun intended. But this guy has been chasing everyone away from the left side of the tank for over an hour already. I have a little tank ready. I may try and get him out and bring him to my buddy, wait a few days or a week and see of things calm down. Not much chasing going on other then this guy. And he's really bright with color. Probably the brightest in the tank. Maybe because he's dominating the tank so he's showing his colors?

He definitely wants the left side of the tank.

image-250987271.jpg

k.mascher86 said:
That fish just looks guilty, all tucked away, staring and mocking you!

Yea right?! He knows what he's been doing and he knows he's been caught. Look at him! That look like go ahead and just an catch me! I dare ya!

I will definitely let you know. I was reading some articles online. Not sure how true it is. But in the case of an over aggressive Cichlid. They say sometimes it will be the brightest, most colorful fish in the tank. Kind of like showing off.

Not sure how true it is... But this fish has the brightest orange with almost a yellow tint to it and it's the second biggest in the tank. He's just chasing everyone away from the entire left side no matter what. Then tucks himself in that hole he didn't even make!!

Ya know now that I think of it. One of my blue haps made that!!! Remember?!

image-2844847143.jpg

image-426253930.jpg

Now he's dead an HE'S in there!!!

image-3606886141.jpg

I don't know much about community tanks, but he does look very guilty (look at him sitting in there!), and I'd say it's worth taking him out asap, see what happens.

Worse case scenario, you rule him out as the culprit.

I'd be going mental with this mystery!

Andrew McFadden said:
Huh I think I'd take him out for a couple days and see

Yea Andy the nets are already in the tank. I also read that sometimes a mature male can become hyper-dominant which this may be the case. He stole that home and killed its maker.

This has to the one. He's top on the suspect list. My wife and eye watched for over an hour and even she said that was one nasty fish. He would chase the fish all the way to the right side and back around again. He's relentless. I have everything standing by. It's gonna be a long night I think. I hope to get him in dark of the night.

image-117056476.jpg

SushiLuckyFin said:
I don't know much about community tanks, but he does look very guilty (look at him sitting in there!), and I'd say it's worth taking him out asap, see what happens.

Worse case scenario, you rule him out as the culprit.

I'd be going mental with this mystery!

Oh it's on believe me. An your right worse case? He's not the one and may re enter the tank. But he does look like he's up to no good!!

image-2069219568.jpg

Convict2161 said:
Going to bring the water in tomorrow and a camcorder is a awesome idea. Here's what my buddy wrote down. Hopefully it will make more sense to you then it does to me lol.

Copadachromis borleyi,melanochromis johanni, pseudotropheus elongatus, ob peacock, ngara peacock, lemon jake peacock, haplochromis sp 44, haplochromis , nyererreyi, red zebras, assorted pseudotropheus, tropheus, shark cat, botia loaches, yellow labidochromis,Electric blue hap fryeri, looks like three protomelas taeniolatus. That's what he texted me.

That's a wide range of temperaments in one tank. Common to your selection, I also have a Red Fin Borleyi, Labs, an EB Hap, and a Red Zebra/Lab mix in a 55 among others and they so far coexist peacefully after about 9 months. However, the EB Hap was a gamble for me: I have seen a couple that are as mean as sin and must exist alone or any other tank mates are killed. As well, I had a Johanni for a few months but had to exchange it because it was too aggressive with the others. I have read in this forum that nearly all Tropheus are quite aggressive. Several Pseudotropheus are aggressive as well. Your Peacocks and Labs are going to be at the bottom of the pecking order in this tank, as they in general are the most peaceful of this selection of species. Purists in this forum discourage mixing Mbuna, Haps, and/or Peacocks. I do it myself, so I can't preach that too loudly or would be hypocritical, but I can echo what others recommend at least.

Do you know the species that have been killed? Are there others of the same species surviving in the tank? Often, conspecific temperament (between same species) is much more aggressive than general temperament (between different species). You obviously have some females in the tank. Are you doing the recommended M:F ratio per species?

We're all pulling for you. You'll get it figured out.

Convict2161 said:
I don't wanna jump the gun no pun intended. But this guy has been chasing everyone away from the left side of the tank for over an hour already. I have a little tank ready. I may try and get him out and bring him to my buddy, wait a few days or a week and see of things calm down. Not much chasing going on other then this guy. And he's really bright with color. Probably the brightest in the tank. Maybe because he's dominating the tank so he's showing his colors?

He definitely wants the left side of the tank.

That's a Red Zebra.

He's been caught and re homed at my buddy's shop. The ones that were killed we're blue haps (2) giraffe (5) 2 unknown badly decomposed. And what I believe to be a tropheus, yellow lab, a smaller orange zebra and a peacock. I think that's it.

I'm at the pool company now.

Chlorine is reading .08 (not sure of that's higher then normal for tap) maybe I need to add more Prime when doing a water change?

Everything else is good.

Convict2161 said:
He's been caught and re homed at my buddy's shop. The ones that were killed we're blue haps (2) giraffe (5) 2 unknown badly decomposed. And what I believe to be a tropheus, yellow lab, a smaller orange zebra and a peacock. I think that's it.

I'm at the pool company now.

Wow some of those are some tough fish. Interesting that the Giraffes (Nimbochromis Venustus) were targeted. Those guys get 10-12" That's really too big for a 75 anyway... You should try completely rearranging the tank weekly for a while until things settle down. It's not good when they've had a chance to decompose, as it causes high Nitrate spikes. Plus rearranging forces everyone to find new territories.

Convict2161 said:
Chlorine is reading .08 (not sure of that's higher then normal for tap) maybe I need to add more Prime when doing a water change?

Everything else is good.

Chlorine should be zero for sure. This sample was from your tank (not your tap), right?

I'm sure its aggression witch equals stress. It is very common with adult African Cichlids to claim a tank or a spot in the tank and protect their territory. Even tho you took the one out that you think it is. It may be a good idea to take all decorations out and put them back in at different spots. ;)

Labenator65000 said:
Wow some of those are some tough fish. Interesting that the Giraffes (Nimbochromis Venustus) were targeted. Those guys get 10-12" That's really too big for a 75 anyway... You should try completely rearranging the tank weekly for a while until things settle down. It's not good when they've had a chance to decompose, as it causes high Nitrate spikes. Plus rearranging forces everyone to find new territories.

Chlorine should be zero for sure. This sample was from your tank (not your tap), right?

I did some rearranging last night and that was tap water tested not tank. I'm wondering if the dose of Prime is enough of thats high. Maybe an extra capful?

Labenator65000 said:

:( beat me to it

Or you could see if your buddy at the lfs will keep trading every so often when they start feeling a little to comfortable in your tank to keep it fresh.

Convict2161 said:
I did some rearranging last night and that was tap water tested not tank. I'm wondering if the dose of Prime is enough of thats high. Maybe an extra capful?

Well, if you tested the tap water then you really don't know how your tank water is, right? Maybe you are using enough prime. You should take in a sample from your tank, just prior to a PWC and just after adding prime following a PWC, just to see how they compare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom