Anyone using in-line heaters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Voodoo Chilli

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've just about decided to go with a cannister filter with my new 55-gallon Tanganyikan tank and I've seen a bit of info about in-line heaters.

Just curious if anyone's using them and what they think about 'em.

Thanks in advance.:)

I think Lonewolfblue is using one right now, the same one I'm planning to buy as soon as I get started on my 29 gallon tank.

I use a Hydor ETH 301 on my 75gallon tank. 300watts. works fine. it holds a stable temp, but like most heaters, don't trust the temp listed on the dial...go off a quality thermometer.

i have a hydor eth 301 like malkore and lone do, i use it with my xp3, it holds temp very stable, but yes dont trust the dial. get a decent digital thermometer and then just keep adjusting the heater every hour or so until u get it right where u want it.

I use the Hydor ETH 301 on my 75G and XP3, and the Hydor ETH 201 on my 29G with my XP2. The only thing to keep in mind is the fitting size. The heater itself is increadibly accurate, keeps temp to within a degree. But don't trust the dial as stated above. Could be a little off, but mine is dead on on both of mine. I use a quality digital thermometer in all my tanks.

they are great. Mine has been running for about 18 months now. very stable temps, and equal heat distribution throughout the tank.

Be sure to get the correct tubing size. I ordered the wrong size because I didn't know and had to send it back. I ended up just buying a regular heater because I was afraid that I couldn't put the tank right up close to the wall with the inline.

Yes, the difference between the ETH 300 and 301 is the tubing size they connect to. Filstar users need the 'x01' models.

Can anyone here comment on what the Eheims and Fluvals would use?

To clarify Hydor ETH models 201 and 300 accept 5/8" or 16 mm intake/return tubing. Model 200 accepts 1/2'' or 12mm intake/return tubing. If you have a Jebo cannister like myself you'll need the model 200 to accept 1/2 inch hose.

quick question. i just ordered a Eheim 2026 and per that link provided above, it has 1/2" out and 5/8" inlet tubing. i have (sometime soon) a 75 gallon tank and need the 300 W heater. does it matter if the heater is on the intake or exhaust?

src said:
Put the heater on the exhaust. That way it doesn't get stuffed full of crud from the tank.

I understand the exhaust (outlet) is perfered.

my question stems from the tubing on the 2026 not being able to support having the heater on the exhaust. the 300w heater needs a 5/8 tube and the suction side of this filter has that size, but not the outlet.

I used to use that same Hydor in-line heater. It was a little over a year old when i got a call while I was at work, from my wife. She said the tank made a popping sound and that smoke was coming up from behind it. I had her unplug everything until I got home. It was the Heater. Maybe some water got inside and shorted it out, not really sure.
Right now I am using a Hydor in tank heater, and do plan on getting another ETH 301 at some point. I was disappointed the unit failed, but it has not put me off using them.

Back
Top Bottom