API Stress+Coat vs API Stress+Zyme

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NonExistant

Aquarium Advice Regular
Are these two products the same which one is better ? I'm currently using Stress + Coat but I feel like a need Stress +Zyme

They're not the same. Stress Coat is a dechlorinator/water conditioner, while Stress Zyme is a bacterial additive.

When are you adding Strees +Coat, or plan to add Stress +Zyme? If you're adding after water changes, I would recommend Seachem Prime as a better alternative to both.

Oh thank you and does prime contain the bacterial additive ?
Hi NonExistant:

No, Prime is a water conditioner that takes care of any chlorine or chloramine that you might have in your tap water. It does other things as well but it is not a bacterial additive like Stress Zyme.

Do you have a specific reason for wanting to use a bacterial additive in your tank?

I just started my 20 gallon aquarium a week ago and my ammonia is 0.50 ppm. I've been doing water changes but it is not changing so I thought that maybe a I should add some bacteria to help it lower the ammonia down

I just started my 20 gallon aquarium a week ago and my ammonia is 0.50 ppm. I've been doing water changes but it is not changing so I thought that maybe a I should add some bacteria to help it lower the ammonia down
Understood. Do you have fish in the tank? If so, the Prime will also help to protect them from ammonia and nitrite poisoning until the nitrogen cycle is established (the water changes are helpful too).

Several people on the forum have reported good results from a product called SafeStart made by Tetra. It apparently has the right species of ammonia- and nitrite-oxidizing bacteria in it to help speed up the establishment of the cycle.

To be honest I don't know much about Stress Zyme as a bacterial additive. Other folks on the forum would likely know more.

Thank you so much! I give the Tetra safe start a try because I as well heard great experience with that product ..I am quite upset that the PetSmart employee told me that StressCoat contain bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom